Heart of God - Work in Progress: Feedback Wanted

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Murrin wrote:I am, alas, still stuck feeling like an idiot about this particular problem:
[And we shall call this land... this land. Rawr.]
It works for us Americans more than the rest of you, I suppose.
This land is your land
This land is my land
This land was made for you and me
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

It also works for anybody who loves Firefly.

Gawd, Fist... it's like you have no nerd cred at all. Jeesh.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Menolly wrote:As a means of communicating and getting around, could a wanna-be g-d appear in portraits, and be able to move around between portraits that are near each other, or between portraits that show the same scene in extremely remote locations? But not have it be the permanent physical form?

Sort of a means of being able to communicate with followers without having to stay in one form.
Well sure - as the rules should make clear, you can appear pretty much however you want to your followers. You'd still only be able to perform one direct action per turn, but if you wanted to go and write some long narrative of how you run around between pictures giving your Commands you're free to do so...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Murrin wrote:but if you wanted to go and write some long narrative of how you run around between pictures giving your Commands you're free to do so...
Ooo...
Permission to write long narratives.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Of course, that doesn't mean you have to include them in your turn submission. :P
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Menolly's playing a game where conflict will be the norm??
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hmm, conflict. Another issue I might need to resolve, in case it turns out to be too easy to lose the game, collectively.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:Menolly's playing a game where conflict will be the norm??
At this point, I'm planning on being an "active" lurker, like I was for 1.66 of Pantheon games, if Murrin allows...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

What the heck is an "'active' lurker"? Sounds like a participating spectator. Can't do both. By definition, I'd think that, if you're posting, you're not lurking. You're playing.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

If you'll recall, until about two thirds of the way in to the second age of Pantheon, I was not a player, but I commented on what was public, and gave feedback on the development of the first age of Pantheon while Xar was discussing how to run it on the forum. It was my suggestion the game be played in The Close instead of Mallory's, before GT was created for Pantheon.

...and a certain deity in the first age resonated with me, so I did what I could behind the scenes to support said character.

That's what I mean by active lurking. As far as I know, Xar never had a problem with me doing so; although he welcomed me as a player when I did finally give it a go in the second age...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I'd call that an active lurker. But posting as a god appearing in portraits, etc, seems more.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh true.

That was just me asking for clarification on how the rules should work. I did say I would "most likely" lurk, I think. So far, Murrin has used the term "conflict," but it sounds more like "competition" to attain a goal. Depending on how he resolves the "conflict" issue, I may choose differently.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, I do expect conflict. It's probably possible to win the game without it - if you rely on multiple opponents being incompetent at raising their own Faith.

The problem I mentioned is whether it should be possible to kill off so much of the population that noone can beat the final defences. I was avoiding coming out and saying that unequivocally, because I was hoping not to have to influence the players too much regarding fighting and killing.

Anyhoo, back to the subject of the rules. Does anyone have feedback on the actions, still? Is Direct action too confusing?

For the rest, I'm still looking for people to point out if there's something not covered in the rules that you think should be, or if there's some glaring problem that could cause issues.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I still think the athiests should be their own faction. But other than that, I find no holes in the fules.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I'm hardly the best expert, the rules look good to me, well, I'd rather have a bit more freedom, particularly to be at least remotely able to have alliances to last till the end, perhaps with someone winning alone and taking the Heart and the other becoming some kind of lesser divine power beside that one, but that's my personal opinion.

The possibility of the loss for everyone can be taken care of in several ways. You, as the GM, may manually adjust either the conditions for the players or the ones required if you see otherwise everyone loses - after all this is not a computer game where everything is normally set in stone. But i gather you want to do it exactly like that, right? Also adjustment f the rules to win can be built into the premise, the defences going lower in some condition, for instance, a serious decrease of population in the world. Less believers - less Faith barriers.

One more way is to decrease the particularly violent parts of the competition, also several things possible, and may be combined. And maybe Menolly will be more eager to join then) The charaters may be given the knowledge, in a similar way they felt the Heart, that if they pursue wars and kill off enough people, they may make the Heart essentially unreachable. And having many ways to compete without an outright war can help avoiding it.

Also, depending on the time between turns, the population may grow, giving the chance to restore.

As for "this land", I'm quite fine with that) But if you really want something that sounds like a name for some country, world or whatever, there's an overload of name generators for this purpose, including specific ones for territory-naming. There's also Google Translate (and actual dictionaries), you can translate some fitting word into different languages until you end up with something interesting, though be careful. For instance, "heart" in Japanese is "Shinzō", I can already imagine "schizo" as the first thing popping up when trying to remember that)
A role-player, beware
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, I already have it in mind to adjust on the fly, because I'm not sure exactly how things will actually play out. I'm not really trying to have rigid rules set in place; what few things I have defined specifically, and the places where I'm using pure random chance, are there to help me and to help prevent unconscious GM bias.

As for flexibility in how to play, I've tried to avoid putting any kinds of limits on what you can choose to do, and how you choose to do it. As for your particular scenario - you're going to be the almighty God, capable of anything. Who says you can't keep such a promise in some way if you choose to? (Have to wonder what kind of idol would choose to, though.)

I'm starting to feel pretty confident about just running it as it is. I need to finish the map and flesh out some of the later defenses before it's ready, though.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds good to me Murrin. I'm gonna bow out though...I have enough problems managing with the two I'm already playing...I can't honestly commit to a 3rd.

--A
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Gawd, Fist... it's like you have no nerd cred at all. Jeesh.
LOL!!!!

I'm a little confused on our forms. Would you please elaborate?

Secondly, would you have a problem if I used Jove? It's getting difficult to come up with new characters, heheh.
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Your form is pretty much up to you! I'm not trying to define it at all. You (the idol) are what your people expect you to be, and you (the player) are the one creating that.

The only thing I want my rules affecting is the power system and how you can apply it, really. I've gone out of my way to leave the game flexible like Pantheon, except for the limit in number of actions.

I have no problem with people reusing existing characters.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Cool. Thanks.
The King has one more move.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”