Rules and Discussion

Moderators: AllMother, caamora

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

But we know myths, right? Which only makes sense, since we wouldn't believe that these gods exist if we didn't know stories about them. And I'm thinking something in the myths might provide a clue about how, or where, or when to try to attract the god.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Whats the technological level?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I see what you are saying now. Yes, Fist. You are correct. I don't want you to think that you have no control over your deity. He/she needs you after all, to gain on power. So, yes, you are developing that NPC to a certain extent. I hope I'm making this clear.

Balon, the technology level is primitive. A step above hunter/gatherers. I would like to see the technology develop through the use of the natural resources.
The King has one more move.
Cobalt
Ramen

Post by Cobalt »

Exciting twist playing a Prophet! I'm stoked. :D :D

How about a Game thread now that we've got at least two registered players? Yeah, I'm talking to you Azver...
Divine Power Points

These are the points given to you by your deity. Much like Acropolis, your PPs will be added to your TPS to equal your total points. PP + DP = total points (TP). You may not always get TPS but once given, they are yours.
Should this read: your PPs will be added to your DPS to equal your total points?

Can you create an Ancestor as well as become a Prophet of a Deity/Spirit?
Last edited by Cobalt on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.”
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think what Fist is asking, Caam, is: are these gods already known to the people of Twinrivers before us prophets come onto the scene? Do they already have a history/story that will be revealed by you, or will the players be filling in the details?

One thing I'm curious to know is how omniscient these gods are. Do they know things the player doesn't? Can they see into the hearts and minds of men, including the prophet?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Cobalt, your popularity points will be added to your diving power points to total your total points.
I think what Fist is asking, Caam, is: are these gods already known to the people of Twinrivers before us prophets come onto the scene? Do they already have a history/story that will be revealed by you, or will the players be filling in the details?
I think the people of Twinsriver have an idea of the gods but don't really know much about them. I'm trying to save that development for the game.
One thing I'm curious to know is how omniscient these gods are. Do they know things the player doesn't? Can they see into the hearts and minds of men, including the prophet?
The gods of this game are like the gods of any of the other games - they know what they know. It is up to the players to discover what they know.
They are just, at the start of the game, less developed, less powerful. I was thinking of having a contest for the players to write up some myths about the gods for a prize of some sort.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[Syl] wrote:
Goatkiller666 wrote: Also, I recognized [Syl]'s writings in there. In some cases, the same bits of [Syl]'s writings that I kept intact when I plagiarized his rules for Inferno. All Hail [Syl] as the new Xar.
Which I largely plagiarized from Xar, so the circle of GM'ing continues. I'm looking forward to the day that Xar gets his ass back here (optimist that I am) and incorporates some of Acropolis into Pantheon 4 so I can have a claim to legitimacy :mrgreen:
Maybe that's why Xar is away right now... he's letting us borrow his rules for our own game, so we can play-test the modifications, and then he'll return and keep what works.

It's like GT is really just its own meta-Pantheon game. [Syl], AllMother, Odin, and I are all PC AllFathers in a multiverse that the AllFather created.

Does that make Avatar the World Breaker? He's already wiped out Aesir and Vanir.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

LOL!!!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

AllMother wrote:Turn 1 submissions are due April 15th. Turn submissions will be due on the 15th of every month and results will be sent by the 1st of every month.
You might want to consider switching your deadlines. [Syl] and I are on more or less the same cycle (at least for now, until something comes up in one of our real lives that borks stuff up), and it means that we won't have to worry about trying to process our own games while juggling a turn for each others' games. Add yours in there, especially once things get going, you may want the surity of knowing that you can always work on your turns for our games during a time when you're not also working on processing your own.

I honestly don't know if Real Life will allow us all to stay in sync like that, but it'll be worth it to try for as long as we can.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Ok, I can change it easily enough.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Caam - sorry, I am struggling getting turns in for Inferno and Acropolis, I don't think I can manage a third game at the moment. :(

Sounds intriguing though.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

That's fine. Jump in any time you want.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

If the AllMother is agreeable, I think I would like to approach this totally from a mortal's POV. In other words, I would like to register a character/prophet, but leave it to the AllMother's discretion completely as to what deity would choose that character based on how I play, without me stating a preference.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Interesting idea, Men! I like it...
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Interesting idea, Men! I like it...
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

If the AllMother is agreeable, I think I would like to approach this totally from a mortal's POV. In other words, I would like to register a character/prophet, but leave it to the AllMother's discretion completely as to what deity would choose that character based on how I play, without me stating a preference.
That would be absolutely fine. I like that idea.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Menolly, don't preclude the idea that your mortal might herself have a preference as to which God / spirit / ancestor to worship. Maybe not right away, but over time you may have your character make a decision.

That could be a role-playing moment worthy of a Watchy award.

There's also the fun moment when two gods both decide to go for you, and you choose one. If we thought mortals were vendictive, wait until you spurn a Tier 1 god for a Tier 2 god, and see what kind of horrors fall on our poor village.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Making decisions
Rather than going with flow
Not her strongest suit
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:Menolly, don't preclude the idea that your mortal might herself have a preference as to which God / spirit / ancestor to worship. Maybe not right away, but over time you may have your character make a decision.

That could be a role-playing moment worthy of a Watchy award.

There's also the fun moment when two gods both decide to go for you, and you choose one. If we thought mortals were vendictive, wait until you spurn a Tier 1 god for a Tier 2 god, and see what kind of horrors fall on our poor village.
All I know is I left the decision of which clan my character became a member of in DA up to you, and have been happy with the choice. I am hoping something similar happens here.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Yeah, but you can be fired by your God, here. So it's not just a "let's see what I get" moment (which, you're right, there's lots of win for leaving that up to someone else)... then you get to make sure you still want that god later.

Oh! the humanity... I just imagine there's a lot more fun role-playing involved in being picked by a god that's maybe not a great match, and dealing with the friction that comes as a result.

I don't imagine that Krinn is going to get along famously with his famous ancestor spirit.

Return to “Prophets”