The Grand Reread!!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

The Grand Reread!!

Post by deer of the dawn »

Zarathustra wrote:Is it time to start contemplating the Grand Re-read? 10 books will take me forever to get through. I read slow, and in little snippets of time each day. At this point, we have 16-18 months left? When is TLD coming out? Anyway, that's less than two months per book, which is pushing it for me.

Ki (my wife, for you newbies out there) will be reading the Chronicles for the very first time, so it's exciting on a personal level. She loved The Gap, so I'm eager to see what she thinks of this.

[I just noticed that I was thinking of this almost two years to the day in 2010. Something about the summer just makes me think of reading projects, I suppose.]
I just started. There have been rumors here that TLD may be delayed some months, but even so, a year to read the Chrons is okay. (It may kill my 50 books in 50 weeks endeavor, though. :P )

Only read the first two chapters of LFB: surprisingly familiar and surprisingly fresh, at the same time.

Anybody else?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

When is the new book due for release?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Ananda wrote:When is the new book due for release?
Recent speculation on Donaldson's part is that it is still on course for release in fall 2013. Most of this depends on a couple things:

1) If his agent thinks the second draft is good enough to send to publishers

2) What the publishers think of this and subsequent drafts (they'll probably be fine with them)

3) And most importantly, how many times does Donaldson want to re-write it? Normally, there would be one more re-write, but this is the volume that has scared him the most. He may want to do more re-writes. Or he may want to be done with it.

In either case, with his insane work ethic, I expect it to be released in October 2013.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Thanks, Orlion. Guess I will reread starting next summer.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I will probably reread just the Last Chronicles heading into this. I may feel like a full Chronicles reread, but I worry about rereading too much and getting overexposed.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I understand the overexposure potential, but I will probably undertake at least a reread of the Second Chronicles as well as the first three volumes of the Last Chrons.

Having now digested everything leading up to TLD, I want to comb the 2nd Chrons one more time for any hooks SRD buried that we may have overlooked. I know he will surprise us next fall...but I want to be as ready as I can be.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It's been 7 years since I read the 1st and 2nd Chronicles. And that was only my 3rd time reading them. The first two times were when I was a teenager. So I'm looking forward to it. I believe I'll start as soon I finish the current book I'm reading. I've only got about 100 pages left.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I am also planning to start from the beginning as soon as I've finished my current book. Very much looking forward to it!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

It'd been many years since I read the First Chronicles, when I re-read them recently there were so many scenes that I'd forgotten, details that had fallen from memory, it was incredible to read them again.
On the internet, no one can see your evil smirk.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

It is!! The emotional impact is, if anything, more than my first reading which was mostly "Woooooooow". I think I've read the 1st and 2nd twice through after that, but no danger of overexposure for me, yet.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Re-started LFB about 2 years ago.
Got to Foamfollower getting Covenant to Revelstone. :lol:

Picked up from there a couple months ago and finished it... started TIW, then stopped maybe a third of the way through.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I've begun my reread. I'm several chapters into LFB, but I've backtracked a little to put down some thoughts in the dissection forum, if anyone is interested. I intend to keep this up throughout my reread, but I have no idea how firm my resolve will be. If I have nothing new to add, I'll probably remain silent. But something interesting occurred to me regarding all the references to "boy" in the first chapter, so I found that I had something new to say after all these years.

Anyone else starting up?
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

I'm on it too (2nd), TC has just been hurtloamed by Lena.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm 1/3 through TWL.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I'm halfway through TIW. Have TONS of work to do, a lot of it involving reading, so I'm reading only a couple chapters a week.

Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

I do it by parts and in no particular order, perhaps I may try out the proper way.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I hate to say it: I'm bored with LFB. I've started a new book (Clockwork Angels). I intend to get back to it, because I really love TIW, but damn this first book is a chore.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

My plan is to do no special preparation before TLD comes out. When it is released, I will devour it immediately. Only then will I go back and begin a grand re-read.

I just feel that waiting to do the grand re-read will be all the more enjoyable once I know the end of the entire saga.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The Illearth War is so much better than Lord Foul's Bane. I'm only a quarter of the way through, but I've been enjoying it more right from the start. The addition of Hile Troy and Elena really improves the depth of character interactions. And Mhoram is a much better character this time around. I do miss Foamy, however.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

The nice part is, of course, that he shows up again. :)

Finished the 1st Chrons a couple weeks ago. Going to save the 2nd for probably Christmas break.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”