Best First Chapter Ever!!!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Best First Chapter Ever!!!

Post by deer of the dawn »

I (finally) obtained and began reading AATE.

I. Was. Blown. Away. By chapter 1... I was worried about how Covenant would be portrayed, because at the end of FR he immediately seems to start bitching about what Linden did, but the description of him diminishing from the Arch of Time, from immortal/timeless/omniscient to mortal/frail/fractured in mind (like Anele?)... wow.

Anyway I am really excited and can't wait to set off with Linden and Covenant and this wonderfully mixed retinue of Giants, Ramen, Haruchai, Insequent, and whoever else tags along or shows up.

:banana:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

All I will say is this... I had a HARD time getting through FR. Before AATE came out, I reread each book, and STILL had a hard time finishing FR. However...

I absolutely FLEW through AATE! Even my wife noticed how quickly I devoured AATE. I think you will enjoy it too! Keep us posted.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

It just keeps getting better and better.
There's more history in the first few chapters than all the other books combined.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I appreciate how so many elements of the Chronicles are woven back in, and it all totally works.

soft one, I love your avatar. Our organization runs a kids' camp in the Adirondacks and the mud pit is a perennial favorite event.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

If you liked the first chapter of AATE, I anticipate that the second will find favor as well. Not to sound too much like Victor Kiam, but when it comes to chapter two "I liked the chapter so much, I did the dissection!"
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I agree, it's a fantastic chapter! I remember the first time I read it and there was a little voice saying, "WHOA!" the whole time. Brilliantly written!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's not my "best chapter ever". But it's certainly an achievement. That had to be very hard to write, and to juggle all of the factors involved, and to set the things in motion that need to be.

Probably The Banefire is my favorite. But you have to remember that The Banefire encompasses everything from "Nom" to "After a time, the blackness in him burned white."
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I agree-- probably one of the most memorable, kick-butt, finally!! chapters in the series, WF.

Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Now you are making me want to read these again, Deer. I was going to wait till vinter or spring so it was freshish when the new one comes out.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can

Return to “Against All Things Ending”