Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's fine if you want to play your own character (that's the point), but you can't play your own game. Shen being a mountain spirit does not work in the context of the game. It doesn't fit with the origin myth, which is the foundation of the game. Just the same, you can't ignore the rules because they don't fit with what you envision your character being able to do.

Although I've tried hard to make a game that can entertain, challenge, and accommodate players, who says I want to know what you don't like about the game, especially when it's voiced like you have, out in the open forum and without much respect for my position as GM? What am I supposed to do with that? Capitulate and make it the game you want it to be, rather than the one that it is? I've already said that there won't be any more trials and the game will continue how you want. That doesn't seem to suffice for you. You seem to want me to tell you it's OK. Sorry, I have as much, if not more, invested in this story as you do, have my own opinions.

You want to be upset about my word choice, go ahead. I never said anyone called me an asshole, and you'll notice I did say "more or less," making the finger a figure of speech. But my attitude? All I did at first was express my frustration. I suppose I could've just ended the game; I was tempted. But me, I thought it'd be better to get it off my chest and try to make the game work. If you choose to argue with me about it, don't be surprised when it sounds like an argument. Even then, I still tried to address all your points, a favor you have not returned.

I wish you would've taken more care with how you expressed that, but I'm hardly blameless when it comes to that. As I've said from the start, though, if you're having problems with something, come to me with it. You of all people should know that I'll do my best to help out, coming just short of giving ideas directly to you. The fact that you didn't leaves me to believe you didn't want to be dissuaded from your course of (in)action. And if you really felt you couldn't participate, for whatever reason, you still should've told me about it.

And don't expect me to buy that hogwash about you not being creative.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

And as someone just pointed out to me in private message, perhaps I've erred in seeing how the origination myth can be interpreted, being unnecessarily unreceptive to your interpretation. Sorry for that. I'm human and make mistakes. I will say, though, that in order for me to effectively run the game, things have to mean what I think they mean.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Fist, I'm sorry to see you go. You certainly bring an excitement to every game you are in.

I'm happy to have read your last post, Syl. It gives me more understanding of where the game is going.

I just wish there was more game chatter in all the games, if truth be told.
There's no exchange of ideas and I think that deters creativity in game play. For me, it does at least.

I'm finding the same problem in all the games I've played. The in game chatter has slowed to nothing. I therefore have played most games in solitutde, wrapped up in my own little world. Heck, even Fist doesn't collaborate with me anymore. I think this is why I wanted more game chat in Prophets. I think it develops the game more. Kind of like your trials.

I have to say, its refreshing to be a GM. I finally know what's going on, heh.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

LOL!!!!!!!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Orlando wrote:I just wish there was more game chatter in all the games, if truth be told.
There's no exchange of ideas and I think that deters creativity in game play. For me, it does at least.

I'm finding the same problem in all the games I've played. The in game chatter has slowed to nothing. I therefore have played most games in solitutde, wrapped up in my own little world. Heck, even Fist doesn't collaborate with me anymore. I think this is why I wanted more game chat in Prophets. I think it develops the game more. Kind of like your trials.

I have to say, its refreshing to be a GM. I finally know what's going on, heh.
I'm terrible at in-game, in-character chatter, but I do love seeing a busy forum as well. And I love collaborating via PM, where I can discuss ideas without necessarily having to stay in-character to do so.

And yeah, the secrecy of the games has always driven me nuts. I know nothing of Gener in Prophets, nor much of Velt in Aesir, other than what Leaf learned from Mimir in Vanir, for instance.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

:lol:
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"Linden Avery, we are Giants, loath to fail the aid of any and all whom we name friends. Yet we are also sailors. We do not choose the world's winds. We do what we may to seek our own desires, but we do not pretend to rule that which is offered to our sails. Come calm or gale, we gain our sought harborage—when we gain it—by enduring rather than by mastery"
"Ur-Lord, we are the Humbled. By skill and long combat, we have won the honor of embodying the refusal of our people to countenance humiliation. That we live and die does not humble us. It demands neither humility nor humiliation because we make no compromise with failure. We do what we can, and we accept the outcome. If our strength and skill do not suffice, we are content to bear the cost in pain and death. Indeed, the cost of our efforts provides the substance of our lives, and by our contentment we confirm our worth.

"When you demand that we endure Linden Avery's healing [or Syl's Trial], you deny our acceptance. You proclaim us unworthy of our lives."
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, out of curiosity, does Fist's dropping from the game mean that Shen is no longer a character in this world? He and I had been working on some ideas of stuff to do together, and I'd still like to pursue some of them even if solo. (i.e. - I spend my own power, instead of us both spending power, but the story of the action would include some Shen tie-ins. Most of these were aimed at Historical Time, obviously.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, Shen Mountain still exists, so... I suppose for all intents and purposes, a dropped player will have to be an NPC.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Autarch, sir.

I am starting to frame my turn. Will a description of the afterlife based on the trial entries be forthcoming, and do you expect those who may have a part in it address it in the upcoming turn?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The description of the afterlife based on the Trial entries should be the Trial entries, just as I would not redefine a player's holy place. My role in it is to merely guide the players collectively through the construction of a framework so that an individual story can be told within it.

If you want to use what you have created, who am I to object?
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Ah, OK.
Again, I was basing my question on what was stated in the Trial description.
Whatever role a player picks up will appear next to their name in the Forum of the Gods.
Since no roles/titles have been assigned, I was uncertain where we all stood.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

That was for the first version. Since everybody got the same thing, or at least the same opportunity...
-George Steiner
cedar
Stonedownor

Post by cedar »

ahh...sounds about right.

but I'm stoked to use the Trial, I think it came out great. :)
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Confirm please: next Acro turn deadline is August 1st? (With the normal fuzzy grace period until the weekend, when you really start processing.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep, deadline is the 1st. I'd like to start processing on the 4th.
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Right on.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:Yep, deadline is the 1st. I'd like to start processing on the 4th.
Is this no longer the case then, as long as turn is in by early on the 4th?
[Syl Embattled] wrote:The turn submission is the 1st. Late submissions will not be accepted without prior approval.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Since no one has asked for an exception, yes that's still the case.
-George Steiner

Return to “Acropolis”