Prophet Forum

Moderators: AllMother, caamora

Brand
Servant of the Land

Post by Brand »

Laurel wrote:Smiling happily at this answer, Laurel replies, "the sooner, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I guess the first thing to determine would be what sort of raw stock is available around here? For the wooden instruments, some spruce and maple would be ideal. For the horns we would want to have brass or another alloy containing copper or silver. Is such available around here? The horn makers at the Harper Hall teach that using anything else can tend to make the players ill."
"I have plenty of materials for your purpose, except for wood, if you want to create some instruments that contains wooden parts we have to get some of good quality.
I have to work hard to one of my creations, but i think i can spare some time for you ... let's the work begin ;)"
Last edited by Brand on Tue May 29, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brand
Servant of the Land

Post by Brand »

Krinn wrote:...
"So, for the good of the town, in the hopes of bringing much commerce to our town, and with an eye towards spreading word of your own skills far and wide across the face of the world, can I convince you to donate some of your best works to me, so that I may gift them to distant lands?"
Brand seems to think about this request. Taking a long breath he responded
"You came in my shop, praising my work and my skills. Your arguments are unquestionably true, and i appreciate how you think and your purpose for the good of our town. I will be more than honored to be a part of the growth of Twinsriver. Furthermore many people will hear about the gifts the god of Metallurgy is able to give to those who follow him and his commands. Let me see what items i have worth of such a honor"

Saying that he disappear in the rear of the shop.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Brand wrote:"I have plenty of materials for your purpose, except for wood, if you want to create some instruments that contains wooden parts we have to get some of good quality.
I have to work hard to one of my creations, but i think i can spare some time for you ... let's the work begin ;)"
Reaching in to her carrysack, the Harper withdraws her personal instruments; those gifted to her by the Master of each as she attained mastery of them herself at the Hall. She shows them to the Smith as examples of what she hopes to one day attain herself.

"For wooden instruments which I can not carve nor hollow, what we need to do is produce steam and build frames to bend and shape the wood gradually. Forcing wood to bend too suddenly will lead to it snapping. Steam can cause wood to be shaped as gently as the curve you see here on the soundboard of my lute, or as radically as the opposing C-curves on the side of this violin. But this can wait until we have time to harvest some fine lumber to work with."

As she reaches for her prized instrument, she sees the Smith's eyes widen with delight. "This is the newest class of instruments being produced at the Hall. It is called a hazozerot, and is made of silver. But, as I mentioned, pure silver seems to lead to illness, so the newest horns are being made of alloys of copper and zinc; also known as brass. It has superior acoustical qualities, and as a soft metal, is easy to shape. The current goal at the Hall is to come up with a way to change the pitch of the instrument, other than via ambrosure, or lip position.

"I not only wish to be able to produce instruments to sell at market, and perhaps start tutoring in the ways to play them, but as a journeyman Harper, part of our striving for Mastership is to bring a new development or discovery back to the Hall. You have shown your mastery of the forge; I think together we can eventually advance what is known about this class of instruments.

"However, I do not want to over reach our start. Perhaps we should first try to duplicate the hazozerot?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Brand
Servant of the Land

Post by Brand »

After a while he came back

"those are the items i can give you"

He put a long sword made of a dark steel on the table. It had a very linear shape, but it also seemed very balanced and sharp. In the middle of the blade a darker groove was incised to drive away the enemy blood from the sharp still. On the hilt there were Two faces, one with the eyes open, the other on the other side had the eyes closed.

The other item is a Battle axe. The twin blades were made by a shining gold, or an alloy very similar to gold. The two faces was sculpted on each blade, again one with open and one with closed eyes.

The last one is a Mace, made by the finest silver. The head of the weapon is made by the two faces looking to the opposite side, united by their napes.

Opening a hide wrapper he took out a gold necklace, with a wonderful ruby (Pic 1), The ruby is the perfect symbol for the blood and the heat of the furnace.

The other item was a wonderful pair of earrings, with magnificent emeralds set in white gold (pic 2)

The last one was a marvelous dark silver armband, with sparkling sapphires set in the metal (pic 3)

"Take those items, Krynn. Give them to the people you think will be worth to bear or wear it. I trust you, and your words, don't make me regret it" He ended his sentence looking heavily and directly at Krynn's eyes.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

The temple has quite a few students, as well as fighters who just want to spar and sharpen their skills. I talk to those who are known to be particularly good at tracking and hunting. The threat of these wolves needs to be ended immediately. I ask them to also speak to others they know who are skilled in those ways who don't come to the dojo.

And I go to the Council of Elders.

"Azver. The Council of Elders will see you now."

"Thank you." I follow Mr. Thatcher into the Council Room.

"Azver! Good to see you, my boy. You've been busy since winning the Tournament."

"Yes sir, Mr. Miller. There's barely enough time in the day for Li's temple alone, much less the other things I need to do."

"What can we do for you?"

"I'm wondering if anyone has come forward with information about the wolves. I'm trying to get our best trackers and hunters together so we can take care of these beasts. They are as much an enemy as any human, and Vitarus can kill them just as easily. The Drovers are devestated, and I want to make sure they're the last family these wolves tear apart."

After learning what I can from the Council, I return to the temple. For some days, as I wait to see which hunters will be helping me destroy the wolves, I spar with several fighters. Krinn, Sean, Harold... And I organize classes and begin teaching. Things are going extremely well. I couldn't ask for more. I speak to Li's picture at least once each day, asking for his blessing on all I do to honor him. I meditate, clearing my mind so I will be receptive to anything Li might wish to tell me. And I begin training those who are interested in meditating at the altar.

A couple of the more experienced fighters agree to teach the new students while I'm away, in case it takes many days to hunt. A couple fighters want to help with the wolves.

Finally, we're ready, and we begin hunting.
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

"These are as beautiful as they are sublime."

"Which, you know is flattery, but I want you to feel confident that I will be equally as smarmy with the recipients of these gifts, to better encourage them to return here themselves to find more like these."

"I'm not sure how to ask this, so I'll just say it flat out and hope you'll forgive my ignorance of your trade. But, while my trip is meant to bring back nobles, merchants, and fighters from the places I visit... is there anything else out there you might be specifically interested in? Any special materials you might want, or gifted students you'd like recruited? Though... I admit, I would be a poor choice of who is a gifted smith, and an even worse candidate to represent what you would offer as a teacher. But, my offer stands."

Krinn pauses a moment. "Or, if you'd like to send someone you trust along, and if you could spare such a person, he would be more than welcome." And, rest assured, there will be more of these trips in future months, traveling farther afield. We can arrange something for those trips instead."
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Quietly withdrawing from the Council chamber, the Harper slowly shook her head, both in relief that her suggestions regarding crop rotation and composting the farmland was accepted and in frustration that the idea of a Sabbatical year for rotating fields was rejected. Baby steps, girl, she thought. The ideas introduced via the Healer craft were controversial enough to the Husbandry Hall. Perhaps as what will be implemented shows improvement in yield, they will consider more radical approaches.

Passing Azver on her way out, she felt a strange connection pass between them. Well, now. Just what is going on in the tiny hamlet of Twinsriver? Fascinating.

Once outside, she makes note of the time. Ah! That took longer than I thought; the children must be gathering in the glade by now. Time to open their vision to new possibilities
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Thanks for the party, everyone! If I'd known how much attention it would get me from our village's beautiful young ladies, I'd've hunted down some wolves years ago!"

While the crowd chuckles, I smile at Christine until she blushes and lowers her eyes.

"But, in all seriousness, the honor doesn't belong to me as much as you all might think. Let me tell you what happened out there. Things even those who were with me, and those of you who witnessed, aren't aware of. You only saw what was visible to the eye.

"After getting sidetracked by something I can't explain yet, we continued to track the wolves and finally found the pack. They smelled us coming and confronted us head on. Nine wolves in the pack.

"Without weapons, my four warriors and I fought the wolves. My warriors however, are not as experienced as I am. They were wounded and unable to fight. I faced the nine wolves, and I thought back to the story of Grandfather Li fighting the nine invaders alone.

"And... Grandfather Li came to me! The wolves attacked. But, I was sure and strong. And I felt him. He was with me. I took every attack, and the wolves were unable to overcome me. I was too quick, too strong.

"I was not alone. I could feel him, smell him. He was working through me. He taught me new moves, new blocks, new punches. I taught him new evasions, new kicks, new strategies. One by one, the wolves fall away. I heard their whimpering.

"At last, it was finished. I opened me eyes and found that the battle had moved into a clearing at the edge of town. I looked over and saw a group of you had witnessed the battle. I looked down and saw the nine wolves around me, dead or dying. I broke the necks of the dying wolves.

"I was calm. I was filled."

I pause, remembering the feeling.

"I often forget that people who have not dedicated themselves to the martial arts don't know the most important, and most basic, truth about it. The martial arts is not about fighting. It's about a state of being. The goal is to make the mind and body one. A state where we think without thinking; act without acting. This state of being can be achieved through any number of methods. Martial artists achieve it through our physical movements.

"Most serious martial artists achieve this state at times. When Grandfather Li joined with me during the fight with the wolves, I learned that he lived this state every moment of his life. He had mastered all skill and prowess that we desire, all restraint and calm, and had become perfection. Passion and mastery like unto the poised grandeur of mountains. He is truly a god."

I suddenly realize I've been lost within, and look back up at my audience.

*chuckle* "Sorry, folks. I get a little carried away sometimes.

"So then, I asked those who had witnessed the battle to assist me in moving my companions back to the dojo for healing.

"And here we are. Safe from this threat. Thanks to Grandfather Li! I'll do what I can when such dangers come along, but it's nice to know Li is also still guarding us! The altar at my dojo is always open whenever anyone wants to stop by and give thanks to Li."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Azver wrote:"I often forget that people who have not dedicated themselves to the martial arts don't know the most important, and most basic, truth about it. The martial arts is not about fighting. It's about a state of being. The goal is to make the mind and body one. A state where we think without thinking; act without acting. This state of being can be achieved through any number of methods. Martial artists achieve it through our physical movements.

"Most serious martial artists achieve this state at times. When Grandfather Li joined with me during the fight with the wolves, I learned that he lived this state every moment of his life. He had mastered all skill and prowess that we desire, all restraint and calm, and had become perfection. Passion and mastery like unto the poised grandeur of mountains. He is truly a god."
The Harper smiled broadly and nodded vigorously at these words. When Azver finished, she broke in to a song of thanksgiving dedicated to him, played heraldically on the new horn with the primitive valve and tube arrangement devised by the Smith and herself. It was apparent the versatility of the instrument was pleasing to all who listened.

She then followed the song with these words.

"Anything can be used to attain this state of being. It is all a gift of finding the Artistry within the action. Azver finds such in practing martial arts. His pratice is called an art for a reason. Everything we do, every moment in our life, is an opportunity to shine. Even in the most boring chore, there is the opportunity to make it one’s own. Find a new way to do it, or make up a song to make the time go faster. Improve on what is known, and be the best at that boring chore, so others seek you out to learn your methods. Show pride in whatever you do, and you will be well rewarded.

"We all have the opportunity to find this state ourselves, regardless of how we choose to attain it. For Azver, and those who wish to follow a set path, the practice of martial arts is a boon for them and for the entire community. For those who may wish to seek such a state of being outside of martial arts, try turning your attention to the gifts of the Lady Aurora, Mistress of Artistry. She will help guide all in finding and developing whatever their own gift may be, hidden or already known.

"For those already aware of these gifts within them, I invite them to come demonstrate and share them at my evening class with the children down in the glade by the river. My mother has demonstrated her skill with the needle, and the joy she finds in creating useful, yet beautiful items. The children are learning, and expanding their vision of the world around them.

"Come join us and demonstrate your own gift; whether mundane, recreational, or spiritual. Or feel free to sit in on the classes. All are welcome."

Turning aside from the main gathering, Laurel catches up to the sensei being celebrated and bows a greeting. "I would be honored if you would come lead a session for the children. Any and all paths are welcome to come speak about the Artistry within them."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

For a few days, I make an announcement before each class begins.

"Something very important will be happening Saturday at noon. Attendance is mandatory. You will all learn about one of the purposes of this temple. Something I have not told anyone about, because things had to happen before that purpose could be realized. The time has come. Please be here. Tell every student, in case they aren't here before then. And it concerns all of Twinsriver, so feel free to spread the word. Everyone is welcome, as long as there's room."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Saturday

I stand in the doorway between the altar and the dojo, facing into the dojo. I have the Nine stand in a semicircle, facing me, their backs to the other students and the villagers who choose to attend. It is time for me to tell them all of our holy mission.

"Thank you all for coming. I have something very important to tell all of you.

"It began, of course, with Grandfather Li. Li was the greatest fighter anyone has ever known. Many of us know that the martial arts are not a means to an end. In truth, contrary though it may seem, the ability to fight is not even the reason for learning to fight. The purpose and reward is the betterment of the self. Overcoming the physical trials with discipline, dedication, and self-control, we seek to hone our minds into things perfect in both strength and peace.

"But just because there is no outward goal for becoming an accomplished fighter, doesn't mean that the fighting skills gained cannot be put to practical use. Li took it upon himself to be the Guardian of Twinsriver. Even if much of what he did is unknown to our latest generations, nearly everyone has heard his name.

"I have emulated my honored ancestor all my life, and will continue to do so now. Even though I will continue to study the martial arts, I have achieved a level that allows me to explore other things. And it will help me in the direction I will be going. That direction is this:

"I hereby pledge myself and this building - this organization - the Temple of Li - to the Guardianship of Twinsriver.

"We face new dangers. I sense intent behing things. The murder of Shoner. The wolves. And I saw... something. I will try to learn more about it.

"This protection will take several forms. First, as I'm already doing, I will take on students. Each person who can protect his or herself adds to the safety of the overall village.

"Second, I will be as good a Guardian as I can be. I cannot match Li in ability, but I am far from helpless. And, as we learned with the wolves, Li is able and willing to help me.

"And third, I will have help."

I face each of the Nine in turn as I speak his or her name.

"Korik. Shan. Baran. Garet. Saigo. Ceris. Alaric. Rand. Duncan. You show the qualities I want in those who help me. No, you are not the most experienced fighters. But you are dedicated. You are true. You work as hard as anyone. You do not despair. You do not weaken in the mind or spirit just because the body weakens.

"You nine felt the call of duty to Twinsriver, and volunteered to help me destroy the wolves.

"And you all revere Li. You have asked to know all I could teach you about him. And you have thanked him for what he did for our village in his day, for that helped shape our village in our day.

"You are the Nine. You are the first of my Warrior Priests."

I take nine necklaces from inside the sleeve of my gi. Each is a simple pendant, with Li's symbol on it.

"Brand was gracious enough to make these for us."

I put one on each of the Nine.

"Let us make our home safe, my Warrior Priests!"
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The Harper eyes the other two tournament organizers as she made short work of her draught. "The Tournament Hall is going to be a magnificent building, but I do not understand how the builders got the impression that the fights were to be held there. Azver, did you not explain the fighters planned to choose different locations, so as to present different challenges, each year? Krinn, did you not also present the idea of the hall as a gathering place for entertainment and socializing away from the bouts themselves?"

Shaking her head, Laurel continues, "An amphitheater is well and good, but on the scale that is planned I believe for most performances it will barely be filled. Plus, if the fighters do choose to fight in a field, on a mountain, in the deep woods, or in the river in subsequent years, as Azver explained will most likely be the case, what would be the purpose of this size amphitheater?

"Should we attempt to explain again to the Builders Guild that the Tournament of the Sword itself will be held in different locations in different years before construction gets too far along to be scaled down?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Laurel, I thought I had been clear.

For nearly one hundered years, fighters have gathered from throughout the region on the same day each year. The Tournament of the Sword is a sacred thing to some. It's a joyous thing to all.

But, in a way, it's an informal thing. We fight near Twinsriver, wherever seems to be a good spot. We really don't care where it is. For the sake of being able to organize the rounds, we all fight in the same area, but that area isn't the same from year to year. It's not planned ahead of time. The first few who show up each year just choose a spot. "Let's fight in the hills." "Let's fight down by the river." "Let's fight in the forest." There are arguments often enough, but it's decided pretty quickly.

Nobody has the authority to declare the location. Probably because it's never been a problem. If there isn't agreement, and fights were breaking out, I suppose the current Champion would be the one the others would look to to choose. But that hasn't happened. We really don't care. It's just not that important. Plus, nobody's going to fight before the tournament starts. And I'm not going to be the first Champion to attempt to rule. It would likely be the end of the Tournament.

If you build an arena, I'll put in a good word for it. Since the location isn't important, whatever you build would be as good a place as any. Showmanship is one of the reasons a lot of fighters come, so it's not impossible that it would be chosen. And it could be seen as a grand stage for the final matches. I just can't make any promises.
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

"Yes, there seems to be some confusion. My apologies for that. The expectation is that the fighters will arrive, pick a place, fight, judge each other's fighting, settle on a Champion, and eventually go home. Nothing we discuss will change that. And, if we tried, they'd just ignore us anyway. Since I'll be fighting as well, I'll make a point of letting the rest of the people know where it's happening, so people can come watch."

"But, outside of the fighting itself, there will be a lot of people from around the world coming to watch. Lords will want to see how their countrymen fare in the bouts. And if one lord is here to watch, all of his peers need to come as well, or lose face. Merchants will want to come, so they can meet with each other and share goods they otherwise couldnt find. Our own merchants will meet with all of them and profit handsomely."

"And all of this will happen here, in our town. In our inns and taverns. All of these guests will watch the fights and then will want to go somewhere to relax and to talk to each other. THAT is where the amphitheater will be needed: not for the tournament, but for all the hooplah that happens because of the tournament."

"That is why I've been working with the Builder's Guild to improve the inns and taverns. And why the elders declared that all the buildings in town must be tiled instead of thatched. We will host a great event, and the whole world will be watching. We must impress them all."

"I got to accompany some of the elders on a journey to the west, to extend invitations to the more notable members of those communities. It was a great honor, and has already helped our village grow. Future trips, farther and wider, should bring word of our village to even more ears. With luck, more and better fighters will attend the tournament itself, and more trade will accompany then, for the betterment of all."
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Then we seem to be agreed that an amphitheater, on the scale which is being built, is overkill for what it will be used for. A smaller amphitheater, or even an enclosed concert/gathering hall, would be sufficient and can still be impressive and magnificent.

"I have been away from home many years, and was a child when I left. I seek your guidance on how to best address this. Shall we approach the Council or Guild together and attempt to change what is being done? Or as Chief Organizer of the Tournament, may I have your endorsement to present these ideas again for reconsideration?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Laurel bowed low before the members of the Builders Guild, then straightened proudly to address her audience.

“Good Guild members, I thank you for your welcome and willingness to hear me out regarding the current design of ‘Tournament Hall.’

“Since the Tournament of the Sword combatants will not guarantee they will exclusively fight in an open-air arena before spectators, there is no need to build a stadium large enough to accommodate the changing terrain needs of the entrants and the many spectators expected to inundate Twinsriver to observe the battles. Per the input of our current champion, Azver, and tournament merchandiser, Krinn, such battles will take place in various locations, with temporary pavilions set up to accommodate the spectators wherever the fighters choose to compete.

“If we continue with a huge coliseum as is currently underway, will it not sit unused most of the year other than during the Tournament in the Spring of each year? Not to mention the potential for the Hall to be unused by the fighters even during the Tournament?

“We don’t wish to create a magnificent boondoggle, do we?

“Instead, what I envision is a grand hall; a place to be used year-round, especially in the height of winter. An open air amphitheater should be included, but on a smaller scale than the planned coliseum; to be used for spring, summer and fall concerts, plays, award ceremonies, and the occasional large Holy Rite/Office for the various deities of Twinsriver, ones which may be too large for a standard Temple. But the main building will be enclosed; holding art galleries, intimate stages, and an acoustically perfect grand theater with elevated boxes for VIPs and other distinguished guests to mingle and refresh themselves during the performances without being distractions to the rest of the audience. Small niches with shrines to the various deities of Twinsriver will be throughout, so homage to our protectors can be given freely and abundantly.

“In the lower levels will be practice/rehearsal rooms, art studios, dressing rooms, as well as general meeting rooms and lounges for the artists and exhibitors to gather to exchange ideas or merely relax.

“The Artistry shown by our Guild members on what has already been built has amazed everyone who has taken the time to appreciate it. And the speed of construction, with such perfection and safety, has never been seen before. The Lady Aurora, She who blesses those who seek with Artistry in all they pursue, has showered her gifts upon us. Let us downscale the size of this building, and put our energy instead in to creating a wonder that will draw visitors to our village merely by its magnificence. Then when it functions as it was built to do, the reputation of Twinsriver and her Builders Guild will become legendary.

“Again, thank you for allowing me to address you today.”
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The Harper makes her way over to the smithy, and waits at the entrance until Brand Redbeard pauses in his work and smiles a welcome.

"Good Smith. The Council of Elders has informed me of your idea to expand the competitions during the Tournament of the Sword to include other areas of expertise; such as music, painting, sculpture, cooking and baking, smithing, needlework, and more. Perhaps we can even include livestock demonstrations and shows. I am embarrassed I did not think of this myself; my only excuse is that I had been focused on redirecting the efforts of Festival Hall to be more community based rather than Tournament. The suggestion is a wonderful addition to the idea of the Tournament, and one I am happy to take on the work to implement.

"My sincere thanks for your suggestion and influence. Is there anyway I can repay you?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

In the marketplace

"Once again, I am grateful and humbled by the generosity of the many who helped expand the temple-dojo of Li. The dojo doubled in size this month! I only hope it's enough. As more and more people want to honor Grandfather Li, learn the martial arts, or both, we will build new temple-dojos. One for each of Li's nine Warrior Priests. I can't imagine needing room beyond even that!

"I want to reassure everyone that the generosity shown me will always be returned to Twinsriver. There's more than one purpose for all I've been doing. The reverence of Li is a big part. But why do we revere Him? Not simply because He was a great fighter. That's been my personal inspiration, but it is not a reason to worship Him. Li was our Guardian. I've been bringing back the stories of His dedication to our village. I'd be surprised if any of you who didn't know anything specific about Li have not heard of one event or another by now. That's why He is worth of our worship. How any human could fight as he did is beyond me, but what he did with that skill and power is more important. He protected us.

"And that's my purpose. I, the Nine, and many of those we train will be dedicated to Twinsriver's safety, as Li was. The Nine and I already patrol, and others will join us. Not only do we face the dangers of a suddenly increased population, as we've all heard the town crier mention, but things like the wolves are out there. And we've experienced relatively peaceful times in the last couple generations, but it's best to prepare for less peaceful times. And I'll be ready if more bizarre things come along.

"I'm very happy to say that Li approves of all this! He has given me vague hints and signs of approval for months now, telling me to protect the village. But this month, He appeared to me twice, and spoke to me! I'm thrilled beyond words! With all of your help, I'm on the right track, and Twinsriver will be safe for all of us!"
Gener
Servant of the Land

Post by Gener »

"'Safe for all of us.'" Yes, that's important. I can certainly go along with that.

So what does that mean for us normal folks, those not compelled to prove themselves worthy warriors, to increase their holdings more than they need, or to speak with gods? Yes, I have been granted the privelege of receiving Kimer's guidance and wisdom, but it is only for the purpose of addressing wrongs and keeping ordinary people safe, so I see myself more kin with Mr. Varren here than with you prophets.

I ask you, Azver, and you other prophets that seem to think as he does, when did any of the village express our willingness to change our way of life to feed your quest for glory? Did we say, "Y'know, we could really use a few more people around here who want to take and benefit from our town but feel no connection to it" or "What this village needs is more ne'er-do-wells and thieves"? Did you send a call for people to work our fields, to join our respected masons, potters, and bakers? Some like Brand have asked for a measure of respect, I'll grant ye, but it is a mere pat on the head for those who have been the bedrock of this community for so many years.

And while you speak your grand words in front of me and these people, talking about your fine new palace, look to the back of the cart behind me. There's Geff Spritz, on his way to Kimer's Field for his eternal peace. His crime? Standing in the way of the two miscreants that sought to rob a handful of humble farmers that have gathered with me for protection.

I will have justice for Spritz, Azver, and I will have real safety, real security for the people of Twinsriver, the fine people who knew that if life was good enough here for their father or their father's father, it's good enough for them. That is why I have formed a constabulary of the people, not a select unelected and unaccountable group of supposedly noble warriors. That is why I am asking the good men and women of Twinsriver to support me as magistrate, so that the laws of this town—not some god or fanatic—will come down heavily on those who seek to pervert our way of life.

I do not propose to stand in the way of your progress. Those that want will want. Some fortunate few may even end up having. But I do propose that someone makes sure that Twinsriver in body stays Twinsriver at heart. Not Azver-Town, not Prophet Place. I and those who support me will be the watchful eyes on those some here think should be free, the shepherd's crook against the wolves of opportunity.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Gener, you're putting a lot of words in my mouth. I do not feel as you declare I feel.

"I will protect Twinsriver as best I can. It's what Li did, and it's what I will do. Unlike Li, I can't do it entirely on my own, so I'm getting others to help me. Others who want to live by the ideals of Li - honing our bodies to their ultimate, and using our fighting skills to protect our village.

"But that's a far different thing from expanding the village and increasing its population. I was quite happy with what my father and his father had. The Tournament of the Sword is what has concerned me for most of my life. Attracting new fighters, from far and wide, can only add to it.

"But I don't need Twinsriver to grow. If it does, I'll protect it as best I can. *shrug* Would you have me not bother? Whatever its size, I'll do my best. If it grows, I'll concentrate on the original village, and move out as we have the strength and numbers to do so.

"You've known what I'm about, Gener. I've spoken to you about my mission to protect Twinsriver. I asked you to let me know if there's anything specific I can help with. You have not. If others are gathered with you for protection, don't you think it might be a good idea for us to work together? That seems obvious to me. But if you want to keep your group separate, I certainly won't force the issue. I don't see myself as the authority and head of Twinsriver's security. I'm just doing what I can. Work with me, or alone. I'd prefer together, but it's obviously your right to choose.

"If you want to stop and prevent the kind of growth we're seeing, you won't have to fight me. Let's hear more about what you would do as magistrate. Maybe I'll support you."

Return to “Prophets”