Foamfollower (edited)

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Foamfollower (edited)

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

(Details why he looks like something straight out of Finnish mythology in this discussion, scroll down to my 1st post.)

Sorry huge files, but I have a bad habit of overindulging in detail. Shirtless fanservice version comes later (and you can blame Ananda for that... :P).

Comments most welcome!
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu May 09, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Awesome again. I presume this is the same as the earlier piece, but more filled in and stuff?

BTW, is this a particular scene or time? I can't place it if so.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

With TC bearing a staff and glowering at FF, who has a sack of provisions, I assumed that this was during the journey up the Soulsease to Revelstone in LFB. Clearly, they are not in FF's skiff and I don't remember whether they ever stopped on land during that trip, so the setting might not be right, but the props and Covenant's attitude toward Foamfollower seem to match that period.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Very nice. Looking forward to the shirtless version too!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks, everyone!

This is the same image, or the older's been cropped from it and has the ugly bluelines underneath. Doesn't represent a specific moment, and since it's drawn from memory rather than reffing the book, might be one of those off-scene instances that sort of 'sit with the plot' but don't get a lavish description. And, since we're not addressing GRRM's works, one might expect those; SRD doesn't ramble on for half a page about TC going into the bushes to do his business, for one. :roll:

It's also more generic since it started off as FF standing in a more refined ambassador garb. The composition appeared awful; began from scratch with him in a more level position, yet didn't want to turn it into another boat image, as marineguy had just rendered one. Drr...might've inadvertently taken some subliminal influences from it, though, now that I compare the angle...but it's difficult to get two creatures with such a preposterous size difference interacting believably in a static image if there's a yawning abyss between their faces.

I remember details better from the 2nd chrons, but should probably re-read the 1st set again next year.
Ananda wrote:Very nice. Looking forward to the shirtless version too!
What's the (un)official opinion on six-packs and body hair among Rocksisters? ;) :biggrin:

Heyy...sorry to pester, but did you read the fic-thingy; remember you saying something about Monday-ish? I'd have a semi-free weekend coming, and could've started editing it (if not grammar yet, then at least the other stuff), if you had any input.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Wow, Zorm. Awesome rendering!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

To match all the extant cover art and get a proper frontal shot of his face... :lol: So he isn't your peach-cheeked sparklebishounen, and that brow ridge would make any Neanderthal jealous, but whoever said something like 'oak trees come alive' had to begin winning beauty contests?

Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu May 09, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Really excellent work! Nice job Zorm!
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Well, hello there! :lol:
And.. WOW!
Love his hands.
And his tummy fluff.
And his tummy!
And his pants.

Phew....
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

hihi never thought I could view a giant as sexy before! Really nice, Zorm! And yes, sorry, still stuck on reading. If it makes you feel better, your story is the last thing Ive read. Been crazy here a bit.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

Amazing, Zorm... although we've come to expect no less from you. :D

Though what really blows me away here is the background. Those clouds and waves are actually moving! ...or maybe it's just me reaching new levels of caffeine poisoning at work. :biggrin:
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks, everyone!
Ahem. Supposedly the fanservice image served its purpose. :P Albeit not comely by modern beauty standards, I never considered the male Giants as misshapen or ugly or anything of that ilk. Just bulkier and 'gnarlier' than the figures in Finnic giant legend illustrations (another Kalevipoeg example here, full frontal nudity).
Khazduk wrote:Those clouds and waves are actually moving
The sky's shopped from a photo I took down in the harbor, but everything else is hand-drawn or airbrushed (incl. the sea). Digital art's very much a mixed media, but there's always the challenge of getting the different elements to blend at least half-believably with one another (not always succeeding with that, but practice helps...).

Ananda wrote:And yes, sorry, still stuck on reading-- Been crazy here a bit.
No worries, thought you might be busy with RL. Good luck with whatever's making the hours crazy.
Also, if it helps getting past the mushy bits near the end...didn't type all of it with an entirely straight face. I believe I mentioned something about borderline crack pairings, no matter how much I might like them, in another thread here...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I very much like this Foamfollower. I think that 'gnarlier' exactly captures the idea of Donaldson's giants. Foamfollower in particular he described as "gnarled with muscles, like an oak come to life".

You should try some different kinds of beards, though. This Foamy has a rather limp, dare I say flacid, beard. A Giant's beard, I feel, should be stiff and jutting, and, because they are sailors, trimmed. (So as not to get entangled in the ropes, etc.) "A short beard, as stiff as iron, jutted from his face." Of course, it's your interpretation, but you may like it.

Not giving it a huge amount of effort, I found animage that seems to capture what I mean about a sailor's beard. Like this. But cool.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh
my
god!

AWESOME work again Zorm!!!

see this fella here is probably my favorite donaldson character ever.

thanks. thanks for giving him a face for me. /hugs
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at