What's in your reading queue?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Menolly wrote:
Orlion wrote:Don Quijote: Miguel Cervantes
The only way I know Don Quijote, thanks to my mom's copy of the original Broadway cast album...
Oh, that brings back memories. We watched the Peter O'Toole film on our honeymoon night! Never watched telly in bed before :)
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
Krazy Kat wrote: Me neither. Although, Silmarillion rhymes with Silver Rings.
The three Elven Rings before they went into hidding maybe?
Nah, the rings weren't made yet. Sauron was just a lackey of Morgoth.

The Silmarils are gem thingies. Can't remember where they came from.

I'm not a huge Tolkien fan...don't like his writing style and the first 200 pages of LotR is just brutal.
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/File:D.W._Luebb ... dreams.jpg

Blood and Thunder (part II) - Hampton Sides

555 Timer Projects - E A Parr

Jung - Anthony Storr

Planet Narnia - Michael Ward
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote:
Avatar wrote:I actually have a queue for a change!

The Neutronium Alchemist
The Naked God
The Judging Eye
White Luck Warrior
Death of Kings
Azincourt
Memoirs of Cleopatra
The Regulators
Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles

Oh please. You'll blow through that in three days. :lol:
Hahaha, nah, most of them are pretty thick...figure this covers me for a month. :D
Ok, I might have over-estimated that, but not by too much. :lol:

The first 6 in 15 days, so figure another week or so for the last 3. *sigh* It's a hard life. :lol:

--A
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Krazy Kat wrote: Nah, the rings weren't made yet. Sauron was just a lackey of Morgoth.

I'm not a huge Tolkien fan...don't like his writing style and the first 200 pages of LotR is just brutal.
8O You RAVE!!! Them's fightin' words!!!!

:P

I have such a ridiculous reading queue it's ...ridiculous. CURRENTLY (right now) I am working my way through:

The Power That Preserves
How Now Shall We Live?
Notes on New Testament Introduction
Church History: An Essential Guide
Discipline Survival Guide For the Secondary Teacher
And reams of notes left by a departed colleague who had a doctorate, and I don't always understand them. :oops:
I also read the Bible every morning.
And spent Friday evening reading 9th grade essays. (which was actually kind of fun-- only one was actually bad.)

So, I no longer miss reading. Lately it's about all I do!!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

:ct12: :crazy:
deer of the dawn wrote:
Krazy Kat wrote: Nah, the rings weren't made yet. Sauron was just a lackey of Morgoth.

8O You RAVE!!! Them's fightin' words!!!!

:P

:3M:

The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man: Burton & Swinburne

4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rxofq1xW8Ng/TWwcV4qCw4I/AAAAAAAABas/qsY6r-83US8/s1600/the-curious-case-of-the-clockwork-man-mark-hodder-UK.jpg

Post by Avatar »

Happy birthday me. Just got a delivery of the three Conn Igulden "Rome" books I was waiting for, so now I have all 5 in my queue.

--A

Post by Avatar »

And just got Bard, by Morgan Llewellyn, as well as Druids and the sequel to that which I didn't know existed, The Greener Shore[/]. My queue is looking up. :D Also got 2 books of Igulden's Genghis Khan series, so need the rest of that.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Picked up the new Saxon Chronicles book by Bernard Cornwell, and the first of Igulden's Genghis Khan series, completing that one. So now I have all five of those, the Cornwell book, and the fantasy ones I mentioned in that forum to read.

--A
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

When I have finished the last two books of the second chronicles, I really want to read a couple of Thomas Hardy novels I haven't read (or owned) for many, many years. I'll go and buy copies of Return of the Native and Tess of the d'Urbevilles.

I always loved Hardy from the time I had to read Return of the Native in high school, and a few years later started picking up his other novels. There are still a couple I have never read, so I'll get round to those at some point too.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I just finished a mystery called Heart Chants by Randy Attwood. Really good. Reminds me of Tony Hillerman, a little bit. It's #2 in a series; I'll be looking for #1 here directly. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I did intend to buy a couple of Hardy novels and start reading them, but I've been distracted by Burroughs and Kafka.

Might just follow that train of thought and look at some of the darker stuff in my library that I haven't touched for a while.
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

There's a couple books being released in a few days that I'm kind of waiting for.

In no particular order ...
1) An Unwelcome Quest: Magic 2.0, Book 3 by Scott Meyer
2) The Hidden Masters of Marandur: The Pillars of Reality, Book 2 by Jack Campbell
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

for my birthday Julie bought some books from Half Price Books for me.

Our Team : Our Time - New Orleans Saints 2009 World Championship.

Edie by Jean Stein (biography of Edie Sedgewick)

the Courthouses of Texas - a guide by Mavis P. Kelsey Sr. and Donald Dyal (published in 1993 - all 254 Texas county courthouses)

and three magazines...

Life (Sept 8th 1967) - Carl Yastrzemski cover and story about the '67 pennant race)

Sports Illustrated (July 7th, 1975) - Fred Lynn cover, Red Sox story.

Sports Illustrated (July 28th 1975) - WFL cover and story. Warfield, Csonka and Kiick are the WFL players on the cover.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King and I love it! After that it's getting serious with a 1648 tome by a guy named Burroughs-- The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. It's been too long since I read anything really old. Well, except I read and journal on the Bible every day. That certainly qualifies. :)

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

loads and loads and loads of graphic novels from the library.

I have mentioned this before, but will update for fans...

our county in Texas is Brazoria. our library system allows me to check out books from any library in our county. and I can (and often do) get online and order any book from any library in our county and have it delivered for pickup at the local branch. (Angleton - btw)

our library is considered the hub as we are the county seat. Julie and I have visited each of the libraries. I check out dozens of graphic novels each month. along with loads of magazines, dvds, older books and the newest stuff to come in.

our libraries : Alvin, Angleton, Brazoria, Clute. Danbury, Freeport, Lake Jackson, Manvel, Pearland, Pearland Westside, Sweeny, West Columbia.

each has it's own charm. Pearland West having been built within the last couple of years to match the huge population explosion. and some are down-right tiny. all are becoming more computer focused, as the citizens demand more of that from their library. the also have book clubs at each locale. (scheduling conflicts with my stupid job.)

they have various events and such going on. booksales as well.

I love our library system.

and the book next up is about the elements. giving a short history of each and details about the uses of each element. has very nice pictures as well. :)

it was an impulse "buy" - sitting on the new books rack.

I discovered Alan Lightman that way. (Einstein's Dreams)

go on and have a look at our awesome library system for yourselves...
catalog.bcls.lib.tx.us/polaris/default.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.1
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

deer wrote:After that it's getting serious with a 1648 tome by a guy named Burroughs-- The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment.
Cool. 8)

Sarge- I enjoyed your description of the library system.

The book on the elements sounds fun.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

linna - the elements book is great.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

What's the title of the elements book?
And is it like something printed decades ago with old-school color plates? (I guess this because it could fit your sense of aesthetics.)

As for me, there are things that are in my reading queue and have been for way too long, begun but not finished:
"Knowing God" by J.I. Packer,
"Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands" by Paul David Tripp, and
"Confessions" by Augustine of Hippo

Will their pages see the light of day?!?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I am in book 2 of the Southern Reach Trilogy and think it's way cool except for lifting the 3-POV idea from Iain Pears who already executed it with mind-blowing finesse.

Also got book 1 of Eternal Sky to check it out.

I have my late brother-in-law's Kindle, and he left a bunch of legal thrillers on it. I enjoy those, but can't read them one after another. They're a great change of pace after sci-fi or fantasy, though. Baldacci, Scalzi, Grisham, Conway, that sort of thing.

I'm between classes for my Masters, but am kind of looking forward to reading Balancing Change and Tradition or something like that.

I think I need to re-read George Borrow's books. Lavengro and Romany Rye changed my outlook on the minds of 19th century people. And I've said it before, but I imagine a pub table in Heaven where Tolkien, Lewis, and Borrow are having a chat, and Tolkien and Borrow go off about philology and Lewis just rolls his eyes.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”