SRD on NPR's top Fantasy/Sci Fi book list

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

bossk
The Gap Into Spam

SRD on NPR's top Fantasy/Sci Fi book list

Post by bossk »

He's a tad low for my taste, but he's there:

www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-p ... tasy-books
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

I have only read 12 of those listings. Then again, I don't really like scifi or fantasy books usually.

Speaking of that, is it worth buying the gap series? And, is it in ebook format if it is worth getting?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Gap is absolutely worth getting/reading. Just be prepared for a very wild roller-coaster ride with some rough spots. If the usual objection to TC squicked you out, there will be similar issues in the Gap books. Even if that does not phase you, there are some points where you will wonder what SRD is doing...but trust him!

As for the e-versions, I know there were initially some big problems with the transcription, which was offshored and badly botched. (Don't blame SRD. This is out of his hands, being a publisher issue. He is pretty frustrated about it, as are all of us.) Thanks in part to efforts by some Watchers, I think much of this got identified...but I don't know whether that led to corrections in the editions being sold. Unless someone more knowledgeble chimes in, I suggest sticking to the "dead tree" (or bound paper) versions.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ananda wrote: Speaking of that, is it worth buying the gap series?
His best books without doubt. If you thought the Chrons were rough, the Gap is, to quote Cj, (where the hell is Cj?) "brutal."

Can't recommend them highly enough.

--A
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Yeah, "brutal" is definitely the word. You'll think Covenant was a fairy tale by comparison. But it's so original and brilliant that you should at least give yourself a try on the first book. If you're not hooked by the end of that one, you can stop.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

bossk wrote:Yeah, "brutal" is definitely the word. You'll think Covenant was a fairy tale by comparison. But it's so original and brilliant that you should at least give yourself a try on the first book. If you're not hooked by the end of that one, you can stop.
Ditto all of that, except I'd give it to the second where the tension and complexity really starts to kick off before dropping it if not interested.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, let's be fair. If what you enjoy about the Chronicles includes the beauty of the Land and/or the nobility of people like Mhoram and Foamfollower etc. ... well, you're not going to find that.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

wayfriend wrote:Well, let's be fair. If what you enjoy about the Chronicles includes the beauty of the Land and/or the nobility of people like Mhoram and Foamfollower etc. ... well, you're not going to find that.
This made me laugh ;)

Not quite fair, though... Warden is certainly a noble character.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”