Boston/New England 2012 Fest-ivity Discussion

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i am all for some snow- especially during the drought here in texas.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

sgt.null wrote:i am all for some snow- especially during the drought here in texas.
You could bring an extra bag and take some home with you to put in your yard.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Ananda wrote:
sgt.null wrote:i am all for some snow- especially during the drought here in texas.
You could bring an extra bag and take some home with you to put in your yard.
seems an unbeatable plan...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

What's the latest consensus? We're coming up on the time when I need to schedule vacation.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hey Rigel, sorry to hear that, planning vacation so far ahead is a pain. Probably no one else is worried about it yet, so that's why nothing is set yet. But we shall rise to the occasion. (I think we have a date thread somewhere...)
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Well, I can hold off on scheduling it, but most people schedule theirs at the beginning of the new year. Meaning if I wait, I'll be much more limited in the dates I can pick.

On the other hand, if I schedule mine right now, I'm second in line out of eight people. So I can pick almost anytime.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

we are also needing up some word - hoping to schedule some new england time for mrsnull and myself come october.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Time to get serious, who's all in and where will we be? There's a small possibility that I can't go, I'll know more about that in June, but I'm thinking positive. My plan is that I'm going to rent a car here and drive out. I've been to Boston, but really nowhere else in the Northeast. I'd like to take a look around on the ground there.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm still in.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I am in like flint
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I'm in....I live there!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm in, too. Debating whether to drive/fly/take Amtrak/take Megabus. Right now I'm leaning toward the bus, especially since I've gotten myself roped into a road trip to Toronto in early November. 8O Would be nice to know where we're staying in Boston, so I can see whether Megabus is a practical option. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

this sucks - but i won't hav eenough time likely to do it come the fall. :( or money either.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Save up time and money for official 'fest in New Mexico when it occurs then, sarge. You and Julie have to be there!

...as do all Watchers who can possibly make it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly and I are in the "definite maybe" column. Want. Just not sure where her health and a few other concerns will be at that point.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Not sure how far in advance everyone wants to do this...

Do we need to settle on a hotel? What kind of hotel do we want to get, besides 'practically free'?

Are we all sure we want to stay in the city? Just mentioning it because this does add an extra hour if you want to drive into the mountains to see folliage or anything like that.

Other than that, what are we looking for? Pool? Breakfast? A place together and hang out?

I can hunt down some good choices but I just need an idea of what we want to find.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

aliantha wrote:I'm in, too. Debating whether to drive/fly/take Amtrak/take Megabus. Right now I'm leaning toward the bus, especially since I've gotten myself roped into a road trip to Toronto in early November. 8O Would be nice to know where we're staying in Boston, so I can see whether Megabus is a practical option. ;)
Take a bus to NYC and I will chauffeur you north....or we can fly for 35 bucks to Boston. But thinking less selfishly you can probably get a oneway for 50 bucks with Jet Blue from DC.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

need to win lottery.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

lorin wrote:
aliantha wrote:I'm in, too. Debating whether to drive/fly/take Amtrak/take Megabus. Right now I'm leaning toward the bus, especially since I've gotten myself roped into a road trip to Toronto in early November. 8O Would be nice to know where we're staying in Boston, so I can see whether Megabus is a practical option. ;)
Take a bus to NYC and I will chauffeur you north....or we can fly for 35 bucks to Boston. But thinking less selfishly you can probably get a oneway for 50 bucks with Jet Blue from DC.
JetBlue's a possibility, yeah, although I think I'd have to fly out of Dulles, which is more of a hassle than National for me. I could probably get a discounted shuttle ticket out of National through our travel office at work. But Megabus would still be cheapest -- it'd be $50 round-trip, max, and less if I book far enough out (though they only take reservations 3 months in advance). Really, the bus isn't bad. You get free wi-fi, and you can sit up top and get a nice view. :)

The Acela would be great -- lots of legroom, dining car -- but the cost would be :crazy:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Addressing WF's question...

From my years as a road warrior, my standard wish list is:
  • free parking, no valet
    free WiFi
    continental (or better) breakfast included
    pool is nice, whirlpool spa more important
In those days, I also looked for an evening happy hour with comped wine and nibbles...but not so much in the present, especially when travelling with M. She's not much of a drinker...and nibbles won't cut it for her. :P

There are other room-level amenities I try to get, but will work such out with whatever place is chosen.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”