A Prosaic Confession

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Update: just bought two "new" hardcovers for about $9 apiece. One is on its way to my house, the other is on the way to Kentucky and my Donaldson-subsidized friend, who has relocated since FR. I'm leaning towards rereading the entire series before reading this book, by which time The Last Dark should be out. Fingers crossed.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

That doesn't sound like a bad idea... :)
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Lambolt
Stonedownor

Post by Lambolt »

Fist and Faith wrote:I'm pretty well known for having a similar opinion of TLC. I reat ROTE and FR, and won't be going on. I read what happened in AATE in the threads here, and am very happy with my decision.
then you missed out. The first book in the 3rd set was, frankly a mess, the second not much better. I almost gave up on it

the third book however had me gripped like the first 2 chronicles all over again and now I can't wait to see the finale.

Really, the 1st two books in the last chrons stand out like a sore thumb to me as being pretty far below the standard of the others.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Lambolt wrote:then you missed out. The first book in the 3rd set was, frankly a mess, the second not much better. I almost gave up on it

the third book however had me gripped like the first 2 chronicles all over again and now I can't wait to see the finale.

Really, the 1st two books in the last chrons stand out like a sore thumb to me as being pretty far below the standard of the others.
Hi Lambolt! Wow, you are one of the originals!

I have to disagree with you in relation to AATE. I got bogged down in the middle of FR but eventually struggled through to the end. The same with AATE. Admittedly it improved a bit towards the end but I couldn't honestly say that there was enough there to recommend to someone like F&F that he should read it. IMO, it was basically more of the same and even the presence of TC couldn't ameliorate it :(

I'll still read The Last Dark though and hope that SRD can work the oracle :biggrin:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Lambolt
Stonedownor

Post by Lambolt »

I've not been very active here :) But I sense it's coming up to the time for the last book so I popped in. Hmm, I really couldn't put AATE down, maybe it was more TC involvement, or maybe it just felt like they were more doing stuff and not just dithering about what to do or not to do, i also thought the editing was a bit tighter, the first book was really bad for that, way too long for what it was and overuse of several of his trademark "odd words" but used too often too close to each other so it just started reading a bit weird.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Lambolt wrote:I've not been very active here :) But I sense it's coming up to the time for the last book so I popped in. Hmm, I really couldn't put AATE down, maybe it was more TC involvement, or maybe it just felt like they were more doing stuff and not just dithering about what to do or not to do, i also thought the editing was a bit tighter, the first book was really bad for that, way too long for what it was and overuse of several of his trademark "odd words" but used too often too close to each other so it just started reading a bit weird.
I have a feeling that more than a few old faces will crawl out of the woodwork with the approach of The Last Dark. It'll be the end of an era in its own way!

I agree about the editing and I would say that it applies to the whole of the Last Chrons, but FR took the biscuit for me. There were a couple of occasions where I felt that I was reading a summary of the chapters I'd just read. I know I have a short attention span, but Linden has just travelled back in time, met Berek and Damelon, split Rivenrock, met Caerroil Wildwood, travelled forward in time and I need to be reminded of what's happened :-x Another time every single Giant was named and commented on for no other reason that I could see other than to remind me that they were there. They're Giants! They're big and rowdy and boisterous! I'm never going to forget that they are there! :-x :-x

I found the books such hard going that one of my few solaces was SRD's use of obscure words. I'd use them as an opportunity to take a break from the slog to consult the dictionary for SRD's latest Greek or Latinism. My favourite so far is 'fuligin', which is a colour that is darker than black.

Now that I think of it I wonder has the Obscure Words thread has been updated for the Last Chrons or do people just rely on the Stephen Donaldson Ate My Dictionary website, which is fairly comprehensive.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”