Rules and Discussion

Moderators: AllMother, caamora

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:
AllMother wrote:Nothing to be confused about.

Caam, meet Menolly. Menolly, Caam. ;)
[Syl] wrote:(I kid, I kid. You'll find Menolly (and Fist!) to be invaluable at working out details you may have not solidified yourself or explained as much as you thought you did)
...but yeah.

I'm still confused. What is the difference between the public posts so far, and what we submit for turns until we start earning points? The Autarch's example turn in the Acropolis rules was very helpful for me, as I don't think I ever submitted in first person deity POV before. Something of the sort here will also help, unless you want me to keep refining until I get it somewhat right.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Please excuse the double post, but was wondering if the issue of seasons has been addressed as in what season we are starting in? I understand about the 28-day 12-month year, but do the seasons generally follow real time, since we are submitting monthly? So Twinsriver would currently be in mid-Spring?

...that is, if we are following northern hemisphere seasons?
(sorry for the assumption, Av.)

My orange dot tree has been spotty lately. If this has been addressed, a link to the post will suffice.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

AllMother wrote:
Nothing to be confused about.
Caam, meet Menolly. Menolly, Caam.
LOL!!
I'm still confused. What is the difference between the public posts so far, and what we submit for turns until we start earning points? The Autarch's example turn in the Acropolis rules was very helpful for me, as I don't think I ever submitted in first person deity POV before. Something of the sort here will also help, unless you want me to keep refining until I get it somewhat right.
Some people have chosen to submit stories right now. You do not have to do that. What I *do* want is player interaction. That's what the game thread is for.

As far as the stories go, I don't want to have a whole bunch of different threads here so I'm totally happy with people posting stories in the game thread. In fact, I rather like that people decided to post stories about their characters in the registration thread rather than just state their vital statics.

You are more than welcome to send me what you have and I can give you my thoughts on it and we can fine tune it. Just remember, you are a human. You have no power. Think about what you would do to attract the notice of your deity. Write a short story about it. The more creative you are, the more creative I can be with your results.

Don't worry about not having any power to begin with. It just means you have to think outside the box when making your moves. What do you do in your everyday life? You pray, you follow the Golden Rule, etc. Do the same thing here, to begin with. It's a little more difficult for you since you aren't going to choose a deity (or an ancestor). So, write a short story about what you like and I will ask questions and we can find a path for you. Mmmmkay?

I think back on when I was playing Aesir and I would get my results from Fist. I LOVED the results he sent me! They were a story in and of themselves.
Please excuse the double post, but was wondering if the issue of seasons has been addressed as in what season we are starting in? I understand about the 28-day 12-month year, but do the seasons generally follow real time, since we are submitting monthly? So Twinsriver would currently be in mid-Spring?

My orange dot tree has been spotty lately. If this has been addressed, a link to the post will suffice.
No, I did not address the seasons but let's go ahead and assume that it is April in Twinsriver and the seasons follow the Northern Hemisphere and the seasons will follow real time.
:wink:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

AllMother wrote:Write a short story about it. The more creative you are, the more creative I can be with your results.
Thank you, AllMother. This is more or less what I wanted to know. I don't write well, but being able to submit in story format, with a summary, will be easier than first person "moves," for me.
AllMother wrote:I think back on when I was playing Aesir and I would get my results from Fist. I LOVED the results he sent me! They were a story in and of themselves.
*nod* *nod* *nod*

He did great with Vanir as well.
AllMother wrote:
Menolly wrote:Please excuse the double post, but was wondering if the issue of seasons has been addressed as in what season we are starting in? I understand about the 28-day 12-month year, but do the seasons generally follow real time, since we are submitting monthly? So Twinsriver would currently be in mid-Spring?

No, I did not address the seasons but let's go ahead and assume that it is April in Twinsriver and the seasons follow the Northern Hemisphere and the seasons will follow real time.
:wink:
Also perfect.

Thanks!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Oh yeah. Guess I gotta get Krinn to sober up and quit rockin' the groupies long enough to figure out a turn submission.

Poor groupies.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Turn deadline is Friday.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Still waiting for one player to submit his turn.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm just hoping what I submitted is usable. I'm more than happy to revise, if needed, as I truly have no idea what I'm doing yet.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

I still haven't heard from one player. But, since it's in the beginning of the game and there isn't a whole lot of interaction between players yet, I think it's safe to say that the last player can submit his turn to me when he's ready, if he still wants to play.

I'll be sending out results soon.

You have all left things pretty open for me so I hope you like what I've done.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Results have been sent. There are no changes to the map.

Next deadline is May 5th. Cinco de Mayo!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hey Syl, I put in my first complaint already. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

To be clear, can we only spend whole points? Also, can Popularity Points be used just like Divine Power?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

To be clear, can we only spend whole points? Also, can Popularity Points be used just like Divine Power?
No, you can spend partial points. I won't do partial points too often but if I think the situation merits it, I will. But, feel free to use whatever you have. It will increase your success.

I was thinking about the popularity points just this morning while texting with Fist. I didn't spell it out clearly in the rules and I had to think about this.

The answer is no - not at first. Popularity points cannot be used like Divine Power while you are not a prophet.

Popularity points are for influencing people, attracting gods and doing things that you could normally do as a human. Think of Popularity Points as the equivalent to Charisma in D&D. For example, you will have more success with say, building a shrine/temple faster/better using popularity points. Or, using your PPs to attract a deity will gain greater success and you will get a deity's attention quicker.

HOWEVER, once you have a god's interest and officially become his/her prophet, that makes you more than just an ordinary human and you can use your points however you see fit. I will then revert to using total points and won't quibble between Popularity points and divine power points.

I just needed to be able to give you something in the beginning since you needed some reward/help in gaining the god's attention. Think of the popularity points as your jumping board. They are still important and if you lose popularity, you will lose your god's interest.

I hope all this makes sense.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

So for now, would we submit something along the lines of "1 PP towards influencing townsfolk to support [whatever]?" Or do we continue to submit general moves, and you'll determine what is influenced by what points we have?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

So PP are permanent -- like a stat, not something that you use up?

Other than that, it makes sense to me.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

So for now, would we submit something along the lines of "1 PP towards influencing townsfolk to support [whatever]?"
That is correct. I will not dictate how you use your points.
So PP are permanent -- like a stat, not something that you use up?
That isn't what I had in mind but I like the idea so much that I'd say YES! It is like a stat or level that you cannot lose unless you are attacked or hurt or otherwise damanged or something else happens that causes you to go down in popularity. Kind of vague, I know, but think of Pantheon and how we would lose levels in that game. Same thing here.

So, maybe I should change the term from popularity points to popularity level.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Just a reminder - turns on due Saturday, May 5th.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm losing my mind. I've entirely lost track of deadlines. Did I send you my turn already? Or was that last turn I sent? Or did I dream the whole thing? I was out of work sick for a couple days. I didn't think I was TOO sick, but maybe it was worse than I thought, because I don't know what's going on. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

You sent me a turn but then said the other day that you were going to revise it.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I haven't even started to think about Laurel's turn, but I love where her results went so I'm really looking forward to delving in to developing the story further. :)

Return to “Prophets”