Anyone here seen the "Requires... Hate" Blog

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

This is some very intresting analysis regarding RotyH:

laurajmixon.com/2014/11/a-report-on-damage-done-by-one-individual-under-several-names/
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

My god, she is definitively a Horrible Person. I can't believe what she has done isn't criminal. Thanks for that link, SS. Quite an interesting read.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zarathustra wrote:My god, she is definitively a Horrible Person. I can't believe what she has done isn't criminal. Thanks for that link, SS. Quite an interesting read.
Have you also read some of the comments? I never knew the extent of her harassment.... up to the point of compelling authors to change their manuscript because they didn't meet her sensibilities!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You mean the time she was asked for an honest critique and gave it?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm Murrin wrote:You mean the time she was asked for an honest critique and gave it?
I do not know, it was one example out of 30+ of documented harassment, so even if that one example is thrown out we still have a pretty disturbing portrait.

Not that you ever had to ask her to get an "honest" critique on anything... sometimes, she didn't even have to read it!
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

SerScot wrote:This is some very intresting analysis regarding RotyH:

laurajmixon.com/2014/11/a-report-on-damage-done-by-one-individual-under-several-names/
8O Wow. What a piece of work this woman is...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

aliantha wrote:
SerScot wrote:This is some very intresting analysis regarding RotyH:

8O Wow. What a piece of work this woman is...
Assuming it is, after all, a woman and not some rich lawyer from L.A. with a stick up his ass about sci-fi authors pretending to be a lesbian Thai woman.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

What is a bit disturbing to is that the ripples from this appear to be spreading to hit others too.

This is Alex Dally MacFarlane's response to Ms. Mixon's allegations:

www.alexdallymacfarlane.com/2014/11/lie ... d-reports/
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Here's another account of BS/RH's activities:

www.starshipnivan.com/blog/?p=9077
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

A defense of RH/BS, or an attack on those who refuse to see RH/BS as a victim too:

silence-without.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/the-long-campaign-against-racism-bogged.html?m=1
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's not so much a defense, as it is a calling out of those who only criticise RH/BS, along with other things that have happened surrounding that issue. I'd say the post (which I read a couple days back) is not something I entirely agree with* but it's a perspective that is important to look at.

*Not that I'm in a position to speak on such things.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Murrin,

It is an interesting perspective. My problem is the way the author refuses to name RH/BS and only refers to her as "the Victim". It's a rhetorical method to distance RH/BS from what she did. Further, she is, to my mind, twisting the narrative. Suggesting that those coming out and telling their stories about their run in's RH/BS and her cohorts are somehow on par with RH/BS in doing what she did.

Respectfully to Tessa, RH/BS being a "POC" in no way excuses or diminishes what she did for going on a decade.
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

SerScot wrote:A defense of RH/BS, or an attack on those who refuse to see RH/BS as a victim too:

silence-without.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/the-long-campaign-against-racism-bogged.html?m=1
I couldn't finish it. So much anger ...

You know, I got through about half of that and my thought was "how come I never get invited to the White meetings where it's decided who gets the racist/sexist treatment this month?" There's a lot of talk of hegemony among the white power structure, and maybe at the top end there is, but there doesn't seem to be much room in this woman's world view for the idea of a white male who genuinely doesn't give a damn what colour your skin is, or which gender you like to suck face with.

As much as I can understand the feelings leading up to that world view, that's some of the stuff that has to change before true progress can be made. After all, what good is fighting for equality only to be among those you despise?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Wildling wrote:
SerScot wrote:A defense of RH/BS, or an attack on those who refuse to see RH/BS as a victim too:

You know, I got through about half of that and my thought was "how come I never get invited to the White meetings where it's decided who gets the racist/sexist treatment this month?" There's a lot of talk of hegemony among the white power structure, and maybe at the top end there is, but there doesn't seem to be much room in this woman's world view for the idea of a white male who genuinely doesn't give a damn what colour your skin is, or which gender you like to suck face with.

As much as I can understand the feelings leading up to that world view, that's some of the stuff that has to change before true progress can be made. After all, what good is fighting for equality only to be among those you despise?
What's really bizarre is that RH's targets, according to the report posted above, are principally women... with a statistically significant emphasis on women of colour!

If you are campaigning against male whitie and you turn out to mostly harm vulnerable women of colour, something is wrong with your tactics.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

This is from Mark Lawrence the Author of Prince of Thorns:

mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2014/11/punching-up.html
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

SerScot wrote:This is from Mark Lawrence the Author of Prince of Thorns:

mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2014/11/punching-up.html
Which brings up a good point: now that the pendulum is swinging the other way, how should we treat RH? Eye-for-an-eye? Boycott?

It's good to have an understanding of what is going on, but it might do more good to engage in more "positive" protest. One doesn't need to join in a mob to drive RH out of SFF writing... and frankly, if she isn't using her energies in writing fiction what's to stop her returning to her previous activities?

Something better might be to check out the works of authors who had been affected, even if you never plan on checking out RH's writings.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Orlion wrote:
Wildling wrote:

What's really bizarre is that RH's targets, according to the report posted above, are principally women... with a statistically significant emphasis on women of colour!

If you are campaigning against male whitie and you turn out to mostly harm vulnerable women of colour, something is wrong with your tactics.
I know. That's the problem I'm having in trying to figure out what's really going on.

I think it may ultimately have more to do with anger management issues than with any specific targets.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've said it before. She's just a troll. Talented, maybe (I don't plan to find out), but you still deal with her like any other: remove her access when you can and ignore her when you can't. You can only kill a troll by starving it.

For instance, she said in Mark Williams' review, "Oh my. Look at the subhuman little turd utterly flipping out! Truly, my friends, I blog for this." Take away her raison d'etre, and she ceases to be.

Personally, I can find neither sympathy nor animosity for the person behind the masks. You get what you give.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wildling wrote:

Good points. I also found it ironic that this person claims People of Color are not 'monolith' or 'legion,' and then in the next breath talks about white people as a 'hegemony,' as if we're all tied into the power structure, and we're all the same. This is just a racist rant against white people. It's worthless, hateful trash.

Perhaps I'm just naive, but I can't imagine that an industry which makes money off the written word is as invested in skin color as these haters would like us to believe. Skin color and sex is the last thing on my mind when I purchase a book. Many of the books I read are by people I've never even seen, not even in a photograph.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”