Pantheon

Moderator: Xar

Xar
Lord

Pantheon

Post by Xar »

In the last few years, I've had a great chance - and privilege. Not only did a little game I created as a side idea become a source of entertainment for a lot of great, dedicated players, but indirectly helped in the fostering of Gravin Threndor as a game sub-forum within Kevin's Watch.

The latest iteration of Pantheon, P3, has been by far the most ambitious and - I think - the most creative and fascinating, thanks in no small part to the dedicated players who spent time and effort detailing the world through the actions of their characters - your characters.

Unfortunately life often gets in the way of ambitious undertakings, and between two moves, a new job, and the need to build a social circle from scratch, Pantheon ended up on the backburner for a long time. Too long, adn I owe every player an apology for not doing this sooner. A little part of me kept hoping that as long as I stalled, I would eventually be able to finish the game.

But this is unfair to you, the players, who invested so much time into it. It's been a long time since the last turn, and things have changed a lot since then. So it is with deep regret that I must admit I don't think P3 will continue (big surprise there, right?). I also must apologize to all of you - not just for not finishing the game, but also and most importantly for not saying this sooner. You all deserved far more than this.

A long time ago I mentioned I had plans for a Pantheon 4 which would be set in a brand new world. Although I cannot finish P3, I would still like to entertain the notion of a P4, perhaps with fewer players and a few other tweaks to make the game easier to referee in the long run. But I realize that this silence over P3 surely would cause most of you to doubt it would be worthwhile to enter a potential P4. Right now, I believe I would have the time for that kind of game - smaller in scope, especially at the beginning. But I would leave it to you all to decide whether I should seriously consider this or not. I think you all earned more than just a say in deciding whether the Pantheon series of games should continue at all, or not.

Either way, it has been a pleasure to play with all of you and to see the creativity you all shared. You have all been the heart and soul of every Pantheon iteration, and I hope that, despite the way P3 went in the end, you will have taken with you good memories from all the games we played.

Thank you!

-Pier Giorgio
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Grazie for the incredible setting of Eiran, AllFather. I, for one, will truly miss it.

And, while I hate trying to come up with new deities, please count me in for any iteration of Pantheon that comes along, whether on the Watch or should you decide to launch your own forum for it one day.

G-dspeed, Eiran...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

If you think you can manage running another game, I'd like to see it happen.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm in! :D I suspect a new game, with new setting and new tweaks, would be exciting for you, and get you back into the swing of things. And the beginning is easier to process, too. So get to it!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You know I'm in. I've been looking forward more to the beginning of P4 than the ending of P3.

I would humbly ask, however, if you could give us a very brief turn result (like two sentences), and maybe just a post telling us how you think it would have ended. Doesn't have to be in narrative form or anything.

But if not, that's cool.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I'm in, too! Any opportunity to play Pantheon again.
The King has one more move.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

As long as turns are completed in well under a year, I would be in too! ;)
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:I would humbly ask, however, if you could give us a very brief turn result (like two sentences), and maybe just a post telling us how you think it would have ended. Doesn't have to be in narrative form or anything.

But if not, that's cool.
heh.

Whereas I told AllFather in the messenger chat we had this afternoon which prompted this thread that maybe one day he will write a story about Eiran, much like he has done with his Twin Worlds setting.

Either/or works for me.
I suspect my tears will flow in either case...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Yeah, what Syl said, but with bells on. You owe us an ending, Xar! I want more than two sentences, I want at least two paragraphs! (if not a published book)

I'll never ever ever EVER forget Pantheon - thanks for the experience, the learning curve, the braincells that would have atrophied but haven't, the status (yeah, my geek friends were so jealous when I used to discuss it with them), the excitement, the wonderful anticipation.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All praises due to God on High. And by "God" I mean, of course, Xar.

I would like to have some kind of canonical end, though. If nothing else, it would give the rest of us a sandbox to write our own touching end-of-the-world stories in.

Yesterday was my last day of class ever. For the rest of my life. I'm suddenly finding myself with a bit of free time to get back to writing stories. Revisiting the Numen, even if only to properly applaud them off the stage, holds great appeal.

And, of course, I'll always play in any GT game that's running. That's the blessing and the curse of the GT purist.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn you Xar.

Yes, I'd be interested. For some reason. :D

--A
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I'm happy to see so much support for Pantheon 4! And I understand the need for an epilogue for P3, so I'll work on it in the next couple of weeks, hopefully having it ready for mid-July. After that, it's going to be time to dust off the framework I had for P4, work the kinks out, and start presenting the new stuff. I'll be around a bit more often, too.

Thanks everyone!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Xar wrote:And I understand the need for an epilogue for P3, so I'll work on it in the next couple of weeks, hopefully having it ready for mid-July.
Don't worry about that; we already sorted it out.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yee haa! The proverbial Allfather returns! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Murrin wrote:
Xar wrote:And I understand the need for an epilogue for P3, so I'll work on it in the next couple of weeks, hopefully having it ready for mid-July.
Don't worry about that; we already sorted it out.
But I would like to know if Madeva got the Dragon sliced-and-diced!! :D
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Read a couple of posts further down. :P
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Murrin wrote:
Creator wrote:
Murrin wrote: Don't worry about that; we already sorted it out.
But I would like to know if Madeva got the Dragon sliced-and-diced!! :D
Read a couple of posts further down. :P

bah.

I'll still wait for the "official" version.
(hope reigns eternal...)
...even if I am expecting heartbreak.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Richard Bach wrote:Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours.
--A
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

That's a great quote, Av
Good luck getting point across;
She's been told before...
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

yeah...yeah...yeah...

Return to “Pantheon”