Prophet Forum

Moderators: AllMother, caamora

AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

The council listens to the Harper, some nodding, others raising eyebrows and others simply listening, stone faced.

One elder council member known as Weatherby gestures to an attendant.

"Please ask Magistrate Gener and Master Azver to attend us."

As the attendant leaves, Weatherby responds to you.

"Madam Laurel, your opinions have merit however, Magistrate Gener has the best intentions for Twinsriver, I assure you, as do Masters Azver and Krinn.

"Your words make the welcome center a prison," he says with a chuckle. " Vistors have hardly been manhandled entering the city and I see that a show of security is the prudent action to take, considering that we are having an influx of fighters."

He peers at you closely and asks, " Do you question the competence of Gener, Azver or Krinn? Or do you not trust them to act with character and integrity?"
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Let me clarify, Master Weatherby. I do not question the intentions nor integrity of our good Magistrate, nor Azver, nor Krinn. I do question their exposure to the lessons of history.

"I entirely agree with the need for a prudent defense, however I see the steps we are taking towards offensive and expeditionary forces as having the potential of leading us towards a path uncomfortably similar to the Lay I shared yesterday. Even the best of intentions can lead us down paths we do not foresee.

"Regarding the welcome centers, if we are to establish them, we need to assure they remain places of welcome, and not of ostracism. Is there no way they can be built within our village walls? So that those who come to visit us, whether in trade or for events such as the Tournament. can truly experience our hospitality, and not be held at arms length?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Weatherby looks down and smiles the knowing smile of an old man for in fact, he is the oldest of the council.

"Ostracism is clearly not the intent. But, I have known many villages that have only the main buildings within the walls and the farms and living quarters outside the walls. In times of crisis, the villagers take refuge inside and the gates closed, securing everyone inside."

He pauses and looks at you again. The other council members sit, listening.

"would you have us welcome every vagabond, every criminal, every plague-ridden outsider into our village without any care to our health and safety? Would you put Twinsriver at such risk?

"Madam Laurel, you seem to fear a tyranny yet to be discovered. Perhaps when our good magistrate arrives, he can expand on his ideas for this welcome center.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Entering. Stage left.

"Hello, everyone."

*bow to Laurel - bow to the Council of Elders*

"I'm happy Laurel got this started. I was going to approach the Council myself. It seems I have been put in charge of a militia. I heard the news from the Crier. I would appreciate being informed of such things concerning me before everyone else is informed of them.

"What's more," *I meet the eye of each Elder* "I would appreciate being asked. Perhaps, in your desire to accomplish as much as possible for the good of Twinsriver in the shortest amount of time, you have taken some shortcuts. Please be more careful in the future."

*lightening up*

"And I'm sure you are working for the good of Twinsriver. Laurel, Gener or Mr. Weatherby can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the terms 'defensive' and 'offensive', in this case, refer only to the fighting styles. I have been helping Gener train some fighters in styles that focus on disarming and immobilizing attackers. While I am proficient in those styles, I also train people in styles that will harm the opponent. I assume the idea is that those who have a preference in how they would want to defend our home will be able to choose which of us to go to for training."

*look at Weatherby for confirmation*

"I'm more than happy to train anyone as the Crier said. Basics of using weapons; holding pikes; when and how to withdraw or advance as a unit; etcetera. Of course, any are welcome to join the other students at my temple for more in-depth instruction in the martial arts."

"As for the militia, such a body is not an army that marches out to attack. A militia is simply the body of citizens, trained to fight if invaded. Better to have everyone trained to a basic level if it becomes necessary. I have read about other societies where all males are required to train for even a year or two, which is much more than what the Elders are now ordering. But those societies existed in much more hostile situations. In any event, no militia I train will invade anyone else without going through me first. I will not have what I teach, taught to me by Li, used in ways Li would oppose."

*becoming more serious*

"But let me tell all about how serious things can become. I was out of town a couple days ago. A group of bandits killed some people Krinn had been travelling with, and stole all they had. Two of my Warrior Priests were with Krinn, trying to find the bandits. The bandits turned out to be what appeared to be a horrifically brutal cult. They were raping, torturing, and killing captives in ways that seemed to be sacrificial. I went to help in the final battle. That particular group is no longer a problem.

"But they were only a couple weeks' distance, so danger is not as far off as we would hope. I think this order of the Council's comes at a good time."
Gener
Servant of the Land

Post by Gener »

An interesting story you present, harper. Perhaps next you can sing the one about Inquisitive Geoff and the Mountain Troll. There are, after all, a few children in the audience who might be scared of such a tale, and us grown folk would surely appreciate a story told about naivete rather than with it.

The walls are where they have to be. We are not a large village, nor are our resources without limit. To make the best use of what we have, the walls are being constructed using the outside walls of the outermost houses. Anything not already inside of the village will by necessity, if nothing else, have to be outside it. Will you put master Luhann out of the home his grandfather built to give temporary residence to drifters? Must goodwife Elenny move in to her son's farm next to mine so that your visitors may have her garden? I say nay.

However, in years to come, those who even now are drawn to our fair community will build new homes and businesses along the wall, seeking and earning citizenship in Twinsriver. When the numbers are large enough and our means allow, we may erect another wall outside these, expanding Twinsriver.

For now, the heart must be protected. If war should arrive, Kimer forbid, we can bring all within the walls, which will be higher and stronger for not having to be built from scratch.

On the subject of war and armies, I am merely answering the concerns that the elders put to me. I believe it was Elder Leon who expressed worry about, "the newfound wealth the village is generating, making Twinsriver a target for crime, if not invasion from as yet unnamed enemies."

I believe the walls and the constabulary are competent to defend Twinsriver, but I know nothing of warfare, directing those inclined to the masters I thought most competent in those arts. They are, of course, welcome to decline. Perhaps Twinsriver doesn't need an offensive force, but from what I've every other city-state and some few writings in the history of Kimer (which mentions punitive armies to respond to and deter aggression), I suspect such a view is foolish. Kimer be merciful, we will never find ourselves having to answer such questions, but it I believe it is better to have and not need than the other way around.

On another subject, the elders also expressed to me worries about plague. Accordingly, I did my best to prepare and found that the water beneath Twinsriver, owing to the confluence of the groundwater of the two rivers and the innate strength of our soil, has curative properties. The elders are undoubtedly wise, because already I have heard reports of illness in nearby lands.

For this reason alone, I believe it is best to have Twinsriver ready to defend itself from those who would take what we have.

Perhaps, though, you could sing your songs of laying down arms in the foreign cities that inspired them? You may be content to bare your larder to strangers or abandon your values for foreign ones, but I do not think the rest of us are.
"When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change."
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Addressing Azver, Weatherby sternly says," Master Azver, do not disrespect this council with your accusations of not being asked. You, yourself, and others of this village put your full weight behind the nomination of Magistrate Gener and he has therefore been duly charged with keeping Twinsriver safe. It would seem to be then, that you would be pleased to help him in any way rather than complaining of not being 'asked.'

"Am i to understand then, that you are not up to the task?"

As Gener speaks, the council listens.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Azver, you are correct. Please spare the elders, for the presumption was mine. As you say, the idea is not to form a standing army (not that we could afford such) but one that can come together at need, and as you have expressed willingness to train others in the arts...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Mr. Weatherby, did I not just say, 'I'm more than happy to train anyone as the Crier said'? What you say is true, but that's a very different thing from finding out what my new duties are from the Cryer."

"Gener, I think you may be on to something. I've recently learned just how powerful our deities can be, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if invaders could be 'sung to sleep.' Or friendship, pacificism, surrender... Food for thought, Laurel?"
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Weatherby leans forward in his seat, looks at Azver and pleasantly, but dangerously, says, "Master Azver, again I will ask you to respect this council or be found in contempt for your words.

"I clearly heard you say you were willing to take on this task assigned to you. I am old but I am not deaf.

"but you will show the proper respect to this council. Backtalk is for children and little girls and will not be tolerated." Weatherby leans back and continues, " But if you come before us with respect and dignity, we are more than happy to listen ti you. Is this understood?"

Weatherby looks around at the other council members as they nod in agreement.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Mr. Weatherby, I am confused. I said I am more than happy to do this job, but that I was unhappy with how I was informed of it. You then asked if I was not up to the task. I then restated that I am more than happy to do it, and restated that I am not happy with the manner in which I was informed of my duties. I do not see where my show of disrespect lies."
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Weatherby nods, silent and smiling and waits for the next person to speak.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Elder Weatherby, I understand the need to to build the walls and gates, and to be ready to protect our village from harms way. Yet to screen every visitor arriving in our town feels reactionary to me.

"As part of my healer training at the craft hall, it has been taught that very few severe illnesses are actually transmitted human to human. There are usually underlying circumstances which proper hygiene and food preparation prevents. Refusing admittance to the ill seeking care and comfort would be cruel.

"How would a screening at the gates determine if one is a vaqabond or criminal? My assumption is if one looks the part of a vagrant or criminal, it may be because they themselves were set upon during their travels here. Successful criminals do not announce their intentions at check points."

As Azver explains what he believes the offensive milita to be, the harper slowly nods and accepts the explanation. "That makes more sense than developing an offensive unit for attacking. But why an expeditionary and reconnaissance force?

"The potential of using Artistry as a defense or influence on those who may wish us ill is a matter I shall pray upon. The Lady Aurora may have her own views on the matter, as she is the deity of Artistry for all, not just those of Twinsriver."

Her eye brow rising in response to the Magistrate's diminishing of the value of the Lay she shared, she bows as she realizes that perhaps here is one who may have had more education than she expected within her home.

"Magistrate, it is apparent you are wise to the ways songs and tales can instruct, as well as entertain. My tale was a cautionary one of potential paths we wish not to travel, not to scare children in to their beds.

"Using the outer walls of already built houses for the walls is a cost saving measure to be sure, but is it truly safe to expose the families who have homes there to potential breach, should we ever fall under attack? I am surprised none of those home owners questioned the use of their homes in such a way when the plans for the walls were presented to them to get their permission to have their homes used in such a way.

"Truth be told, I do not see why we need to build welcome houses and gardens at all. I do not believe every traveler to our village need be stopped and interrogated. Having a check point for weapons, fine. But that should not be cause for visitors to need to be housed outside our already established inns and taverns. The process should not take much time.

"Unless it is your intent to drive down the business of our innkeepers and barkeeps within our walls?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Gener
Servant of the Land

Post by Gener »

The only screening, as you call it, is for weapons, though with word of plague, perhaps it is a good idea to have the guards ready to call a healer. And other than known criminals, none are refused entry or exit. Surely this is a sensible policy? I am the first to advise caution, but I would think a lady of your position and esteem would not so readily carry herself with such an air of alarm.

Perhaps your intent could have been better served with more direct words, Laurel. We're a plain spoken people here in Twinsrivers, if you have forgotten.

And would these families be any safer if there were no walls? We have done what we can to add reinforcement where needed. I have heard no complaints of master Brand's work, nor were any complaints raised when I proposed this plan, the townsfolk seeing fit to elect me to this office upon the strength of it. Perhaps you were distracted at the time, composing one of your songs. I hear musicians are like that, their heads so high up in the clouds they do not see where their feet are going.

The welcome houses are not inns or the like, something you could have been told if only you'd asked. They do offer a modicum of shelter from the elements, but there are no plans for lodgings or refreshments other than water. There will be space for the village's artisans to display their wares and a town's representative to help traveler's find their way to their destination in town, offer information on how they may apply for citizenship or apprenticeship to one of our respected masters, and other services.

Other than demonstrating our hospitality to those coming to twinsriver—rather than just our might, unity of purpose, and craftsmanship of the wall and gates—the centers and gardens will provide the framework to allow and encourage growth around the walls. In my mind, I see our village as a shining beacon on the hill, calling to others to join us and help us grow, with Twinsriver eventually becoming a city, stretching from either bank of its namesakes but beating pure and strong with the heart at its center.

No, the only voice of protest I hear is yours, Laurel, and it comes rather late in the process. If you have ideas on how life in Twinsriver can be improved (which is not to say altered, becoming like one of those cities of your songs rather than the home we known and love), by all means, share them with us. But so far, other than naysaying, all I've heard from you is that our village should be exposed and left defenseless to the whims of fate.
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

As Gener speaks, most of the council members nods in agreement.

"The council will talk briefly and return when they have reached a decision." With that, they all stand and retire to a room off the council chamber.

The wait is not long and within the hour, they return to the chamber and sit.

Weatherby, says, "Madam Laurel, you have been using very strong words in your resistance to this action. But, the council hears your concerns and has a suggestion: perhaps you can assist in the Welcome Center and have your harpers design the gardens to be more welcoming.

"We all want to see Twinsriver prosper - safely, of course - and it is important that we work together to make it..uh, what did you call it Master Gener? 'A shining beacon' that we can all be part of.

"So, let it be known that the council has concluded that the Welcome Center and Gardens continue but that Madam Laurel and the Harpers will help in the design to make it a more welcoming place, as befits it's status.

"All councilmembers in favor?"

Most say "Aye!"

"All against?"

A few say "Nay."

Weatherby continues, "The 'aye's' have it. Meeting adjourned."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The harper bows to the decision of the council.

"At least by having a hand in the design and function of the welcome houses and gardens, the more worrisome traits may be avoided.

"Still, if they could be built within the village, or even in the walls near the gate, so those having to go through them do not necessarily feel quarantined off, the idea would sit better with me. Are the plans at a point where such could be accommodated? I would be happy to discuss such an option with the architects Atristry has provided to the project and with the Master smith."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
AllMother
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by AllMother »

Many of the council members raise their eyebrows at your suggestion. Many begin mumbling and you see a few shake their heads. A few shoot damning looks at you.

Weatherby speaks up, " Madam Harper, the council has made its decision and given you a say in the matter and included you in the design of the center and gardens.

"Now you ask for more? As Master Gener rightfully said, you are the only one to come forward against this and you want him to give even more?

"We will not hear more on the subject. Master Gener has designated that the Welcome Center and gardens be located outside the village walls. As the council, we agree with that decision. You are welcome to use your art to make them as pleasant and welcoming as possible, within the confines of Gener's authority. "

With that, the council leaves the chamber.
Gener
Servant of the Land

Post by Gener »

"The Elders' wisdom is ever apparent."

Gener bows to the departing figures.

"I realize we have our differences, Laurel, but please do not let that dissuade you from coming to me if you have concerns. Every Twinsrivers citizen's voice will be heard, and all those who love our town must be free to aid it how they choose. The other side of that coin, however, is that when the town asks for aid, its citizens must not be unstinting in giving it.

"I am certain you will do a wonderful job with the centers and gardens. Should you need assistance, please ask. For now, though, I must depart and get back to the business of Twinsrivers.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

*looks around mostly empty room*

"Well, that went well."

*chuckle*

”In case anyone is interested, I'm going to start building a library. I had opportunity to do a lot of reading lately, and have come to think everybody should have the same opportunity. It's not going to be dedicated to Li, or any other power. It's just something I want to do for Twinsriver.

"I'll build it near my temple, simply because I'm there more than any other spot. I'll build it by hand, entirely by myself, taking as long as it takes, if that's how it works out. If anyone wants to help, all the better. Again, it's not going to be consecrated to any deity, so no need to worry about working for a deity you aren't interested in."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The harper smiles happily at Azver's news.

"A library! How wonderful.

"I totally understand why you would wish to construct it near the dojo, since it will be nearby you and you would not have to divide your time extensively between the two places. But wouldn't developing a cultural area along with Festival Hall and the amphitheater make more sense? Each would benefit from foot traffic to the other.

"Also, Schoolmaster Robert and I have been in discussion. The school could use expansion. Festival Hall is already going to contain workshops, rehearsal rooms, and class rooms for artisans and performers. Why not build a school, possibly through university level, in the library? Or, make the cultural area truly a square, and start with the library, expanding to include a school at a later time."

Turning the force of her smile upon the departing magistrate, she concludes, "Would this not be a grand start to your 'shining beacon on the hill?'"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"No, Laurel, I'm going to stick with my plan. It's a labor of love for me, and I'm going to do it near my temple.

"It will be small, at least in the beginning. There's obviously not been an overwhelming call for one. We've gone without a library at all up until now, after all. It may be that it will grow faster than expected. If so, it can be added to.

"Or a second library can be built elsewhere. If it works out that another is needed, I won't even have a problem with the books moving from this one to that. I'll just turn this into my personal library, and keep the books with personal meaning to me. Obviously, those will only be the ones that I personally acquired. Personal gifts to me; books I travelled and found; books I paid others to find while on their travels... And not even necessarily all of those. Any that were donated to the library itself would go to the new location.

"Honestly, I hadn't put much thought into it. I just knew that I wanted to build a library. It's very meaningful for me on a personal level, and I thought it could also benefit the town. But if it takes, and Twinsriver would benefit more from a bigger library, or a different location, I'd still want my small library, to feed my heart and soul.

"Anyway, it's not such a long walk from anywhere to anywhere else around here." *grin*

Return to “Prophets”