Low-iodine diet

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Low-iodine diet

Post by Menolly »

Alright all.

In about a month, I need to go on a "low-iodine" diet for two weeks in preparation for the radioactive uptake I'll be doing in about six weeks. I was given a guideline of what the diet entails, and it definitely seems extremely limited: nothing from the sea at all, no dairy at all, beans are pretty much out (including tofu *pout*), no whole eggs or egg yolks, and no commercially prepared foods including bakery products except for no-salt matzah. This includes most grocery items, as most contain salt and it is difficult to determine if it is iodized salt or not. The oncologist says "better play it safe regarding prepared foods."

I can have: fresh fruit; fresh or frozen vegetables; unsalted nuts and nut butters; egg whites; up to 6 oz a day of fresh meats; grain, cereals, and pasta without high-iodine ingredients; sugar, jelly, jam, honey, and maple syrup; herbs and spices, and most soft drinks.

Surprisingly, salt is not limited, as long as it is non-iodized salt. Sea salt is out, since it is a product of the sea. I think most regular kosher salt is iodine free, but I have been purchasing kosher sea salt lately so I'll need to double check.

The limit on meat and dairy strikes me as telling me to stop low carbing for this period, so I'll need to totally adjust my thinking for while. I do believe I'll allow myself to indulge in some much missed steel cut oats at this time. I usually enjoy them with lots of butter, brown sugar, and half and half though, so I'll need to find other additives. Non-dairy creamer is also out.

The guideline has a link to an online cookbook at www.thyca.org which I will admit to not yet checking out. I will definitely be visiting it to start planning the two weeks worth of meals, but I would much prefer tried and true ideas from those I trust.

Let's brainstorm a menu plan together, shall we?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Would you be able to have almond milk? Or does that have salt in it? I'm thinking it work as a nondairy alternative for your oatmeal. In any case, you could go with fruit as a topping instead of brown sugar and butter. My default oatmeal topping for a long time was chunks of dried apricot and a sprinkle of cinnamon -- no sugar at all.

As for the rest...yeesh. It would be really hard for me to give up dairy. At least it's only for two weeks.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:Would you be able to have almond milk? Or does that have salt in it? I'm thinking it work as a nondairy alternative for your oatmeal.

Blue Diamond lists sea salt as an ingredient. Probably the rest are similar.
I wonder if I could make home made almond milk though...

This just might work, especially if I get some kosher salt.
aliantha wrote:In any case, you could go with fruit as a topping instead of brown sugar and butter. My default oatmeal topping for a long time was chunks of dried apricot and a sprinkle of cinnamon -- no sugar at all.
That sounds yummy. I might find something. Maybe banana, as I've missed those as well.
aliantha wrote:As for the rest...yeesh. It would be really hard for me to give up dairy. At least it's only for two weeks.
True, but you've already given me some great ideas. Thanks!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:
aliantha wrote:Would you be able to have almond milk? Or does that have salt in it? I'm thinking it work as a nondairy alternative for your oatmeal.

Blue Diamond lists sea salt as an ingredient. Probably the rest are similar.
I wonder if I could make home made almond milk though...

This just might work, especially if I get some kosher salt.
Wow, that looks stupid easy. *I* might have to try that...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

I was gonna ask
Where you grab to milk almonds
But your link answered
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: Low-iodine diet

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Menolly wrote:beans are pretty much out (including tofu *pout*)
Hey, Menolly!

I looked at the cookbook... (so much easier to do when it doesn't affect me - and by that I even mean "I don't have to cook anything" - lol!)
Chickpeas and black beans are allowed if you soak dry ones and cook them up yourself!! :banana:

But yeah, I see most of the other common varieties are out... and maybe your doctor or whoever figured, "who in the U.S. normally engages in so much prep work as to soak and cook dried beans anyways?" ;)

They have a gypsy soup recipe involving pumpkins and chickpeas... and of course there's hummus, and chickpeas to throw in salad and maybe you can do a curry.

Also, somewhere I got the idea that if the carbs were "brown," (i.e. whole wheat/brown rice) they weren't as bad for diabetic diets?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Re: Low-iodine diet

Post by Menolly »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Menolly wrote:beans are pretty much out (including tofu *pout*)
Hey, Menolly!

I looked at the cookbook... (so much easier to do when it doesn't affect me - and by that I even mean "I don't have to cook anything" - lol!)
Chickpeas and black beans are allowed if you soak dry ones and cook them up yourself!! :banana:

But yeah, I see most of the other common varieties are out... and maybe your doctor or whoever figured, "who in the U.S. normally engages in so much prep work as to soak and cook dried beans anyways?" ;)

They have a gypsy soup recipe involving pumpkins and chickpeas... and of course there's hummus, and chickpeas to throw in salad and maybe you can do a curry.
Thanks Linna. I really do need to look through the cookbook itself.
Linna Heartlistener wrote:Also, somewhere I got the idea that if the carbs were "brown," (i.e. whole wheat/brown rice) they weren't as bad for diabetic diets?
Complex carbohydrates are definitely lower on the glycemic index than simple carbs, but I've been doing more of a modified Atkins low carb diet since being diagnosed than following standard diabetic recommendations, which seems to be working for me both blood sugar numbers wise and for slow weight loss.

Again, especially since I'll be limited to 6 oz of meat a day during this two week period, sticking with Atkins will be right out. But commercially baked products are out too, so I imagine most simple carbs won't be tempting me. :)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

What about vital wheat gluten and flower? I prepare chickpeas myself most of the time, and with those two ingredients and some spices, one can make some pretty awesome chickpea cutlets! Really, the only ingredient that might not do is the vegetable broth, but frankly, you don't need it. It's chewey, filling, and goes great with various preserves!

Sucks about the tofu, though. Also: is anything 'kosher' all right so long as it doesn't come from the sea? *looking at some things* damn, it's got sea salt... no matter, with chickpeas, you can also make FALAFEL!!! :faint:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

First night of the two week diet.

I'm thinking tonight will be pasta and broccoli in olive oil and garlic, add some of my fresh basil, kosher salt, cracked mixed pepper corns, granulated garlic, and sauteed chicken breast. Put out grated romano for the guys to add. I know I'll miss that, but I actually drank my coffee black this morning and managed to get it down, surprise, surprise. The diet says I can have up to four "servings" of pasta or grains a day, but does not say how large a serving is, not that I can find, anyway. Unless they mean what is called a serving on the packaging, if the labeling for pasta is standard (2 oz. dry = 1 serving). That would mean I could have 8 oz. over the course of a day.

I used to be able to eat that much in one sitting, but I think I should aim for less than that tonight, especially after low carbing for so long. Plus, I haven't had my serving of meat yet, so will enjoy the 6 oz. of chicken.

And salad is unlimited, with oil and vinegar. So I can round out any unfilled corners with that, if need be.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If memory serves, a serving of pasta is a half-cup of dry or a cup of prepared. And yes, my handy-dandy spaghetti measurer calls 2 oz. one serving.

EZ Board Survivor

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Day one of this diet was yesterday. Didn't go too badly. Had a couple of hard boiled eggs sans yolks for breakfast and I did make the sauteed b/s skinless chicken breast in olive oil and garlic. I then deglazed the pan with whole grain pasta and broccoli water, allowed it to thicken a little by boiling, and added some seasoning. Tossed the pasta and broccoli in the "sauce" and called it dinner.

The hardest was going without dairy. I attempted drinking my coffee black with splenda, and managed to get it down, but ick.
However...

whoa
I went ahead and made home made almond milk this morning, using real vanilla bean, kosher salt, and splenda for flavoring. It is way better than what I bought from a store a few months back, which I can't have on the diet anyway since it is made with sea salt. And after drinking my coffee black with splenda yesterday, it is whitening my coffee just fine, yay! I'm looking forward to trying it in some steel cut oats for breakfast one morning.

This morning got off to a late start. I had a banana with fresh ground no-salt peanut butter, a treat since I don't eat much of either while low carbing. I am usually a Jif girl, though, so I doctored the fresh ground with some kosher salt and several packets of splenda. Still doesn't compare to Jif, IMO. But is still a treat.

No idea what I want for dinner tonight...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Day Two:

The banana and peanut butter held me most of the day; all I had mid-afternoon was an individual Publix Greenwise organic applesauce cup (strictly organic apples and purified water. no sweeteners nor preservatives of any kind). Dinner was a "serving" of the pasta and broccoli from last night (all that was left) and a small bowl of field greens, sliced mushrooms, and grape tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Oh, and the almond milk is still blowing me away. Tomorrow's breakfast is so going to be steel cut oats with the home made almond milk. I wonder if I can cook the steel cut oats in it, instead of water. Like I do for rolled oats in cow's milk.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:I wonder if I can cook the steel cut oats in it, instead of water. Like I do for rolled oats in cow's milk.
I don't see why not. And if it doesn't work, the worst thing that can happen is that you'll be out a half-cup of oatmeal and a cup of almond milk. :)

I forgot about that recipe, btw. I need to try that this weekend.

EZ Board Survivor

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Day two sounds a little short on protein. One day like that is OK, especially with the chicken you had Wednesday evening...but over the term of this diet, please try to maintain a balance. Keep your core self healthy, that you maintain the resources that will get you through the process of dealing with the non-core unwellness.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[note to self]
Cooking steel cut outs in almond milk is awesome, especially as additional sweetener is not needed. However, since you can't use butter nor other dairy products at this time, and you like your oats more soupy than porridge-y, cook in water so you can then use the almond milk to thin them out.
[/note to self]
Savor Dam wrote:Day two sounds a little short on protein. One day like that is OK, especially with the chicken you had Wednesday evening...but over the term of this diet, please try to maintain a balance. Keep your core self healthy, that you maintain the resources that will get you through the process of dealing with the non-core unwellness.
Yeah, although I did pig out on the peanut butter and banana. Since I had the steel cut oats for breakfast today, the peanut butter and banana is up for lunch. Up in the air regarding dinner, but am finding I am already missing the option of a quick tuna or egg salad. Even an egg white salad, but without being able to use mayonnaise...

Ah well.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:I forgot about that recipe, btw. I need to try that this weekend.
I mostly followed this recipe instead, modifying it to the ingredients I use. It's basically the same though, just uses less water for a thicker end result.

I soaked the nuts overnight in regular tap water.
I used Publix brand spring water, rather than "purified" water, for the recipe itself.
I have free vanilla beans I received as a bonus when I ordered Ceylon ("True") Cinnamon from My Spice Sage, so instead of vanilla extract I sliced open a bean, scraped out the seeds, and then because I have a Blendtec blender (I have heard it is the brand Starbucks uses) which is quite powerful, and was going to strain the milk anyway, I tossed the chopped and scraped vanilla pod into the mix as well.
I added six packets of Splenda. My box says that is the equivalent to 1/4 cup of sugar, which I figured would be fairly close to the four tablespoons of other sweeteners called for in the recipe. When first made, I thought the sweetness was a bit low, but after being chilled, I think I'll try cutting back to four packets.
I used a new nylon knee high to strain, attached to the jar with a rubber band, which I am rinsing between uses. It works great!

I got about 3.5 cups of strained almond milk all told.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh, I forgot to add since I can't have any products from the sea, including sea salt (which is why I didn't try purchasing almond milk, as they all contain "salt," which could be iodized salt, or "sea salt," which I can't have), I substitute kosher salt for the Celtic sea salt in the recipe.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'm wondering if my favourite ever non-alcoholic drink even though I've only drunk it once is similar to your almond milk, Menolly?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I see what you mean about the water-to-nuts ratio in the two recipes. And I was wondering whether honey would work as a sweetener. Both of the recipes suggest agave nectar as an alternative, but no one's suggested honey. I suppose you might have to cut back a bit on the other liquids.

I've got a small mesh strainer; I'll probably use that to strain the almond milk, as I don't mind a few chunks.

My only other issue is that I don't have a regular blender. All I have is a hand blender. I suppose it will work. Maybe. Maybe if I chop up the nuts first and then soak them, it will work better. Probably won't need as much soaking time, either. Hmm.

EZ Board Survivor

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:I'm wondering if my favourite ever non-alcoholic drink even though I've only drunk it once is similar to your almond milk, Menolly?
It sure does sound similar, Stone!
aliantha wrote:I see what you mean about the water-to-nuts ratio in the two recipes. And I was wondering whether honey would work as a sweetener. Both of the recipes suggest agave nectar as an alternative, but no one's suggested honey. I suppose you might have to cut back a bit on the other liquids.
Hang on. Let me check the recipe book that came with the Blendtec. They have a nut milk recipe in there and I'm thinking it suggests honey, or there is a substitution list for using honey in place of molasses in the front of the book, and their recipe calls for molasses...

Yeah, OK. That recipe calls for 3/4 cup "nut of choice," and 3.75 cups of water. Then 3 tsp of molasses, 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract, and 1/4 tsp salt. It really didn't appeal as much to me, but in the front of the book it says in order to substitute honey for molasses you use half as much. The example is a half a cup of honey for 1 cup of molasses. I'm not sure if that helps; my assumption would be honey could substitute one for one for agave nectar fairly accurately, but I could be totally wrong there.
aliantha wrote:I've got a small mesh strainer; I'll probably use that to strain the almond milk, as I don't mind a few chunks.
It should work. Especially if you do like the "rustic whole milk" texture, that Tessa (I think that's her name, she posted on Scott Brick's FB page) describes in the recipe I used.
aliantha wrote:My only other issue is that I don't have a regular blender. All I have is a hand blender.
An immersion blender, like Emeril calls a "boat motor?" I don't know. Hopefully the soaking will help first, but I find the nuts are better emulsified at the higher speeds.

Now, the recipe in the blender booklet calls for making nut paste/butter with the blender instead of soaking the nuts, and then adding the water and proceeding from there. Again, that didn't appeal to me, but if you have a grinder or mill of some sort to make home made nut paste, you could try that method if the hand blender doesn't grind the soaked almonds.

aliantha wrote:I suppose it will work. Maybe. Maybe if I chop up the nuts first and then soak them, it will work better. Probably won't need as much soaking time, either. Hmm.
Maybe starting with either sliced or slivered almonds and soaking might be an alternative as well. But I'm really not one to tweak recipes the first time I try them.

Let me know how it goes!

Return to “The Galley”