Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've heard from at least one player (and probably others, albeit in different forms) that they don't know what to do. My answer was:
A buddy of mine who used to play pool had a saying: if all else fails, sharpen your cue. If you don't have any ideas, you can always just increase your stats. So start with "Which stat do I want to increase?" From there, it's a small step to "How do I increase it?" Since you're not even limited by domain in this game, only that it has to have a naturally-occurring explanation (which doesn't mean it has to be naturally occurring)., the sky's the limit. In my opinion, it's actually something that makes Acropolis easier than other games.

And I think the more that you do this, while keeping in mind your central character, it brings to mind new ideas and new things to do. You develop a culture.

Of course, soon enough, most—if not all—of you will have things you will have to deal with, and it might be good at that time to have the extra DSP to handle it.
It's cool to do nifty godlike stuff. That's why we play these games after all. But speaking from experience with other games, the very specific has a way of being useless when the unexpected comes along (which it always does). Sure, you can usually retool something to make it work, but that's not as good as having the strength to create something specifically for a situation.

If I may use Cedar for an example. Every turn he's always doing new stuff to advance his tribe. It's always related to his totem, and it's really helping to advance his character and the culture of his tribe, but at the same time, it ups his stats every turn.

And I don't know if you guys are paying attention to the ways in which your stats are increasing every turn, but I usually try to connect what you did in your turn to something stat related. The clever or lucky may also find one action can increase two or more stats.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Menolly wrote:So all else is "accurate," other than the direction?

*thinking this would make what took place happen somewhere in the forest/jungle between Nakoma and Nyx's people. no wonder there was a large feline involved and Nakoma is squawking at my door*
Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. Yes, that's correct.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Turn sent.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Orlando wrote:Turn sent.
Still waiting to see if I'll hear from Nakoma, before I proceed with composing my submission...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wait, I thought the next thing to do was a trial? Have I missed something again?

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

My impression was the Autarch has decided to not do mandatory trials? Maybe I misunderstood...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, there didn't seem to be much love for the Trials, so...
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Er, wait... deadline is coming again soon? I'm confused.

Which, if you think about it is AWESOME... it means between Heart of Gold, Prophets, Acropolis, and Inferno... stuff is happening enough to actually keep my mind more than fully occupied.

And since Fist lost in Acro, I don't have my normal 75 texts a day to remind me that the deadline is due, as he tries to ask me for help on what to do every turn.
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

I just sent my turn early. I was so late last time I just wanted to make sure I got mine in.

A little overkill, I know. But, with all the games, work, moving, etc., I didn't want to forget.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

You're moving? Where to? Share share!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Also, deadline is still the 1st, right? Always and forever, the first.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:
Orlando wrote:But, with all the games, work, moving, etc., I didn't want to forget.
You're moving? Where to? Share share!
Yes, please do, if you can. I seem to recall you just moved this year. Did you find a more permanent home in the area?
Goatkiller666 wrote:Also, deadline is still the 1st, right? Always and forever, the first.
With the discontinuation of the Trials, that's my interpretation of the rules.
Goatkiller666 wrote:Which, if you think about it is AWESOME... it means between Heart of Gold, Prophets, Acropolis, and Inferno... stuff is happening enough to actually keep my mind more than fully occupied.
*grumble*

Does that mean lapses between updates to DA will be even longer?
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Moved back to Southern California in February through a job transfer. Have been living in an apartment and tonight, I sign my escrow papers on 3 acres of land. I'm very happy.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wonderful!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

SoCal like... the greater LA area, or like that prison in Death Valley?

Hrm. Now I'm having fantasies of Caam as an inmate in a maximum security women's prison... bow chicka bow wow.

3 acres sounds good, until I remember that every last inch of SoCal is horrible and brutish and nasty and all that stuff.

But, perhaps I'm biased. (And if you mean that 3 acres is actually the size of the exercise yard in the prison, and you own it now that you shanked the bitch who used to run the yard... I can appreciate that.)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ok cool...turn due on the first. Hmmm. Inferno too. Ok, I can manage. By the second at least, anyway. :lol:

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote:Ok cool...turn due on the first. Hmmm. Inferno too. Ok, I can manage. By the second at least, anyway. :lol:
Serenity awaits...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

SERENITY NOW!
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:SERENITY NOW!
:biggrin:

Need we be concerned with your blood pressure, Autarch?
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

He's fine until he has to process turn results. Then he's in trouble.

Worst possible outcome is if only a few results come in. Then we're all in trouble.

Return to “Acropolis”