small suggestion

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

small suggestion

Post by lorin »

I think if a member is posting under several names it should be announced somewhere. I am not talking about the role playing names, but if it is a regular post I think we should know.

My reasons maybe exclusively my own issues so I will understand if it is ignored. I was a victim of a very big, very nasty internet hoax. I was manipulated financially but more important, I was manipulated emotionally. The incident is worthy of it's own post (someday) but suffice it to say, it took me many many years to recover. One thing that was discovered after the whole incident unraveled was that one person on the site was actually seven different 'people'.

After about 6 years staying off the internet I came here. I am only a member of this site. It took me a long time to trust people here and I do trust them. Especially after I met so many in Albuquerque and know they are flesh and blood.

But now I suspect there are a member or two posting under several names. I am not talking about our Haiku swordsmen, I am talking about others. And now they are playing on, or attempting to play on others emotions. All my self protection alarms are going off. I don't like feeling like I cannot trust this site.

Now I know this is my own stuff, I know I have to deal with it, but I think a simple thread announcing name changes is reasonable.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Well I changed mine yesterday after some consideration since the particular character name wasn't taken yet, but didn't even think it might or might not have some kind of repercussions. :oops: Still on my one and only account, after all; if I did something wrong you'll have to tell me, since I'm utterly clueless here. :?
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

What's
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

lorin
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Taiga Tzu
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Taiga Tzu »

talking
One wide forest of sentience and passion filled all the region - one mind and heart alive in every leaf and bough of every tree among the many myriad throngs and glory of the woods.Image
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

about?
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Plains of Ra
Land Mass

Post by Plains of Ra »

Beats
*neigh*
*winny*
*snort*
Hig
Stonedownor
Location: Likely under thefirst. (Not in a dirty way, though.)

Post by Hig »

**BOOM**
It hardly had size enough to contain so much might.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

:lol:
Hig wrote:**BOOM**
*bows respectfully* Would you by any chance have any comrades that might willingly bear a poor Swordmain with fatigued feet?

Svaðilfari, the beloved Ranyhyn companion of mine, fell down broken after these new hefty cataphracts were introduced to our battlegear. :( Stone and Sea, what a sore loss indeed. And now Linden Giantfriend makes us labor towards the End of the Earth too fast!
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

ah well.....never mind.
Last edited by lorin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's a good idea, but not, I think, enforceable.

However, if somebody is communicating with you specifically and you're worried about multiple identities, you can ask a mod who can look up their IP and usually tell you if they're also someone else. I would suggest a modicum of restraint, though, since it becomes an issue of their privacy as well.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

how long are we going to talk around the problem?

many of us suspect that babybottomfeeder is really lord foul.

lord foul claims to have quit here.

but lord foul is still allowed to be a mod.

bbf is obviously a troll, so if foul is bbf, then why let the modding continue?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
The Perfect One
Servant of the Land

Post by The Perfect One »

Even if it was already quite obvious, I admit I'm someone else as well, actually, I already did - "A role-player, think on that, and be dismayed!" appears to be pretty clear a hint. It's also a link to where I took the name from - a parody of a TCTC script, where the producers decide a leper and a rapist of a hero is not an option, so TC becomes the villain, named "The Leper", and LF the hero, named "The Perfect One".

And, to answer the question likely to arise out of this, no, I'm not the LF a watcher and a Hall Of Gifts mod, I actually decided to be more active with this after he left - the Watch has not to be left without Despite after all, :twisted: and the new people got to have a possibility to get a proper treatment of coming to the Land and getting a lovely greeting from the Despiser.

As for being flesh and blood - what can you do if I'm nonmaterial substance that existed before the beginning of time?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Lord Foul has a few alts, most of them rather obvious ones, but none of them are definitively BBF.

While there's a chance that the two are the same (believe me when I say that if the mods and admins knew this to be the case, things would be different), I personally don't think so.

Whatever the case may be, the old internet adage proves true: don't feed the trolls. Paying attention to one in any form, no matter how right or clever you think you are, only validates their existence.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

It was not my intention to point fingers at anyone, that was not the reason for my post. I just don't want to worry about or even care about someone that doesn't exist. I have done that before with disastrous outcome. I need to believe that the people on this site are real, that their problems are real, that their happiness is real. I don't want to be manipulated. I don't know if LF is BBF, I hope not, but it changes nothing. I care about LF, if this is his way of reaching out for help, so be it. Or maybe BBf is a real person expressing real concern. Do you see my point? I feel like I (and others ) are being dragged into a space that is unhealthy.

I was just hoping it could be done voluntarily, or that IP's can be checked if concern arises. Or maybe I just need a break. Breaks are good for perspective. (and to get caught up on some reading)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

A few points, lorin-

You can't be dragged into an e-space without your consent.

Whether bbf is an alter of Foul's or bbf is a different person who thinks Foul needs help, if you think Foul needs help, and you can figure out a way to help him, go for it.

It's definitely always a good time to catch up on your reading. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Fist and Faith wrote:A few points, lorin-

You can't be dragged into an e-space without your consent.

It's definitely always a good time to catch up on your reading. :D
Truer words never spoken. Time for some summer reading (or writing).
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

lorin wrote: I need to believe that the people on this site are real, that their problems are real, that their happiness is real.
id say 99% of the time this describes the Watch.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Probably.

The problem lorin's having, though, is in needing it to be so. The problem, lorin, is not whether or not they're being honest. I've wondered about this or that Watcher over the years, but I can't know, for certain, that they are this or that. But, really, it doesn't matter. As SRD said, "In reality as in dreams, what matters is the answer we find in our hearts to the test of despite." I feel and react the way I do to someone doing/saying X, whether that person actually is doing/saying X, or is just pretending to. Whether they're real or fake doesn't say anything about me. It only says something about them.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm with Lorin.
Multiple accounts shouldn't be allowed.

It ruins/stifles conversation and creates an atmosphere of distrust.

I don't trust anyone online anyway but multiple accounts just makes it worse.

I do see the irony though, complaining about lack of trust with a group of people that use fictitious names..... :D

I did create a Linden account a long time ago but that was just to be funny.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”