Prophet Forum

Moderators: AllMother, caamora

Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The harper bows to the current Champion.

"Perhaps you show wisdom beyond my instinctive reaction to your news, Azver. With the village wall, the welcome center and visitor gardens, Festival Hall and the amphitheater, Twinsriver's resources may already be stretched. Festival Hall and the amphitheater are on schedule to be completed prior to the Tournament in March. Once we experience the success of our hosting the Tournament, we shall have further resources to discuss building a university and/or larger library at that time.

"In the meantime, would you like me to request volunteers to assist you among Artistry's architects and craftsmen? If you intend to privately fund this yourself, I am sure what aid can be volunteered would be appreciated."

*soft smile*
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Any help would be great. It will be a long process, I suspect, because I want to use it for training. Leveling off the ground, cutting trees for beams, and dragging granite from the other side of the rivers will be a good workout!

"For now, I could use some help with designing it."
Ianua
Servant of the Land

Post by Ianua »

*Ianua materializes, not in an actual magical way, but like a person who heard the word "library" and has intents to read every single word of interest, preferably before it opens, likely with time left to re-read*

"Greetings to everyone. Have I heard something about a library? I'm most certainly eager to help, be it with actual work, or with supplying the contents. Actually, feels more like the latter, though the former is not out of question."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Hi, Ianua. I had a feeling I'd be seeing you when word of a library got out." *chuckle*
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

It's been pointed out to me that, with all the construction going on - Wall, Festival Hall, expansion of my temple - there aren't any more hands to work on a library of any respectable size. And I should do more work on the Wall at the moment, instead of working on the library all alone. Is there room for a library in the Festival Hall? I understand construction on it has been stopped for the moment, and I agree that the safety of Twinsriver is more important. But can a library be fit into the plans?
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Good Azver, as I told the council a few weeks ago, I hope in time to make the area around Festival Hall a performing arts and cultural center. I see a university and library as part of that vision.

"Many of the smaller rooms in Festival Hall are meant for meetings and gathering. I will be happy to discuss the possibility of designating one, or several, of those rooms for a library with the designers planning the interiors.

"Will that work for now?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Chastised, the harper walks out of the Council chamber, reliving her actions over the past month and reviewing how her teaching via tales and questioning the direction the town was taking could be seen as "assuming authority" over Twinsriver's ruling body. Regardless, her reputation and what respect she garnered had taken quite a beating.

Yes, harpers are a lusty lot. One need only look at Briala and Merelan, despite their societal differences, to make that observation. But Laurel has no time for such indulgences; nor has anyone expressed any interest in pursuing such with her since she returned home.

Shaking her head to clear it as she walks by the marketplace, the Town Crier starts making announcements.

A harvest festival and feast? Perhaps some song and gaiety will be appreciated during the feast.

The harper listens to the rest of the announcements, again feeling chastised as the thanks to the smith for the raising of the wall is expressed. Brand told me himself he focused on the gates; that the rest of the wall was designed and crafted by the architects and craftsmen I assigned via the Councils orders...

Her head hanging low, the harper makes her way back to her Lady's glade, and spends the night in meditation and contemplation, trying to assess where she went awry.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Laurel wrote:"Good Azver, as I told the council a few weeks ago, I hope in time to make the area around Festival Hall a performing arts and cultural center. I see a university and library as part of that vision.

"Many of the smaller rooms in Festival Hall are meant for meetings and gathering. I will be happy to discuss the possibility of designating one, or several, of those rooms for a library with the designers planning the interiors.

"Will that work for now?"
"Since I'm only in the planning stages, and don't actually have any books, that will certainly work for now. Heh. As soon as there's a designated place to put them, we'll see who donates. Then, I hope to travel far and wide to find more. Things of distant places, so we can all learn about things we've never heard before!"
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

Post by Marianna of Twinsriver »

Azver, I am currently working on a book that could possibly be the crowning glory of your library. This should encourage other books, scrolls and donations to emerge.

I am confident we will make your library a center for learning in the land.
The Councillor
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Thank you, Marianna! An unexpected delight, to be sure! What's the book about?
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

When Laurel hears of Mariana's words regarding the book being worked on, she smiles a small smile, suspecting she has at least heard about said effort. And the Harper will do what she can to encourage the endeavor.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

Post by Marianna of Twinsriver »

Azver wrote:Thank you, Marianna! An unexpected delight, to be sure! What's the book about?

Janus.
The Councillor
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Well that's a surprise! I look forward to it.
Ianua
Servant of the Land

Post by Ianua »

Ianua walks to the door of his house holding a scroll. He proceeds to nail the scroll to the door, so that it's one of the first things to mention immediately.

"Laurel, worry not about the gossip, people are presumptuous, not much can be done about that - see the new and unexpected decoration I have on my door."

"Marianna, pleasant to hear of an endeavor in a field I enjoy so much, surely I'll be glad to see the results and wish you every luck. Writing is a noble thing to do, one of the most admirable things in this world"
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Ah, my Lady! As you will, so it will be done.
...but I miss your presence.

May you find joy in a prophet who better suits your goals.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

*approaches Gener as the Magistrate is about to meet with the Elders*

Gener. I'm hearing gossip about slave traders here in Twinsriver. I don't know what could conceivably be done about slavery in the world at large. And short of killing him, I don't know how to stop any particular person from buying or selling humans. But I sure as hell won't have them in Twinsriver, with or without their slaves. Do you have any plans that I can help with? The Warrior Priests and I will certainly be running them out of town when we learn of any.
Gener
Servant of the Land

Post by Gener »

I have heard this gossip, too. Slavery is just another example of the loathsome ways of outsiders that must not be allowed to spread in Twinsriver. Yes, some of our more hardened criminals are sentenced to hard labor, but when they have paid their debt, then they are free men, welcome—prepared, even—to rejoin our great society.

However, just as I would not accept those from another town telling us how we should do things, I do not think it right to tell others what they should do in theirs. Not until we know more, anyway.

A few phrases here and there that Kimer recorded lead me to believe that a form of slavery was once practiced in this area, one that afforded those without means to support themselves. They had far fewer rights than an average citizen (were not considered citizens, in fact), but they did have some, including the right to earn their freedom. While unenlightened and far from ideal, it was not the brutal sort of slavery where a person is treated as no more than a thing that I have heard of.
"When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

I'm not proposing telling those from another town what they should do in their town. I'm proposing telling them to go back to their town. Their evil is not welcome here.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The harper stands silently by the side of the newly covered grave; her lute slung across her back and her horn dangling from her hand, while water drips off her hair in the cold rain falling from the darkening sky. Her fellow harpers had done Piemur proud, and she nods quiet thanks as they come and touch her shoulders in solace before heading to their own abodes to replace their instruments and search for meaning in this unexpected loss.

As the last of her fellow mourners took their leave, Laurel crouches and gently kneads the newly mounded earth; her own thoughts bewildered by the recent turn of events.

My Lady, she silently cries to the heavens. I understand you feel you need to set me free. But why must this have happened to one who revered and followed you? Piemur was off to spread further knowledge of you; were you unable to protect him in the wilds? If he only could have returned alive, perhaps my own small training in Healing could have helped him; or at least ease his passing. What is this Green Death which consumed him? What is the cause of it? Is it treatable? And can it be prevented or circumvented?

As she mulls these questions over and over, her mind retrieves some rumors and gossip relayed to her over the past few months. The Magistrate had mentioned learning about curative powers in Twinsriver’s water; this was the reason why the fountain and wading pool was included in the design for the Visitors Gardens. Yet strange fish has been caught in the rivers. And there has been talk of the one called Marianna doing nearly miraculous healing on one of the Smith’s apprentices.

Marianna! The harper’s head snaps up as she thinks of this resident who she had yet to have any private contact with. As a Healer, perhaps she can offer guidance on means to learn more about the Green Death.

Laurel stands, brushing off what mud clings to her and makes her way back to the market place. I do not know if Marianna will even speak to me, should I approach her. But she may be a place to start.

I will find answers to prevent this malady from claiming any more lives!!
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

My condolences, Laurel. I don't usually know who is romantically involved with whom, so this was a surprise to me. I'm so sorry.

Return to “Prophets”