Blindness

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Blindness

Post by deer of the dawn »

A standard apocalyptic horror flick but with a well-known cast (and not all hawt teens, either). An epidemic of blindness affects humanity. The story is told from the perspective of a small group who is sent to a very poorly run quarantine, which descends into warring factions.

I did love how the film moved from exploring the worst to the best of human nature but was not in any sense feel-goody, either. Julianne Moore was pretty amazing as the lead, the only person who does not go blind and carries the burden very believably.

EDIT: I saw the movie on TV and can't vouch for the most graphic scenes that were surely edited out. It was still not a pretty film.
Last edited by deer of the dawn on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

I saw this when I came out and I was working at the theater. I had to eventually remind every ticketholder I tore that this film was "post-apocalypse",,,i had some VERY nasty people pissed off about various intense scenes in the film. The apocalypse isnt kittens and pastries...

I loved it. Thought all the characters were well done, and it realllly freaked me out.
From a single Acorn, a mighty Oak
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Recently, I bought a few novels used from someone who was cleaning out. I just picked them out quickly according to the reviews, and if they intrigued me, and kind of forgot about them. To my surprise, I looked at them today and discovered the book, Blindness, by Jose Saramago, a Nobel Prize winner. A NY Times Best Book of the Year, LA Times Best Book of the Year, rave reviews, translated from the Portuguese. From the blurb, it's the same story. I'll let you know how the book is. (Glad I saw the film first; read the book first and usually the movie doesn't measure up.)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Return to “Flicks”