Things that are missed out in the film....

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I wish the friendship between Eomer and Aragorn had been emphasized in the films, instead of they meeting face to face just that one time in TTT on the plains of Rohan.

I wish we could have seen at least glimpses of the Elves of Lothlorien holding off Sauron's forces while Aragorn was leading the final charge on Mordor. Also, after Sauron's fall, it would've been nice to see Celeborn and Galadriel rout the remainder of the enemy from their domain and cleanse the land.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

It would have been great if Faramir could have been a good guy from the time he met Frodo, instead of what they did in the movie. Aside from Aragorn, he was the only person who encounters the ring who recognized it as purely evil (i.e. something that could not be used for any good purpose).

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'm with you there, Lyr.

Another thing I wish is that Gandalf's fight with the Balrog had been expanded into a longer scene - basically if we could have seen it from beginning to end. From Gandalf's fall into the deep waters beneath Moria, where he fought the Balrog "under the living earth where time is not counted." That was when the Balrog turned into "a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake." To his pursuit of the demon up the Endless Stair to the peak of Zirakzigil, where Gandalf finally slew the Balrog.

Gandalf the Grey in his fight with the Balrog became Gandalf the Badass! :gandalf: :R

That had the possiblity to be the Best Prologue Ever. Well, okay, maybe not, since the prologue for Fellowship may never be equalled. Still, Gandalf got short-changed here. I heard Jackson say in his commentary for TTT that they couldn't do more of the Balrog fight due to budgetary constraints. Oh, sure, guy, you ran out of money for Gandalf because you spent it instead on sending Sam and Frodo to Osgiliath and turning Faramir into a jerk. :roll:
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

What's with all this movie-version, Faramir bashing...

...look at it this way, if Faramir isn't tempted by the ring, or is really THAT noble, then he trumps Aragorn, confusing the audience...if the Stewards are really that freaking noble, why does the city need so much help? Why does Gondor need a new King?...

...at least I think this is one of the reasons they changed him...along with giving him a much more emotionally involved journey...
Last edited by jacob Raver, sinTempter on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:What's with all this Faramir stuff...I can't stand it..
I thought the story was pretty awesome the way it was originally written. . . and that is why I am complaining about it. :biggrin:

Faramir is the foil to Boromir (his character is there to emphasize Boromir's flaws by exemplifying how Boromir should have reacted), and people who really followed the story and love the books know that there is huge difference between being the steward of a country and being the true king. Before his death even Boromir recognized the King and how vital he was to the country.
Matrixman wrote:Oh, sure, guy, you ran out of money for Gandalf because you spent it instead on sending Sam and Frodo to Osgiliath and turning Faramir into a jerk. :roll:
'Xactly! Is this the 'dumbing down" of Tolkien for American audiences? :roll:

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

K, Wylde, I see your point...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, I'll chime in as being a supporter of movie Faramir. I thought he turned out very nicely.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

I would have loved to see Denethor more like the book version...but I understand Jackson's choice because we just didn't have enough time to make Big D more than one dimensional.

And, funny as it sounds....I absolutely loved seeing Treebeard in the extended cut of TT with Orthanc as the backdrop...I was mesmerized...wish there would've been a bigger scene with him in it without trees behind him with dialogue... :(
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I wish more justification would have been given for Arwen's decision to become mortal besides wanting to have a kid with Aragorn. The Akallabeth has the Valar's herald Eonwe stating that an advantage to mortality is one's soul is not bound to "the circles of the world" after death (and Aragorn emphasizes this as well to Arwen upon his deathbed in The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen), and can go wandering through the universe, whereas Elves cannot. Arwen's decision (which was also the decision of her brothers Elladan and Elrohir, both absent from the film) seems purely emotional and irrational as depicted in the film.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”