Post by Goatkiller666 »

Sounds Scottish.

"Aye, I ken."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Menolly wrote:ken, moreh.
*nod*

But cain works well for a vampiric game, especially for a yiddish speaker, nu?
I suppose, maybe something like an Igor saying "Yesss." Though in Yiddish, it's ye.

Y'know what the difference is between a Scott and Mick Jagger, Goat?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Scots are worthy of praise sometimes?
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Post by Seska Karantanija »

I dunno, but I bet it involves a word I can't repeat here if a Scot is involved.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Mick Jagger says, "Hey, you, get offa my cloud." The Scot says, "Hey, MacLeod, get offa my ewe."
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:
Menolly wrote:ken, moreh.
*nod*

But cain works well for a vampiric game, especially for a yiddish speaker, nu?
I suppose, maybe something like an Igor saying "Yesss." Though in Yiddish, it's ye.
Yes, but this particular Yiddish speaker is also (supposedly) fluent in Hebrew. So with the eastern European accent, ken could morph into cain..?

Ashkenazi versus sephardi pronunciation, perhaps?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*shrug* One of my instructors was about as close to the stereotypical Ashkenazi Jew as you're likely to find, and he didn't. It may be possible, but... well, Cain is a Hebrew name and it has an entirely different spelling than ken (ken is spelled with a kaf, Cain is spelled with a kuf and has a yod before the nun).
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Did your instructor say shabbes instead of shabbat, adanai instead of adonoy, etc.? One can be ashkenazi, but be using sephardi pronunciation, since that is now the Israeli standard, yes?
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:Cain... has a yod before the nun).
Why does that sound dirty?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Perhaps because you have no idea what it means? ;)
Makes perfect sense to me.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I'm pretty sure I know what it means to me.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is pretty dirty.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It just occurred to me that Goat has user items. Which are found in the Store. Stores that are not found in GT.

BAM!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Moreover, he has a Foul Duck. And likely doesn't even know the implications)

But actually, if I'm not mistaken, he pronounced himself a GT vegetarian once, as opposed to a vegan. Even voted for the Watchies.

By the way, Goat, did you mention them this year? I have a link in my sig. The voting is still open.
A role-player, beware
Katrina
Giantfriend

Post by Katrina »

Fist and Faith wrote:It just occurred to me that Goat has user items. Which are found in the Store. Stores that are not found in GT.

BAM!
You can gift items.

UNBAMMED!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Anything accessible via the links under the banner (like Profile, etc.) aren't forum pages, they're administration. That includes the store.

I received the Foul Duck as a gift, because I wanted the full set of ducks, and there wer e none in the store at the time. I don't know what it means, other than that I have a collection of messed up rubber duckies. Including the glow-in-the-dark zombie duck, the ninja duck, and the pirate duck. There's also a BDSM duck with a ball gag in his mouth, which is also a fully functional (and totally waterproof) vibrator. Ore-Sama tells me that I'm kind of creepy for wanting her to actually use it. So, for now, it just sits on the mantle with the rest of the ducks.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Also, a few years ago, I declared the Watchie nomination threads for GT specific categories to be also part of GT, even if the threads themselves were mis-filed to other areas. They're 100% about GT stuff, so they qualify. Since GT people are always so respectful and awesome, there's never to my knowledge been a situation where a mod was needed. My title is entirely honorary.

Respectful and awesome as players. In-character, many of us are ginormous assholes. But that's totally reasonable, I think.

Especially Fist. His characters are really annoying.

But, I guess I should go promote the GT Watchies this year, since we bothered to have them and all. What was going on in 2010-2011? Rogue Trader and Acro 1.0 had some really amazing stuff going on. Some of Stone's storylines in RT made me shiver.

And, of course, I think the most recent Pantheon turn happened back then, so it's still a viable candidate. Is there a category for longest turn cycle ever? (Sorry Xar, I had to go there. You know it's only out of love, though.)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The Sheriff has declared that these Watchies shall encompass both 2010 and 2011. However, they will compete against each other, instead of in separate year categories.

Be certain to double check dates of posts/threads/games you wish to nominate, as one not posted in those two years will be disqualified.
(so sayeth the second Watchy mod)
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

My goal now is to take Watchy thread that weren't specifically GT, and make them be about GT. I already threw a nomination for Xar in there... I will find others.

Increase the GT Hegemony!

Return to “Gravin Threndor”