Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Acropolis Discussion

Post by [Syl] »

Since Pantheon is in limbo and Aesir doesn't take up enough of my time, I've been toying with the idea of another god-based game. Much like Pantheon or Aesir, but it would take place in a single city or city-state. There would be a DRP-like system, but based off of the city's population, your share of the city's worshipers, and maybe a couple smaller factors. The ostensible goal would to become the city's patron deity, though I suppose the game wouldn't end unless all other gods were cast out or the city burns down.

With the exception of random event generation and other similar variables, the rules would be as close to Pantheon's as I can manage. This isn't to say it's open-ended like Purgatory, but some things might come down to accepting the GM's decision. Also, since we're dealing with a much smaller setting, what you can do with your DRP will probably be more limited than what we're used to. Social engineering and minor characters will likely have much more importance as well. Many events and actions will have city-wide effects. Feuding or indifferent gods will likely find themselves working together on many occasions whether they like it or not.

The downside is that I do have a pretty big course load this semester, so I would probably limit turns to 1 per month. Accordingly, I think I would make 1 turn = 1 month game time (since the scale is brought down considerably from Pantheon or Aesir...). The upside is that I'm taking both Mythology and Roman Civilization, so I could add quite a bit to the setting and fool myself into thinking it's study-related. :mrgreen:

I would need at least five people to commit to playing and probably couldn't fit in more than ten. Any takers? Questions, suggestions? If it looks like there's enough interest, I'll put together a more detailed scenario, rules, and a map.
Last edited by [Syl] on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm outrageously interested! Not just because I badly want to play a Pantheonesque game, but because I like the idea of the one-city setting! I'd like to see how I'd do with the need to pay more attention to the day-to-day running of things, and the minor characters.

So, uh... You think you'll stay with it for a while?? :lol:

Is giving the GM crap before the game starts a bad idea?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Oh, shiny! I'm in.

Though, if you accepting brainstormy ideas... as you said "city" I was thinking of a more sci-fi setting, with just different factons. The gene engineers, the cyborg types, the psy powered, etc. Nothing deific, but sufficiently advanced science so it doesn't matter. (Also making me think of Neil Stephenson style "Victorian" cultures, and other retro social structures.)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:Oh, shiny! I'm in.

Though, if you accepting brainstormy ideas... as you said "city" I was thinking of a more sci-fi setting, with just different factons. The gene engineers, the cyborg types, the psy powered, etc. Nothing deific, but sufficiently advanced science so it doesn't matter. (Also making me think of Neil Stephenson style "Victorian" cultures, and other retro social structures.)
*covers grin*

I think that pretty much was the setting of Syl's first suggested game, which evolved into Loremaster's Empires game.

*I linked to the "history" thread for the game, as I couldn't find the original game thread*
Cobalt
Ramen

Post by Cobalt »

:edit:
Last edited by Cobalt on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.”
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Menolly wrote:I think that pretty much was the setting of Syl's first suggested game, which evolved into Loremaster's Empires game.
Now that I think about it, it's also the premise for Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri strategy game for the PC, from several years ago.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I may be in, ill need to see ho wmuch o fmy time VoB takes up
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

count me in. :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Count me in. I want to play Noryekithicles. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

At one turn a month, I'd also like to apply for God-dom.

(If things speed up, I might find myself streached, however.)
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

If anything, our games usually slow down, so you should be safe.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I am totally in!!
The King has one more move.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

OK, looks like a go. I'll have the rules, background, and map up by Sunday. Get your ideas for your god ready (looks like Fist has already taken the God of Sanitation Management slot ;)), and as soon as Av opens up a forum and I get everything started you can post your revelations.

Noryekithicles. LOL!

Just keep in mind these are going to be a fairly stoic and agrarian people for the most part (human only). In our terms, it'll be set around 800 BCE. For instance, the people of the city know that there's a thing called writing, but they themselves have no written alphabet. There will also be six outlying villages/farm communities, like spokes on a wheel. The city has a sea on the west side and a river bisecting it. The city itself will have several districts - wharf, trade, civic, upper and lower class residential, and so on.

The primary purpose of the revelation will be to explain your god (one domain only to start, but you can claim several over time), your high priest (prophet), and where your shrine is built.

Manifestation, as we know it, will be nearly impossible. A single DRP could, say, cure a follower of a disease.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Will you be listing any domains or should we just use the same ones from pantheon?
The King has one more move.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Most domains from Pantheon, and others you might be able to think of, should be acceptable. Just send me a PM if you're in doubt. In fact, as a kind of reward for anybody asking beforehand, I'll also let you know if I think the domain is also a good idea or not.
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hey, I think I could be up for this. I think a city would be fun. Sorta like Sanctuary. :D

So you want a forum huh?

--A
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Me too!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

What the hell, I've never played one of these but I'll give it a go. Once a month can't be that bad. I have no idea how to play so please be patient (and gentle) with this newbie!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wow...is that ten already? Glad I made it in. :D And Brinn! Awesome.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I look forward to reading about y'all's exploits.
Have fun, y'all!

Return to “Acropolis”