Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 5: The Slums

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 5: The Slums

Post by Goatkiller666 »

It is the evening of April 15th, 1205. Day 27 of the lunar cycle, and so there is a crescent moon (waning) in the sky tonight. Except that the sky is overcast; the moon and stars cannot be seen. Without some source of light, it will be very difficult to see while outside (mystical powers not withstanding). Other than the overcast, the weather isn't expected to get worse for another day or so.

Lament wakes in her accustomed place, without sign of having been molested during the day.
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Lament wanders the slums for the majority of the evening, remaining in areas she is familiar with, listening closely to what is being discussed among the poor and wretched. She walks past the church, pausing briefly but not stopping before heading towards her haven.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The rumors among the poor and wretched are both confusing and troubling. Everybody knows about the attack several days ago on the city gates, and how that was clearly some kind of demon spawn monsters. But more recently, there have been deaths within the city. Bodies were found, freshly killed, during the height of daylight. A child was found half-gnawed away, though her mother swears she only turned away for a moment. An entire flock of sheep is simply missing, only blood left sprinkled across their normal field. The shepherd boy who was to be watching them was... here the tellers disagree. Some say the boy was missing also. Some say he was there and eating the entrails of the sheep. Some then ask how there could be entrails, if there was no sign of the sheep except for the blood. Well, perhaps there was blood AND entrails? Various other tales, some nearly impossible to believe, are told through the people.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Before heading to her haven for the night, she makes a relatively quick trip to visit the temporary hospital she was at a few nights earlier to check in on her patients, especially Milosh.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Milosh is doing well, and his comrads are in good spirits. Their lord has brought them some rum in celebration.

However, Brother Jurgen looks dour. He watches Lament look over the injured but says nothing. And yet, he seems like he wishes to speak. He takes a step towards her, then stops himself. He turns to leave, then turns back again.

Finally, he raises his hand to catch her attention, and nods towards the entryway to the church itself.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Lament watches Brother Jurgen from the corner of her eye, aware of his mood and hesitancy, but makes no move towards him until he motions her over. She nods slightly when he finally makes up his mind and follow him, adjusting the hood over her head as she walks.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

When they are alone, he whispers to her. "Two more guardsmen were found, only these were dead. They had been... gutted? Through their armor, like a sword through flesh, and four such wounds, next to each other."

He is wringing his hands, now. "It is as the rumors tell, of some kind of great beast. But even a bear couldn't slice a breastplate through. And they found the bodies in the middle of town. Blood was spilled on the spot, they say. That was where they fell."

"They saw burns on the walls of buildings, and they say there was... some kind of screaming. T'weren't human, but t'weren't no wolf, neither. More a yowling warbling kind of thing. None could place it."

"And atop one of the bodies was an empty mug of mead. A few drops remained, so we could smell what had been there. But... we don't know what to make of this, and I dearly wish it is not necessary to consult that priest. Any wisdom we get from him is as like to only tell us that we cannot stop the doom to come."
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Lament looks at him sharply and shakes her head. "We are not doomed my friend. Not yet at least."

Her eyes lose their focus and she mumbles softly under her breath, her eyes seeming to follow something across the floor, "Think not to match yourself against the gods, for men that walk the earth cannot hold their own with the immortals."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Without even thinking, he replies in latin "You shall have no other gods before me.... You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."

He shakes his head. "Sorry. The old abbot was a strict teacher. And, I find that there is comfort in falling back on the rote of the scripture."

"But, what do you think? No, you're a doctor. Saving us from the monsters of the night is my job." He once again seems glum at the thought.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

"Jealous, yes...he is isn't he. Vengeful..." She trails off and gently squeezes Brother Jurgen's shoulder. "Not all things of the night are our enemies, and not all need be defeated. Much is going on that people like ourselves are not privy too, so we wait...I think."

Lament scrunches up her nose and looks up at Brother Jurgen. "Why did you become a monk my friend?"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Jurgen straightens his wool cassock, with the frayed sleaves. "For the fine clothing and excellent cuisine."

"The real story is that I'd heard about monks who brewed beer. But it turns out I have no head for drink." Then he laughs, deep from his belly. "The beer monks are also experts at waiting. Maybe I should learn from them after all."

A short while later, there is a ruckus by the entrance to the tent / church. A very attractive man enters, in noble's clothes. Lament recognizes Ulricht von Tuscany, of the Toreador clan at the head of... probably some mortal minions. They look unimportant.

Ulricht walks up to Brother Jurgen and begins talking. He seems to ignore Lament, as he says, "Ah, good friar. Which are the foreigners? I had heard that there was a troop in here from... somewhere. I can't recall where."
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

"Never ending patience gets boring after awhile don't you think?" Lament looks up at Jurgen and quirks her lips up in a quick smile.

As Ulricht enters she seems to shrink in on herself and mumbles softly, her eyes looking along the floor randomly.

Upon hearing the question she clearly states,
"Your beauty turns to ugliness,
Your blood falls like water!
Have mercy on my son,
No mercy for me,
Or with the torment of death,"
Once she is done her shoulders slump and she whispers softly to herself.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Ulrecht notices Lament, and... well... it's not quite a sneer, but akin to the face a nobleman might have upon finding a maggot in his fine soup. "Oh. It's the healer. Yes, of course. You would be here, I suppose."

"Have you extended your protection to these foreigners, then?"
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Lament frowns up at Ulrecht. "Healing was provided since it was required, protection was not spoken of until you arrived. They are mostly alive and obviously can protect themselves relatively well. Are you intent on harm?"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Ulrecht smiles slyly. "Harm? I? Of course not. These are guests of the city, tragically hurt in a horrible mistake. I only wish to look to their care, though I see now that you have more than amply done so before me."

"But, since I am here, I would converse with these men. Just to apologize, of course. Very tragic, what happened to them."
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Lament crinkles her nose and replies dryly, "Indeed."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Though, I must wonder what caused the guards to believe these men were monsters. In fact... how thoroughly have you investigated these men, to be sure they aren't?"

"I notice that this hospital tent is set up outside the walls of the church proper. Have the men crossed into that holy ground? Have they been blessed and tasted the blood of Christ?"

He turns to Jurgen, "Good Brother, please place my mind at ease on these items. Have you allowed hellspawn to hide just outside your church?"

Jurgen pales. "No, my Lord. Those of the Vicompt's men who can walk have entered the church daily for prayers and confession. They have taken wafers along with my own parishaners, and taken the blood of Christ with them. Only the most seriously injured were left in their beds, to recover."

Ulretch thinks. "Most seriously injured. And these good lords and armsmen were untouched. Might the seriousness of their injuries be an indication of their pacts with Deceiver? Silver arrows were fired. On a God fearing man, there are some injuries, and those men still limp into Church and thank their God for being spared. The foul blasphemer, on the other hand, is nearly struck low but continues his lies so that he is seen as only an innocent bystander. We bring him into the city, and heal his wounds, so that he can wander at will behind our defenses."

"Have you heard, Brother Jurgen, the great yowling screams? On two different nights, something inhuman was inside the walls, and doing strange things. Many guards are dead. Many more are elfshot, or cursed. Burnings are seen on some of the walls, of a huge flaming beast that none can perceive."

"Take me to the most grievously wounded, good Friar. Him, I wish to speak to."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Brother Jurgen leads Ulretch to Lament's patient, who is sleeping deeply at this time of night. Ulretch leans over and puts a hand on the man's shoulder. He whispers into his ear for several moments.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Lament follows closely, watching Ulretch with narrowed eyes and says firmly, attempting to stop him from speaking to the man, "He should not be disturbed. Gravity of wound is indicatory more of ill luck then devilry. Or perhaps a test given by God. I'm sure the good Brother can arrange to have the seriously injured carried to the church in the morning to satisfy your...curiosity."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Ulrecht frowns, as he stands straight again, drawing away from the man's ear. "A test from God. Yes, indeed. I had not considered that." He turns back to Lament. "But a test of whom? Is this man being tested by his wounds, or are we being tested by whatever devilry he has brought to our city?"

Ulrecht waves over his retainers, as well as some of the compatriots of the very injured. "You men. Be gentle now, but we must carry these last few into the church. They must receive communion, and place themselves in God's hands literally."

The foreign soldiers seem confused, but Ulrecht's men move to Lament's patient. One takes the man's ankles, while the other reaches for the man's shoulders.

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”