Bad Illustrating Contest

A haven for game threads.

Moderator: Damelon

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Bad Illustrating Contest

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

The idea for a contest of its own featuring shoddy graphics was conceived a while back, so here goes! This would essentially resemble the Bad Writing Game: one person gives a topic, a deadline, and the winner would get some WGW's for his or her amazing feats. They would also choose a succeeding topic, etc.

Since I'm practically a rag-clad beggar when it comes to $$$ (Just behold my post count! :P), I'd have to extend a pixelated begging bowl for prize donations. Or alternatively let someone else host it. Perhaps I'll post a heart-wrenching plea for help in the Gendisc. ;)

Here's an idea, however. Visualize the first-ever cover candidate for White Gold Wielder in all its grand glory, as described by SRD himself in the following:
GI wrote: You may be interested to know that Darrel K. Sweet's original cover for WGW depicted Marie Antoinette, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and a rhinoceros confronting Hawkman. First I wept. Then I screamed. Fortunately the success of TOT gave me the clout to insist on changes.
(01/10/2007)
Use any medium you like (traditional art, collage, MS Paint, Photoshop, Office clipart...). The quality doesn't matter, this is specifically for bad art; the main thing's to have fun. Also explain which character is which, so that we all know who's hiding beneath the skin of a rhino.

ETA #1: NO MORE DONATIONS NEEDED!

ETA #2: The prize's 1100wgds for the winner, 450 for the second place, and 203 for the third. The deadline's 6th of May.

ETA #3: Winners, put this code into your sig to display the crown:

Code: Select all

[url=http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22188][IMG]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1884/bickruunu.jpg[/IMG][/url]
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Sounds like fun! I'm in. Why not keep it to WG500, since that's the prize for Bad Writing? (Also I recently gave all my WGDs away so I don't have much to contribute!)

EDIT: Okay I had more WGDs than I realized, apparently. How about making it WG1000?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

The amount doesn't have to be big. Also, the winner ends up giving the amount away in the next round, so it is a temporary win anyway. It is essentially passing a crown around rather than a windfall of wads.
Edit: Passing a crown around... make a terrible crown graphic and the winner could have it in her or his signature and then pass it on or something. That's fun!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Okay, I've edited the 1st post for a prize/deadline. Get your imagination galloping and have fun! :D

Thanks for the donation, Deer. :hug: In the worst scenario, you're the only contestant and will get it back. XD
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Ananda wrote:Edit: Passing a crown around... make a terrible crown graphic and the winner could have it in her or his signature and then pass it on or something. That's fun!
I think that is an excellent idea! :biggrin:
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

shur-Lord Gudatetris wrote:
Ananda wrote:Edit: Passing a crown around... make a terrible crown graphic and the winner could have it in her or his signature and then pass it on or something. That's fun!
I think that is an excellent idea! :biggrin:
This can be arranged also. :P
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Good? Or should it be bad?)
A role-player, beware
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

It should be bad. It should be very, very bad.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I mean my crown) If it's good enough to use for the purpose mentioned - or, using the more precise and fitting word, bad enough
A role-player, beware
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Zorm wrote:Thanks for the donation, Deer. :hug: In the worst scenario, you're the only contestant and will get it back. XD
...such negativity. :roll:

Am I allowed to scold you for assuming that people don't like your ideas just because they haven't said anything yet?

I understand it even took the Bad Writing Contest awhile to get rolling!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Effaeldm wrote:I mean my crown) If it's good enough to use for the purpose mentioned - or, using the more precise and fitting word, bad enough
I'd think Zormy will make it being the contest starter. I'd also hope for a transparency or something. Bad look, but well done sort of thing.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Here's my entry.

From left to right: Covenant on Nom, The First on Myrha, a generic Haruchai, and the Monkey.

(I am sad that I had to cut off Tundro's face.)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

:haha: Excellent. I love how happy Quasimodo-Covenant is. Looks like he's going to burst into an august solo about the wonders of Notre Dame...er...Revelstone. Also good that The First got sort of shrunken in the wash, otherwise she'd certainly break the time-traveling horse's back.

Okay, folks, we have enough contest prize money now (1600 wgds!), so no requests for more. Thanks so much for the donations, everyone! :hug:

Eff: I think the crown should be much uglier, but in a more...how to put it...humoristic way?

I'll get back to the crown candidate thingy (+ transparency) once I get rid of this head cold. Too headachy to draw right now.

SRD will be so proud of us!
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

OMG I love it Wayfriend!!!!!!!! I am still laughing!!!

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I almost died laughing at these...

I am unsure how to express my horror at wayfriend's entry.

Especially the... well-weaponized "haruchai."
Wings? Really? That was the best, I think...
Glad you didn't forget the monkey. (?)
:lol:

dotd- I see you're playing to your audience, or rather, the judge.
Random attractive-looking man and woman on the cover... their appearance has NOTHING to do with the characters in the story. I approve of your bad-ness.
That "supposed to be" Foamfollower in the background?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Zorm wrote:Also good that The First got sort of shrunken in the wash
She only looks smaller because she's farther away!
Linna Heartlistener wrote:Glad you didn't forget the monkey.
Who can forget the monkey?! Oh yeah: deer of the dawn. How can her entry be accepted when it has no monkey? :P :P :P
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Linna Heartlistener wrote: dotd- I see you're playing to your audience, or rather, the judge.
Random attractive-looking man and woman on the cover... their appearance has NOTHING to do with the characters in the story. I approve of your bad-ness.
That "supposed to be" Foamfollower in the background?
"Random"? I take exception! That is THE Fabio, and didn't you think Linden could be drop-dead gorgeous?? :P

Sorry, I did forget to post who was whom, I guess I thought it obvious. Random Giant and random Ranyhyn in the background; Covenant and Linden in the foreground. The 2nd Chrons IS all about their romance, n'est-ce-pas?? :D
wayfriend wrote:Who can forget the monkey?! Oh yeah: deer of the dawn. How can her entry be accepted when it has no monkey?
First of all, where is that in the rules, and second of all, can't you see him clinging to the Ranyhyn's back?
Last edited by deer of the dawn on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I thought WF was going to be unbeatable but Fabio..."Don't touch me".... that's tough to beat. That was perfectly bad.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Another fine entry. :lol: It certainly doesn't need a monkey, as it already contains An Unnecessarily Rearing Stallion, and a flesh-and-blood Troll-Foamy which both contribute so much to the story in this particular book! And, of course TC must sport flowing, golden locks and a bedroom gaze, how else would the story sell millions???
wayfriend wrote:
Zorm wrote:Also good that The First got sort of shrunken in the wash
She only looks smaller because she's farther away!
So it's a kind of an inverted perspective, where objects moving nearer actually end up further away and tinier. According to this rule of thumb, how large is the Monkey?

EDIT: I'm going to split the prize money. Let's have the winner get 1000 and the second place 600, respectively.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

As an aside, to me, this cover was SO awful anyway. To think there was something worse!!

Return to “In Pursuit of Mallory”