9/11 2001 (pic heavy)

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

9/11 2001 (pic heavy)

Post by lorin »

Great cities are like the sea. They swallow their dead.
New York has absorbed many horrors through its history, but most traces of them have long since been allowed to vanish.
There was once a place called Five Points, where murderous gangs reigned. You couldn't even find it on a map now. The factory building where young women leapt to their deaths to escape the inferno consuming the Triangle Shirtwaist Co. is a university office. The 1,021 souls who burned in 20 minutes aboard the General Slocum in the East River 107 years ago are remembered by New Yorkers, if at all, because they account for the worst loss of life before Sept. 11, 2001.
New York strides relentlessly forward - a great place if they ever get it done, as the editor of the Commercial Advertiser put it in 1828. Tragedies are history to throw off, a roadblock to progress.
But this time, so far, New Yorkers feel differently. Ten years after the 9/11 attacks, New York's prevailing mood is to resist the city's natural tides of forgetting, of moving on.
Not letting go permeates the city these days. In large ways and small, New Yorkers still are trying to refill the empty sky that Bruce Springsteen mourned.
The words permanent and New York do not sit naturally together. They are almost contradictions. But New Yorkers do seem to be yearning for lasting, if not permanent, connections to their loss.
To experience 9/11 as New Yorkers did, and still are, it helps to realize there were really two 9/11s. There was a global event, seen live on television everywhere. America was attacked, as will be repeated endlessly Sunday.
But it was New York that suffered the grievous wound (Many New Yorkers barely recognize the smoldering Pentagon and the wreckage in Shanksville.). The New York experience of 9/11 was very personal, traumatic and individually horrifying. If we did not lose a close friend or family member, we knew someone who did.
New Yorkers plunging from the towers were not icons of a tragedy. Other New Yorkers watched them fall, disbelieving. Then, later, with the acrid smell in their nostrils, the living searched for their own spouses, parents, children.
"The centers of hundreds upon hundreds of webs of family, friends, work had been torn out," Amy Waldman of Brooklyn writes in her new novel, "The Submission," as she portrays the myriad ways the destruction of the twin towers shuddered through the fabric of the city.
Whether they found who they were searching for that day or not, everyone was afraid, everyone was touched. For a long time even simple things, like the beautiful fall sky, could trigger the chill of recalling the fear.
When the unfamiliar, an earthquake, shook the city the other day, the first thought most New Yorkers had was that another attack was under way. A third of New Yorkers tell the Marist Institutes poll takers that even now, 10 years later, they feel their lives changed forever.
New Yorkers lost colleagues and loved ones. But they lost something else that day, too: the towers themselves.
"There are going to be a whole generation of people growing up and people who never visited New York who will have no conception whatsoever of how big the towers were - how beautiful they were and how iconic they were, how many different vantage points there were where you could see them," says Brian August, who can see that empty space where the towers should be from his roof in Brooklyn.

They weren't graceful or elegant, like the Woolworth or Chrysler buildings. Instead of sweeping upward, they bullied their way into the city skyline. But they were their generation's reaffirmation that here, as Russell Shorto wrote of the Dutch settlement where it began, was The Island at the Center of the World.
The towers were an expression, in aluminum, glass and steel, of that Dutch idea that this was a city where commerce and exchange were more important than nationality or armies. They were, after all, The World Trade Center. So their destruction, as was intended, challenged the faith of New Yorkers in the founding idea of New York itself.
In 1973, this reporter went to his first full-time job, on Cortlandt Street, which deadheaded right into the then newly finished towers. From Cortlandt Street, the towers filled the vista. It was the year of the Watergate hearings. At the office, television blared the latest revelations.
That summer it seemed the American system of government would fall at any moment and the towers would last forever. It turned out the other way around. The American system, for all its struggles, has proven remarkably resilient yet again.
But when the towers fell, something of New York's vision of itself tumbled with them. And New Yorkers have spent 10 years refilling the empty spaces left by the attack.
For Brian August, the effort is literal. He has designed an app to do it. When you hold your mobile phone up toward lower Manhattan, his app imposes an image of the vanished towers on the present scene.
"These lost views conjure vivid memories in much the same way as hearing a favorite song from the past," he explains of his project, which he calls 110stories. " 'Seeing' the towers come to life through your iPhone will transport you back in time. 110 Stories lets each of us show and tell our personal stories and share them with the world."
Hundreds of New Yorkers have donated money so he can complete his project.
This is something new for New Yorkers. In a town that has plowed under cemeteries and repurposed the scenes of dance hall arsons and fatal factory fires, a piece of New York's prime asset, real estate, is now reconsecrated in the mind of the city as hallowed ground.
Not all of ground zero, of course. That would be too un-New York like. After 10 years of squabbling in the most New York of ways, the site of devastation will be shared by a memorial to the dead, a museum, a commuter hub and new commercial towers, one that will soar higher than the trade towers.
Contradictory? Not here. The essence of being a New Yorker, this event has dramatized, is conceding only so much to tragedy. We won't forget, New Yorkers seem to be saying, but we won't bend, either.
For example, even as they say life has been changed, New Yorkers show little sign of making concessions to the possibility that the fire next time could be even worse, according to research at Columbia University. They haven't turned down a corner office on a high floor or done much else to prepare, said Professor Irwin Redlener, director of the university's National Center for Disaster Preparedness. He worries this is a grave mistake.

Whatever else you think of the redevelopment of ground zero, it captures the contradictory impulses of New Yorkers. The new 1 World Trade Center is an act of defiance, taller than the originals. At the same time the memorial at its feet, an unaccustomed act of memory, will be far larger than anything else of the sort in New York, certainly more impressive than the fountain in a neighborhood park honoring the dead of the General Slocum or the plaque on the side of the Triangle Shirtwaist building.

A city, of course, is not monuments or buildings, as Jane Jacobs reminded us. It is people and the communities they make. Some fled New York (no one is quite sure how many left for good after the attack). But others, hundreds of thousands of them, came from all around the world in the years after 9/11.
The ultimate triumph of New York is not the memorial or the museum or the new Freedom Tower. It is the resurgence of life in the streets around ground zero. More people live there today than did on Sept. 10, 2001. They are the closest thing the city will ever have to permanence.

abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=14461719

edited to update

Last edited by lorin on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I will never forget that day. I will die with that day engrained in my memory. I was in my car, five blocks from the towers. I was late for a meeting one block from the towers. I was stressed and pissed off that I was late. I did not see the first plane hit. I, like every New Yorker, never look up. Only tourists look up. It's a matter of pride. Look forward, look down, never look at others and just keep walking. When I saw traffic several blocks from the tower come to an unexpected halt it never occurred to me it might be from above. Skillfully, with the adept knowledge of a well traveled New Yorker, I turned the car and drove the local roots out of the city, worrying about the excuse I would tell my boss as to why I missed the meeting. But within minutes the city came to a halt. Bridges and tunnels closed, you could not move. So I pulled the car over somewhere along the east river. I watched people looking down the banks of the river, across the Wall Street district toward the Hudson. And finally I looked. I saw huge white clouds billowing out of the towers against the most brilliant blue skies I had ever seen. I looked at the people around me, weeping and stunned. Everyone was so confused, so lost in this new found vulnerability.

We lost two residents of my shelter in the towers. Two 18 year old kids in a clerical training class. We did not know they were lost for several days, since many were evacuated and not located for days.

I look now. I look to meet the eyes of that person walking toward me. I look for friends, I look for enemies in the eyes of people around me. I look up now. I look up to see potential threats, I look up to allow the rain to cool my face, I look up to see the brilliant blue skies that will forever remind me of 9/11.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm one of the rare people who didn't know anyone in the WTC. I've never heard that anyone I ever knew personally died there. Seems strange, since everybody else this close to the city knew someone.

It hit me in a different way. I'm not sure exactly where I was when I heard about the first plane hitting. Maybe I heard about it on the radio on my way to drop my daughter off at nursery school. Maybe I heard other parents talking about it in the parking lot when I got there.

I remember hearing about the second plane. I was in the parking lot. Somebody said the other tower was hit by another plane, and I felt exactly like I would if I'd been shot at. Everybody instantly knew we were under attack, and my imagination took over, wondering how bad it was going to be in the next minutes; hours; days. I assumed it would be one thing after another after another. Visions of my children dying were dancing in front of my eyes.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I remember just getting in to my office, checking emails, and the story about the first plane showed up on my browser. I thought 'man, that sucks', then started to work. Then I saw the 2nd plane hit, and that OMG moment when it hit me that this was an attack. We all went to the break room because it had a tv, and watched helplessly as the body count rose, airports were shut down, and the towers fell.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i remember being annoyed that morning because Ger always got up before me and turned the tv on for the morning news and i always liked to wake up quietly. so i was annoyed when he popped out of bed and immediately turned on the tv. a few minutes later i heard him say "oh my god" so i came into the living room to see what he was exclaiming over. we stared, wide-eyed and transfixed as smoke billowed from the first tower, and then the second plane hit. we didn't leave for work (both were working at same company at the time) at our normal time, we just sat there in front of the tv watching events unfold. we knew there would be no work that day. we knew everyone on this coast was doing exactly what we were doing. staring at history. we knew the loss of life was huge. we could not fathom what had taken place.

neither of us have watched the morning news since.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I was getting ready for work when my boss called and told me not to come in. He was in a state of panic that had rendered him nearly incomprehensible, and it sounded like he was saying that downtown SF was under attack. And then he started yelling 'They're bombing New York! Oh my god, they're bombing New York!' and I think he dropped the phone, so I went and turned on the news. I remember watching CNN on and off all day, turning it off because I couldn't stand to watch, then turning it back on because it was impossible to think about anything else. My cousin was there. She survived because she was running late for work, and was just coming out of the subway when the first plane hit.

It doesn't feel like 10 years. It feels like yesterday. At the same time, it feels like something that happened in another lifetime.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I was working in Chicago, in the Loop at the time, but for that day and the following one my office had me signed up for a class that met in a suburb that wasn't easy for me to get to. So that morning I left early, and got to where I needed to be before everything started to happen. The class had started when one of the people broke in with the news that the WTC had been hit by a plane - no mention of the size. The professor said that that was a tragedy but that we should carry on. And so we did. At break time, the ground stop had been done, they had evacuated the Sears Tower and most of the workers in downtown Chicago had gotten back to the train stations to return home. It was a clear day, and I remember the sky absolutely free of jet contrails even though we were maybe 20 miles from O'Hare. We went on until lunch, when the professor said that it was best to go home and that we would make up the classes at a time to be determined.

On the way home, I had the windows down, and at every stoplight, I could hear the radios of the other cars tuned into the news station, as was mine. I stopped at the bar where I sometimes go and the place was filled with people watching the news. It was there where I saw what had happened. I had trouble visualizing it on the way back. There I watched the last building collapse. A good friend of mine came in, she had been worried at first because she thought I had gone to the city.

Not everyone died out east that day. An acquaintance of mine, a nice biker dude, was found dead in his living room a couple of days later, sitting in his chair. The tv in the room was blaring. They figured he had had a heart attack while watching the news.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i was at work at the ramsey prison. when the inmates came in they said there had been an accident at the towers, but nothing was known. julie called momens later, in tears with the news that the towers had been attacked.

we were on a state of emergency that day - not knowing how the inmates would react. i found out first hand that not all shared the sense of loss and horror.

the group of muslim inmates that worked in the kitchen started celebrating - cheering and mocking. i locked all but one up over the next few days. 'creating a disturbance' - on orders from my old school major. the one i didn't lock up would not speak to me again for the two or three years he spent there.

nobody knew if there was another attack coming or if the prisons had been recruiting camps as well.

but eventually things returned to normal. so much so that not on einmate mentioned the anniversary at work on sunday.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

sgt.null wrote: but eventually things returned to normal. so much so that not on einmate mentioned the anniversary at work on sunday.
I find it surprising here as well. There were memorial services but not much discussion. Quiet. I think the low response to this thread is indicative of the nation as a whole. They do not want to look at the 'past'. Perhaps my Jewish upbringing keeps this at the forefront of my thoughts. I was brought up to "never forget", that if you forget the past it will jump up and bite you in the face again.

Perhaps, like the article says, we swallow our dead.
www.wimp.com/empiremind/
Last edited by lorin on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I was in Muswellbrook, New South Wales, Oz, on an archaeological contract. I'd been out to dinner with the other archaeologists up above the caravan park we were staying at. I finally left, leaving Mr Seareach and some new recruit (who was a little bit of an odd-ball...and I'll call him "Joe") up at the restaurant and got into bed. Mr Seareach stumbled in some time after 11.

Around midnight (might have been later, I don't remember), I wake to this hammering on our caravan door. It was Joe. He was hammering on the door and yelling, "The world as we know it has ended!" So I assumed he was just drunk and told him to "p*ss off". He yelled a bit more and then left. I tried to get back to sleep while listening to him knocking on the doors of others of the crew, waking them up.

Then he started hammering on our door again, telling us we had to "wake up!" The world was ending or something. I told him to go away (laced with profanities) and then he yelled "Just turn on the TV!" I told him I would if he f**ked off.

By then Joe had me rattled, so I turned the tv on. Both towers had been hit by then. I watched it with very little comprehension of what was going on. It was so surreal, and I was tired (and probably still a little drunk). I tried to wake up Mr Seareach over and again--I wanted someone there to tell me what I was watching was real--but he was out for the count.

I watched both towers fall and then I decided to turn it off. I didn't know how else to deal with it.

I didn't sleep much and had strange dreams; and in the morning when Mr Seareach woke up I said: "Hijackers in America crashed two planes into the world trade center". He said to me, "Is this a dream?" Somehow he seemed to sum it up with those four words.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I remember it was a beautiful day and as I was pulling in to my work's parking lot the radio was only joking about how Brittney Spears performed on stage with a white snake the previous night, lots of joke and of course....sharks were in the news. Massive swarms off the Florida coast or something. (hence my joking about whenever Spears and sharks are in the news together bad things happen)

By the time I got to my office I noticed that the internet was slow. i got a few calls that some websites (news) weren't coming up.
Then my wife called with some details, she was home watching the news.
Then a few more calls...
Then the chatter at work began.
Then all work pretty much stopped and we were just taking it all in.
My boss said that the Pentagon was hit with something.
We only had an old black and white tv that was 50% static and snow at the office so it was all verbal information at the time.
I went to lunch at a subshop and there was a tv on there.
That's when I finally saw what happened.
We all went home early that day since it was obvious by noontime that no one was going to work anyway.

Within a week they had stopped showing the planes hitting the towers.
"too much" was the term I heard used.
I never agreed.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I was working in my office in The Swamp. My boss had a t.v. in her office, which was connected to mine through a door as I was her administrative assistant, but it wasn't on at the time and neither of us had the radio on yet for the day. The assistant controller (whose office was also connected to mine, but she generally kept the door closed so I wasn't able to hear her radio) came in and asked our boss to put on the t.v. Good Morning America came on. I still remember to this day Charlie Gibson asking, "Was that a loop?" as the second plane hit. And yet, whenever I have seen the "replay" of his coverage of the event, that comment is no longer there...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I had just moved my mom into the House temporarily, and had taken the day off work, in order to return the UHaul. My Lover and I Returned the UHaul, with nothing unusual occuring and decided we should stop at the mall.

We got to the Mall, and the Parking Lot was unusually empty, and there was some security guys hanging out, out front, saying the Mall was closed, due to a Terrorist attack in New York. Went down the road a bit and stopped at Red Lobster for lunch, and that's when we found out what was going on, rather than 10 different Sporting events playing on the myriad of TVs, the news was playing the 2nd Tower being hit, and the smoking/buring of the first tower

Prior years, the 9/11 rememberances have been terribly depressing, so, this year, I decided I would just start my day with a moment of silence and prayer in honor of the Day, and then avoided the news for the rest of the day and kept the TV on the Hallmark Channel (And watching some Classic Tom Baker Doctor Who)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I was driving to work at 3Com that day. I heard, on the local rock station with no reputation for covering news, about a plane hitting a building in NY. No one mentioned anything about the kind of plane involved, so I assumed that the pilot of some small private plane really screwed up. As I was pulling into the parking lot, I called up my wife and told her she should check out the news, some bozo crashed his plane into New York city.

When I got into work, I was curious to check it out myself. The first shock hit when I saw that the CNN web site was DOWN. Nothing on it but a picture of the World Trade center, smoke pouring out of it, and a paragraph. THAT WAS IT. I saw that it was a big passenger plane. I still wasn't scared, and I thought it was a website issue due to the scale of the disaster. (This was 2001: websites, even CNN, weren't very robust.)

At the desk, put the headphones on, listening to the radio, I heard about a second plane, a second crash. ALSO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER. That was when I got scared, when I heard that both planes crashed into the same place. Because that's not a coincidence. I hadn't heard anyone yet mention terrorism or attack .... but I felt it.

Went to cnn.com again. I spent the rest of the day refreshing the CNN website. (Probably I was helping to kill the web server.) They had no news that day at all, except for the one story. My wife, watching at home on the tube (I had one daughter at the time, 2yo), called me to tell me they attacked the pentagon. Not "crash". "Attacked". That not only confirmed my fears, it raised them an order of magnitude. I remember thinking, who has the balls to attack the pentagon in this day and age? I started waiting to hear the news of which country was attacking us.

No one worked that day. We just watched, and spoke to each other about it, and wondered what was happening.

I think the worst thing was the evening news that night. I remember watching it, getting a lot of the blanks filled in, about what was happening. I think (not sure) that that was when I heard about flight 93. About what the passengers did. (Or maybe it was the next day?) That brought tears, I am not afraid to say. I don't think I had humanized it until then.

I remember the rock station didn't play music for about a week. They just covered events. I heard the most poignant interview in my life. An interview with a member of some band I never heard of who happened to be in a hotel near the WTC. Talking about what it was like. The interviewer and interviewee were both women. The question came up, what was the worst part? She started describing, hesitantly, not quite able to say it, starting to cry, and then finally blurting out ... seeing these objects falling from the building, realizing all of a sudden that the objects were people, .... realizing what it must mean that these people thought jumping was the best thing to do .... watching them hit the ground .... I hadn't heard about the jumpers until that point. I am choking up writing this.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

It *was* a beautiful day, wasn't it? I remember the clear blue September sky.

I went to work as usual -- took the bus to Pentagon Metro, got on the Blue Line train, got off at Foggy Bottom and walked to work. Just a few minutes after I got there, the secretary who sat next to me said that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. We had clients with offices there and we were concerned for their safety. She turned on the TV in her partner's office, other folks on the hall came in, and we watched the coverage all morning as the second tower, and then the Pentagon, were hit. We heard that another plane had gone down in Pennsylvania, that the hijacker meant to crash it into the White House or the Capitol -- just a few blocks, really, from our office.

Management told us around 1:00pm that we could go home. I walked back to Foggy Bottom Metro, cops in riot gear on every street corner. I wasn't sure how I was going to get home, but if the trains were running I was going to get on one and see what happened. We went through Pentagon Station but did not stop. I got off at a different station and took a different bus home.

I had been home just a few minutes when Batty walked through the front door. She was so relieved to see me. The administrators at her school had told the students (who had felt the explosion when the plane hit the Pentagon) and she'd been worried all day that something had happened to me.

The administrators at Magickmaker's middle school did not tell the kids. She too felt the explosion from the Pentagon, but their school was under construction, so initially the kids thought it was due to that. Pretty soon, tho, word got out -- some teachers had turned on their classroom TVs, and then parents started coming to get their kids.

Our townhouse was right off of I-395, which is often used as a flight path for helicopters heading for the Pentagon. It was spooky during that time -- the only thing flying was those helicopters.

Metro had planned to upgrade the Pentagon bus bays anyway; this pushed up their timetable. For several months after 9/11, all of the buses that usually went to the Pentagon were rerouted to Pentagon City instead. The platform there is much narrower than at Pentagon, and people would stop at the bottom of the escalator in a gaggle, heedless of the crowds coming down the escalator behind them; I was afraid somebody was going to get pushed off the platform into the path of an oncoming train. The station managers were forever telling people to keep moving and spread out.

At the end of the workday, we'd wait on the street for our buses, smelling the smoke from the fires that were still burning inside the Pentagon. The gaping hole in the side of the building was visible from the highway.

Eventually, the new bus bays opened -- farther away from the Pentagon's doors and with much more security. (It's not unusual to pass one or more soldiers holding automatic weapons while walking from the bus to the Metro station escalators.) There is lettering on the sign at the new station: "In honor of those whose lives were forever changed by the events of September 11, 2001." I found myself tearing up as I read it for the first time. Life had changed for all of us.

Yesterday, I couldn't bring myself to read parts of the paper. I just didn't want to go there again.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Well another year has passed. Memories fade. The media says that this 11th anniversary marks the diminishment of trauma in everyone's mind. Based on the fact that no one has posted maybe they are right. Who knows. Maybe that's good. But I never forget.

Today I was driving into work. It is a crisp beautiful day. The sky is brilliant blue. The same brilliant blue of 9/11/01. I will never forget the sky on that day. I have never ever seen a prettier day. I will never forget the way the white of the smoke from the towers contrasted against the blue. I will never forget the way the roads were closed after the fall of the towers. All the roads were empty. Like an abandoned city.

Watching the people jump from the tower, it was the first time everyone, both my clients, my staff and myself, everyone were one person watching the horror. Never happened before, never happened again. Just on that day, we all stepped outside ourselves and our problems to see the same scene.

I think it is ok to let the pain subside. It is only a natural progression of grief. But it is not ok to forget. Please keep the victims and their families in your heart on this day.
Last edited by lorin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I remember that day vividly. It was 3.55 in the afternoon, I had a pupil arriving for a piano lesson at 4 and I was crossing the landing to go to the loo when I glanced into my son's bedroom. He had the television on and it was showing an aeroplane flying into a building. I asked him what film he was watching - he said "It's not a film". I had to go downstairs and teach for half an hour, but the rest of the day and evening was spent glued to the news. Some of the images above I remember seeing on the television and in the newspapers here. I for one will never forget that day.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I remember this day and I will never forget it. Though I live thousands of miles away on a different continent, separated by an ocean, it felt like my personal world had been attacked. I was glad to find out that non of my many friends from Brooklyn had died, but I felt their grieve and mourned their losses with them.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I was in middle school.
God I hated riding on the bus. That was the worst because I was listening to the radio (as usual) and was the only one who realized what had happened. I had to the stand up and yell at everybody to shut up for the group to pay attention. Weird. Spent the morning in a classroom watching the news and then went to class normally.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i actually remarked to Julie that no one mentioned the day at work this year...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”