Vampire: Dark Ages - Act III - Scene 1: The Road to Coeris

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Vampire: Dark Ages - Act III - Scene 1: The Road to Coeris

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Alina and Dara continue their conversation as they lead Zoja back to the small farmstead they had once called home. Nothing seems out of the ordinary when they crest the final hill, and the house and sheds are seen at last. The sky is clear, providing a spectacular view of the stars and of the shed. Alina's supernatural vision reveals things as if it were daylight, even.

Dara flies overhead, then returns to Alina's shoulder. Something feels... portentious. I know not how else to describe it. Alina also senses that something is noteworthy, though there is no feeling of danger, only of "great things" being afoot.

It is still early in the evening, and her father and the boy should still be up. She can see a glimmer of light through a closed shutter. Just barely, even from this distance, she can hear the sound of water sloshing against wooden bowls; the boy is cleaning the evening dishes.
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

A smile crosses the Jewess' face as she leads Zoja to her corral and stable. Assuring her horse is at home, she turns to her familiar. "It is good to be home. My sincere gratitude for your return to my side and companionship, Dara, although I understand it had little to do with my own actions, so far. Now I must face what is next on my own.

"Go soar in the forest; hunt for some food for yourself; make sure all around is as it should be. Perhaps scout out somewhere I can use as a "sleeping" place during the daylight hours. The light glimmering through the shutter yonder hints that the house may not provide enough sanctuary from the rays of the sun."

As she watches Dara fly off in to the night, the healer gathers her satchel out of her cart, makes her way to the kitchen entrance of the small house, pushes open the door, and exclaims, "Birkat HaGomel," as she shrugs off her traveling cloak and looks for her father in his customary spot.
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
Rishon, tishtadel l'azor,
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

Above all else, hasten to help.
And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

As always, her father is in his place, seated near the hearth with his feet upon a stool, blankets wrapped around and beneath him. Upon hearing her voice, he smiles and turns his blind eyes her way. "Ah, daughter. We had thought you might return to us once the ones on the hill were done with you."

The boy, Abidan, steps away from the washing and dries his hands on his apron. He reaches to help Alina unload her burdens before she sits. "Here, let me." As he touches her arm, he shivers. "Oh, you're freezing. Come, sit by the fire." He pulls a second stool next to her father, and pats it with his hand.

Once once she's settled, does he kneel down on the floor by her feet and rest his head in her lap, his customary position. "Tell me everything. Did you see a dragon? Were you rescued by a warrior princess, or a plain old prince?"
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Abidan wrote:"Tell me everything. Did you see a dragon? Were you rescued by a warrior princess, or a plain old prince?"
Closing her eyes briefly, the healer sends a silent thought to her familiar. No rest for the weary. The Truth must come out. I only pray your advice regarding such won't harm those I love...

Smiling gently, she softly strokes the lad's head, recalling Sabine's fondness for such as she does so. "A plain old prince, and more!" she exclaims. "The tale is long, and in places painful, but keep in mind I am now home among you and...whole, despite teachings which may cause you to think otherwise.

"Listen to what I have to say, saving your questions until the very end. I will try to answer anything you may ask in the telling, but I promise I will answer anything I did not think to tell you at the end of the tale. No real difference from when I have returned before, nu?"

At their smiles and nods, the Jewess launches in to the tale, telling of the inn keeper's son and all that occurred until her return. She hesitated to mention her Lady's state as well, but decided if she was telling all, then even that must be shared. By the changes to their breathing patterns, she knew as they raptly listened that her story caused concern, trepidation, anger, and in her father at least, pride in her adherence to her traditions as much as she was able to do. But, as she finished, she needed to hear from them how they now regarded her.

As the night stretched in to the early morning, she brought the tale to a close, gazing at the two before her with a question in her eyes. "I love you both and still consider this my home. But, you have shown you can manage without me here if need be. Am I still welcome among you? Or must I find a new home for myself, so I shall not taint you with what I have become?"
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Abidan, with the bravado of a boy just beginning his journey into manhood, puts on a brave face. "You saved me when others would have let me die. I owe you that debt still, no matter what has been done to you."

Her father, on the other hand, has seemed to sink further into his wrappings, and pulled his hands under the covers as well so that only his face were visible. His pure white eyes seem wider than normal, and a look of... some emotion is still on his face.

"Daughter. I..." He pauses, unsure of his desires. Finally, he shakes his head. "Leave us this day. I am tired, and I must rest before considering all that you have said. Come back tomorrow, and I will give you answer."

Abidan looks concerned, "But Zaideh?"

"No! I am too tired to discuss, and too tired to think. We will talk tomorrow, Abidan."
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Gathering her duffel, quiver, and bow, the healer rises to depart again. "I understand, Tati," she whispers gently. Leaning in, she kisses the old man lightly on his brow, then turns to her ward. "I will return tomorrow night, hopefully with some fresh meat. Do not fret; I will be safe enough."

As she steps through the doorway and pulls it shut behind her, she offers up a prayer of Thanksgiving that her loved ones are still safe and healthy, with no signs of suffering while she was gone. Allowing a brief pang of sorrow at leaving again, she mentally calls out, "Dara! I must take cover from the sun. I will head towards my usual hunting encampment, and see what may be found there for a haven.

"...at least for tonight."
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Be careful. The sun will be upon you soon.

Alina makes her way to the hunting encampment, hurrying slightly as she notices the sky beginning to brighten a bit to the east. She knew that though the sun might rise and the sky brighten, the Carpathians to the east would mean that no direct sunlight would strike this area for another half an hour, at least. She had plenty of time.

The encampment is really nothing more than a hollow in a rock embankment, with some thick bushes before it. The place allows easy hiding from game, while still letting Alina make her shot. To her knowledge, nobody else in the area know of this spot.

As she approached the spot, Dara flew in from the other direction carrying a mouse in her talons.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

[ooc]I'll admit I am still uncertain what checks work where and how, so if I may, I will ask for appropriate checks as needed to try and locate a place to claim as a haven, as well as looking at the mouse in Dara's talons, looking to see whether it is alive or dead and if there is a reason other than food for her familiar to show up with it[/ooc]

As she continues to search for a place to safely rest, the Jewess shares what happened at the farm with Dara. I understand Tati's reaction, Dara. I would struggle as well if I were to learn something of the sort happened to my son or grandson, or Abidan.

Do you have any suggestions of where I should seek a place to rest safely?
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[The mouse is just for food. Dara is a spirit being, but she inhabits a body. She needs to eat, though she can hunt in either this world or the spirit realm.]

The owl reaches down with her beak and quickly kills the weakly struggling mouse. While she swallows it whole, she says to Alina, It won't be pretty, but if you were to dig a shallow hole in the shelter of the thicket, wrap yourself tightly in your cloak and dress, and then pull the dirt over top of that... it should keep the sun from your flesh. I can push the last over your face, once your arms are covered.

[Fun fact. When you communicate telepathically, you can chew and talk at the same time.]
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

The Jewess checks the area her familiar recommends, then nods. Thank you, my sweet. For today, this should do and I thank you for your offer of help. Hopefully tomorrow night I can return home, and set up something a little more permanent.

She then does as Dara suggested, and as she feels her unlife slipping away for the day, feels the first flecks of dirt gently falling upon her face.
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The sun rises. The sun sets.

It is April 18th, day 2 of the Lunar cycle: second day of the New Moon. The sky is clear to the east, where the mountains occlude many stars lower in the sky. To the west, clouds of a large storm seem to be forming against the horizon. The sunset is blocked, but the sky above and around the storm is a brilliant orange that captures the attention for some time.

Alina returns to awareness, and can detect no part of her person missing or burned to ash. With a little effort she sits up, dumping about an inch of dirt off of her cloaked torso. She frees her legs from the Earth's protective grip, and stands. Other than a liberal coating of dirt, all seems in order, and she steps out from behind the thicket.

Dara is perched on a branch a few trees down. Erev tov. I... you should return to the house quickly. Someone has arrived, though I know not who.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Making her way to a nearby clear running stream, the healer cleans herself to a somewhat presentable state. Erev or, Dara. My thanks for watching over both me and the farmstead. Were you able to determine if Tati would welcome my presence at this time?

[ooc]Have I awoken hungry? Would I need to hunt something before heading home among ones I love?[/ooc]
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[You're nearly full of blood. Not hungry at all. No danger to people, unless you choose to be dangerous.]

No. A wagon arrived during the day, and they have been with him all the while.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Her nerves sharpening, the healer reaches back and reaches for an arrow to be cocked in her bow. Visitors with Tati all day? Have you been able to determine if they are friend or foe?

As she awaits her familiar's answer, Alína hurries back towards the farm, hoping to catch sight of those there, both family and visitor, before her presence is felt.

[ooc]Again, I am uncertain how much I can do at once, or in what order. If possible, I would like to do Soulsight on all present as soon as possible, and Steal Secrets upon the visitors, if they are not Undead where Willpower to do so is not needed.[/ooc]
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I didn't approach to closely. They do not seem to be attackers, but perhaps they are using subtle intimidation instead of outright violence.

When the farm comes into view, there is a large wagon in the yard. It looks to be of gypsy style, though there is only the one wagon. The horses are unhitched and set to feed in the nearby field with Zara. They are very large horses, heavy draft beasts more like warhorses than what one might expect of a poor gypsy wagon.

There are a couple of gypsy men nearby, not doing much of anything in particular. Perhaps having a conversation while they inspect the exterior of the wagon, especially the wheels and the axles.

Soulsight reveals the auras of the two men to be bright and active, and both appear to be human. There's no sign of fear, only boredom and the simple enjoyments of that boredom. Amusement flares as a joke is shared, then concentration spikes when they both kneel by the rear axle to inspect it from the light of a torch.

Steal Secrets shows much the same, that they're conversing about a recent evening of celebrations, and the relative beauty of several of the women there. The axle looks sound, but some of the spokes of the rear wheel seem to be loose in their joints. One of them is concerned this might lead to that wheel becoming damaged soon, as the spring thaws bring snowmelt to fill the streams and rivers.

Then, both men hear a noise from inside the wagon. Ah, the master is awake. says one, his thoughts carrying his words to Alina's mind across the silent distance.

The statue is with him? asks the other?

The way the horses were straining, it must have been. replies the first.

With that thought, both move away from the door at the rear of the wagon, a touch of fear brushing their auras.

Neither her ward nor her father are seen during this, so presumably they are inside the house still. Alina can see no sign that they're being held prisoner, for other than the two men there are no other humans visible. And those two don't seem very aggressive.

As she approaches closer, she can see signs that the boy has been about the farm doing his chores; if the wagon arrived early in the day, he must have felt safe continuing with the regular activities of a farm.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

The StoryTeller wrote:Then, both men hear a noise from inside the wagon. Ah, the master is awake. says one, his thoughts carrying his words to Alina's mind across the silent distance.

:snip:

With that thought, both move away from the door at the rear of the wagon, a touch of fear brushing their auras.
Fear of one just awakening at dusk? Alina asks Dara as she replaces her arrow. Shaking her head, she puts such thoughts aside. Silly old woman, she thinks to herself. Just because you are now of the Undead does not mean all who nap in the afternoon are. They are probably in need of some sort of healing, and have sought me out for that purpose. It is what I am known for after all, and I have kept them waiting all day. Let us see if we can be of service.

Putting a smile of welcome on her face, Alína makes her way closer to the farm. "Greetings, kind sirs," she calls out as she approaches. "I am Alína Nyárí, modest stake holder of this land. I have been out hunting this fine day, although my efforts have little to show for them.

"To what do I owe the honor of this visit? Is there a need I can help fulfill?"

[ooc]I am assuming the warhorses are out grazing with Zoja, Alína's horse? I'm not sure who Zara is, unless it is an amalgamation of Zoja and Dara?[/ooc]
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[They're the size of warhorses, but they're just very large draft horses. Sorry for the confusion, was just expounding on the size of the horses necessary to pull such a large and heavy wagon.]

[Yes, Zoja the pony.]

The two men hear Alina's voice and turn to her. One of them comes forward smiling, and bows with a flourish. "I am Luca, and this is Hanzi. We are here with Mircea who is inside the wagon. He will be out shortly, I think." Hanzi whispers something to Luca, which ends with the word Shilmulo. Luca's eyes widen slightly, and his aura gains a touch of fear. He hides it well, but does seem to be giving a bit more attention to Alina than he had a moment before.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

[ooc]Is Shilmulo a word among the languages I know?[/ooc]
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[It's not a word you recognize.]
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Aware of the men's reaction to her, Alína notes to try to remember to make an effort to appear more...alive when mingling with others. [ooc]is that something we all can do, or is there a discipline or merit I need to do so?[/ooc]

"Welcome to my home. If it will be a moment before I am to learn the reason for your visit, let me go inside to refresh myself and inform my father of my return."
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”