Favorite Goose bump & LOL moments across all of SRD's wo

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

doma
Servant of the Land

Favorite Goose bump & LOL moments across all of SRD's wo

Post by doma »

Was at work, started thinking about some favorite SRD writings, and decided to visit Kevin's Watch.

I was thinking a bit about what my favorite goose bump inducing scenes were across the whole of Donaldson's works.

Some of my favorite:

TC:
- In the first book where the UrViles start to eat the wraiths in the celebration of spring. *creepy*
- The scene where TC, Elena, and crew ride the boat out over the lake under the mountain. Touching the water will suck you under. *scary*
- That final scene in Against all things Ending:
Spoiler
When the tidal wave is coming and the horses attack Joan.
Oh man, what a situation!
- The Illearth war's story of the lords in the swamp and how the acid children were closing in on them. I remember running for the light switch during a late night reading!
- When that giant-raver incinerated the bones of a haruchai (sp?) then proceeded to stomp up and down on his remains. *freaky!*
- When TC said the name of the Sand Gorgon. *goosebumps*

The Gap: When the Dragon is trying to escape at the end, waiting for his data transfer to finish, when Thermopile (sp?) steps up behind him. Oooh yeah!

Mordant's Need: When riders are approaching the castle and somebody mirrors in some beasties that are mostly teeth and claws and they start chewing up the riders. *shudder*

Favorite LOLs:
- When, in Mordant's Need, they mirror in some space fighter who proceeds to blast a hole in the side of the castle with his ray gun.
- When my wife got so annoyed with TC book 1 she refused to call Foamfollower anything but 'FoamSwallower' during our attempt to read through it out loud (she stopped after book 1).
- When, in Mordant's Need, Adept Havlock (sp?) smashed the chess set and yelled 'Chess pieces are only men!' or something like that.

It's been a long time since I read his short stories (Daughter of Regals, The Killing Stroke, Reave the Just (sp?) that I can't remember those stories well. Maybe it's time for a re-reading of them.

Most depressing scene:
I think the story TC tells of the man in the airplane lavatory who cut his wrists, then later decided he wanted to live. Lacking strength by then to stand and open the door, he broke his fingers trying to crawl under the door for help. Nuts.

Best Name:
"Captain Sheepf*cker". LOL

Oh well, back to work.
Any other all-time favorite Goose-Bump, LOL, or depressing scenes across SRD's works??

-dom

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”