The OFFICIAL 2012 New England 'Fest Thread!

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

You will be missed, SdS, but aim for the official elohimfest in 2014, if this one doesn't work out. With luck, even if you are not in a work from home situation, by then you'll have enough time banked wherever you are working to take leave.

Perhaps you could make arrangements to travel with Lore and Sea...
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Thanks Menolly, but obviously you are not from the "I WANTS IT NOW!" generation ;)

Seriously though, you're right, I can aim for 2014, I was just all psyched up for this year and had also organized to meet some friends and I haven't had a proper holiday in SO long and and and.... ah well, I have food on the table (too much of it :D ) and reasonable health so I shall endeavor to be grateful and happy... right after I've finished throwing my tantrum :x
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:Thanks Menolly, but obviously you are not from the "I WANTS IT NOW!" generation ;)
<--- awaits the comment from a certain dread poet I just know is coming...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:I haven't definitely ruled out this trip, mostly because I was looking forward to it too much, but it isn't looking good. :cry:
NOOOOOO! :cry:

Well, damn. Like Menolly said, shoot for 2014 if you have to, if this year truly doesn't work out. Plus you'll get to meet SRD then.

<ali tries and fails to come up with a way that Sea, Lore and Shaun could all travel to the US together. Do sheep float? ;) >

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

aliantha wrote:Do sheep float? ;)
Put in enough ice cream and root beer, and they will.

How do I know?
I heard it on the ovine...
:P
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Savor Dam wrote:How do I know?
SD, that's SO bad. :D :P

However, the ice cream and root beer idea might have something to it. If I eat/drink enough of them, I could be my own flotation device. In fact, I could probably expand enough to transport Sea and Lore on my belly and backstroke my way to Cap Cod. Apparently it's only 8798 nautical miles. So long as one of the guys can keep the map dry and navigate, and we leave now, we should be there by October.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Savor Dam wrote:
aliantha wrote:Do sheep float? ;)
Put in enough ice cream and root beer, and they will.

How do I know?
:P
ARRGH!

;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Sorry to hear it, Shaun. Stupid soft job market.

Hey guys ... do you think we can at some point during the NEFest set up some sort of all-inclusive world-spanning video chat thingy maybe?
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Ok guys, hate to do this but I have some major life things going on right now an a lot of my life is in a major limbo/transition and decision making which may or may not affect my ability to be at the fest. Therefore I think you guys should plan it without me or Paul's house and at this point I'll try to make it. However, not knowing where I might be living next week or next month has taken me out of the stable realm of planners.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Ok guys, hate to do this but I have some major life things going on right now an a lot of my life is in a major limbo/transition and decision making which may or may not affect my ability to be at the fest. Therefore I think you guys should plan it without me or Paul's house and at this point I'll try to make it. However, not knowing where I might be living next week or next month has taken me out of the stable realm of planners.
Well, for starters: |G You do what you need to do.

For the rest of us: Um, I guess we need to talk about alternatives....

EZ Board Survivor

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Oh no! Jenn!
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Ok guys, hate to do this but I have some major life things going on right now an a lot of my life is in a major limbo/transition and decision making which may or may not affect my ability to be at the fest. Therefore I think you guys should plan it without me or Paul's house and at this point I'll try to make it. However, not knowing where I might be living next week or next month has taken me out of the stable realm of planners.
I hope you are ok and I hope things work out for you and you can still make an appearance. Life turns on a dime, doesn't it?
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

more out than in and not very happy about it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Should we rethink the Cape? I'm concerned that renting a place ourselves might require more commitment and organization than this group can muster (myself included!). Maybe a hotel in or near Boston would be better....

EZ Board Survivor

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'd be happy to handle renting a place if people still want to.

I've been reticent to jump on making alternative plans because I know Jenn will be okay and everything will be fine. And we still have some time.

We can go the hotel route but I know that a bunch of people were counting on accommodations not being an expense. If we get an off-season house which sleeps eight (or sixteen!) that might be next best as good.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm OK with Boston.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:I'd be happy to handle renting a place if people still want to.

I've been reticent to jump on making alternative plans because I know Jenn will be okay and everything will be fine. And we still have some time.

We can go the hotel route but I know that a bunch of people were counting on accommodations not being an expense. If we get an off-season house which sleeps eight (or sixteen!) that might be next best as good.
Yeah -- I've said before that free is my favorite price. 8)

WF, would there be any penalty if we reserve a house as a backup and have to cancel at the last minute? Just in case Jenn's schedule doesn't clear soon enough for us. Will we need a deposit? Etc. I've never rented a beach house so I don't know the logistics.

EZ Board Survivor

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'll look into it. It's the kind of question you need to pick a specific house and ask a specific manager what they will offer.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Thanks for looking into this, WF!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Off season cape rentals can be dirt freaking cheap and way less than a hotel in Boston, we are talking housing ten for even as low as $400 so forty bucks a head for a week. Weekend stuff is probably even cheaper as they don't expect to rent off season. I'm not ruled out entirely, I just need to get some things straight before I can commit.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”