Mirrors in actual dreams

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Mirrors in actual dreams

Post by Lord Foul »

An interesting fact I didn't see posted here yet. It's a most widespread thing that if a person looks into a mirror inside a dream, the reflection won't be an actual reflection, it will be distorted or even showing something different altogether. People are also often able to walk through such a mirror in a dream and end up in some different place.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I don't think I've ever encountered a mirror in a dream. I did emerge from a mirror the one and only time I ever experienced astral projection, but that's another story...
fall far and well Pilots!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hmmm...I don't recall a mirror ever even being PRESENT in any of my dreams [off the top of my head..] and never noticed there weren't any till you mentioned it...but I'm gonna try and dream about one now.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

never noticed a mirror in my dreams. but i will be looking for one now.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

could be something to do with the spectrum in physics and black not actually being a color - we dream in the dark so no light can reflect an image maybe...

does black occur in nature?
black birds, black beetles, the black rose...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Krazy Kat wrote:could be something to do with the spectrum in physics and black not actually being a color - we dream in the dark so no light can reflect an image maybe...

does black occur in nature?
black birds, black beetles, the black rose...
hmmm...
[vraith is processing...a little hourglass is spinning, taking up processor space that could be used in processing]....
True black does exist in nature...but we cannot see it. Literally.
All those things you mention can be described by those people with good color-eyes as "blue black" or "green black" or "red black"

I suspect we don't often generate mirrors in dreams because what dreams are FOR rarely involves mirrors, and things that involve "reflection" are externalized in dreams...much like SRD and others on externalizing internal things [a number of psycho-dream folk say many of the beings we meet in dreams are our own parts represented].

I've been trying occasionally since the time I said I would to dream a mirror. I managed to invoke one a couple times...but never one I could look into...always in possession or reflection of others.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Maybe the faces we see in dreams are a safer way to reflect our own thoughts. We therefore transpose whatever needs to be said to oneself onto the other person. The mirror might be pychologically dangerous. Like how Covenant, Linden, and Terissa, can be badly harmed inside their fantasy landscapes.

Many many years ago, I had a series of three dreams.
The first dream, I was in an old school with many rooms and desks. I wandered in a maze. A character that reminded me of Gormenghast's Steerpike, (superimposed=) Flay, guided me through the maze, out the front door, to the gates.
His clothes were old, stained with ash, like his hair.

The second dream, I was in town. In the next street beyond my sight was a terrifying commotion. Something bad was happening and I was being drawn towards a conjunction, no matter how I tried to steer away from it. My guide keep me on the opposite side of the street. Like a reflection. And I never witnessed the The Passion taking place.

The third dream, I was close to where I lived, waiting for a bus. The Steerpike character walked past. Only this time his clothes were not old and instead of ash stains he was dusted with starlight.
I decided to skip the bus trip and go home. Thinking it would be strange to see myself lying in bed asleep, I began to run. Crossing the street to where I lived I stepped onto a pool of white paint. As I looked closer I realised it was not paint but dazzling white light. When I tried to see the source of the light, I was lifted up off the ground and rose into the air.
This woke me up.

Why can't we see ourself in dream?
I suspect the dream experience is deeply spiritual in it's nature.
To see ourself we would need to release the spiritual from the physical.
Astral travellers can do this. But that's a disciplened practice. Atrancedence!
Maybe in the dream there is in actuality, nothing to see.

In the movie - Donnie Darko - when he and his friend had a class project to invent something, (dreamtime educational tapes for babies), his teacher
said that it might not be a good idea. That maybe babies needed complete darkness to have total rest. Something adults don't get as often as they would like.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: Mirrors in actual dreams

Post by Cord Hurn »

Lord Foul wrote:An interesting fact I didn't see posted here yet. It's a most widespread thing that if a person looks into a mirror inside a dream, the reflection won't be an actual reflection, it will be distorted or even showing something different altogether. People are also often able to walk through such a mirror in a dream and end up in some different place.

The only time I recall every dreaming of a mirror, I experienced this exact same thing. I wonder what it means?

Return to “Mordant's Need”