Cail's big honking Rush thread

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

That line of reasoning seems flawed, seeing that Rush has disbanded too.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dANdeLION wrote:That line of reasoning seems flawed, seeing that Rush has disbanded too.
But rush disbanded recently. The Cars broke up in 1986 and most of the other bands that were my favorite have long since disappeared or their members have died off.

Plus it's not out of the question that rush may record again in the future even if they never tour again.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Rush has been my favorite band since about 1987. It was Van Halen in middle school, then Rush in high school. I've gotten into a lot of different music since then, but nothing has ever replaced Rush in the top spot. Discovering their entire back catalog in 1987 was jaw dropping, especially Exit Stage Left. Every new album since then has been a bit of a let down (but still good), until Vapor Trails, S&A, and their masterpiece Clockwork Angels. Hell, I even like Feedback.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Rush became my favorite band when 2112 came out - I was a junior in high school. A friend of mine loaned me his 8-track of 2112 ("You gotta hear this first song!"). I loved it. Immediately drove to the store and bought a copy for myself, along with their first two albums which were boxed together in a 2-for-1 sale.

Loved them ever since. I've seen them live maybe 10 times, including opening night on the R40 tour.

Awesome band! I hate that they aren't going to tour anymore, but I know how I feel at my age... I couldn't imagine trying to play a world tour, and the guys in Rush are a few years older than me. They've earned the right to retire and enjoy life :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ged and Alex inducted Yes in the RRHOF Friday night. Lots of videos can be found online, but here's Roundabout with Ged on bass:

https://vid.me/Zdfc
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ged's tone is too deep for that song. He should have used a Rick.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I saw another video where Geddy says that the fender jazz had the best tone for him.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The Fender Jazz has an amazing tone. I've got one, too, including the same strings that Ged uses. However, he doesn't sound like Chris Squire, and this is especially true on an iconic bass-forward song like Roundabout. Part of the problem is that Squire plays with a pick, which brightens up your tone with nice sharp attack. Geddy does play aggressively, and often uses a "flamenco" style where he's flicking the strings with his fingernails--which gets you closer to a pick sound than playing traditionally with your fingers--but this just sounded muddy to me.

I actually dislike the Rickenbaker sound, but it fits better with acoustic guitar.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

This is the new Spielberg move that is due out in 2018. It has a familiar tune. ;)

https://youtu.be/VE71JOvLPvE
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

dlbpharmd wrote:This is the new Spielberg move that is due out in 2018. It has a familiar tune. ;)

https://youtu.be/VE71JOvLPvE
It's amazing how fitting a song from 1980 can seem in a science fiction setting for 2045. It still sounds 'futuristic' today.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ha! I posted that on the Cygnus FB page but forgot to post it here.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That's a shame, but not really a surprise. :(

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Another review from the Lost in Vegas guys.

I'm not a fan of WM, but I really enjoy their reviews.

https://youtu.be/Z9rVfyOhtYE
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

My eldest and I are going to meet Geddy Lee this coming Saturday at a book signing event in Atlanta. Will post pics after.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I was going to see him in Nashville last Sunday, but I thought it was a rip off to charge people 100 dollars to get your $47 book signed. A book signing should promote sales of a book, not profit off of people wanting to see you. I have given rush thousands of dollars. I was not going to spend money to have an awkward few seconds with him face to face.

Have you given any thought to what you want him to sign? I recommend, 'to a long awaited friend.'

:D

And if you need something to chit chat about, ask him why Neil is such a big pussy, and remind him that drummers are easily the most replaceable members of any band. Hell we don't even need lyrics, an album of instrumentals will be just fine!

[Edit: on FB, a guy in line posted pics and estimated that 2000 people had shown up! That's $200,000 Geddy made from ONE APPEARANCE, sitting there for a couple hours signing and chit chatting. Not counting how much he made off his $47 dollar book! 8O He doesn't need to sell very many books to make millions off this.

I looked for his book at my local Barnes and Nobles . . . didn't have it. Nor the 1st SRD book in his latest series (whatever it's called), nor any David Deutsche books. They are just begging for Amazon to bitch slap them into oblivion.]
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Zarathustra wrote:[Edit: on FB, a guy in line posted pics and estimated that 2000 people had shown up! That's $200,000 Geddy made from ONE APPEARANCE, sitting there for a couple hours signing and chit chatting. Not counting how much he made off his $47 dollar book! 8O He doesn't need to sell very many books to make millions off this.
not likely. that's how much he made for his management company, his publishers and their distributers, etc so on and so forth. i'm thinkin his cut was a small fraction of that. just sayin. he is a product for all those other people.
his product is the book but again, he makes only a fraction of the gross.

and let me point out also that my guess is that guys like geddy lee and todd rundgren (who I recently did a meet and greet with) are doing these meet and greet things and writing books, etc because their fan base no longer spends the kind of money they need to keep them in the studios and selling records and big giganto venues. (not that todd EVER played big giganto venues but you know what i'm saying)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sad news today. Apparently Neil died 3 days ago, but the family and Rush announced the news today. Good for them. Maybe they were able to lay him to rest without paparazzi.

Many years ago in this forum, someone started a thread entitled something like "artists you don't get." And while I don't remember every thing I posted in response, one of them was Rush.

I had MP on cassette back in the day, and I liked it. But as the group went more towards keyboards, and I went more towards hard rock and heavy metal, I never bought anything else from them. And so whenever someone would mention something about Rush, my response would be something like "I don't like to hear that guy sing, it's too screechy."

Then several years ago, Cail started this thread, and I followed along, and I learned. I watched "Beyond the Lighted Stage." I listened to "Subdivisions" for the first time, and I thought how did I not know about this song back then? It's written about me! I started watching videos on YouTube. And the more I learned and watched and listened, I began to understand at last.

I listen to Rush all the time now, not necessarily every album or every song, but their music is part of my daily earworms.

I took my oldest daughter to see R40, May 28th, 2015. She was only 13 years old at the time. It was one of the best nights I've ever experienced. She was a bit overwhelmed by the drunk guys in front of us, and she didn't know the lyrics then as well as now. I wish that I understood Rush earlier in my life and had seen them in concert more than just the one time. But that will be enough.

The reports say that Neil was diagnosed with brain cancer 3-1/2 years ago. That would be about the first half of 2016. Amazing job keeping that secret. I can't help but wonder what Geddy and Alex are thinking tonight. I'm glad he retired and spent his last years with his family.

RIP Neil. Thanks.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

dlbpharmd wrote: The reports say that Neil was diagnosed with brain cancer 3-1/2 years ago. That would be about the first half of 2016. Amazing job keeping that secret. I can't help but wonder what Geddy and Alex are thinking tonight. I'm glad he retired and spent his last years with his family.

RIP Neil. Thanks.
That must have been right after he retired. Damn. He deserved more time to enjoy his retirement.

I read a random post on an AOL forum (back in the early 90s) that quoted some lyrics from Grace Under Pressure. Bought the cassette on a whim, and was immediately hooked. Saw them live for the first time in 2002 (still have the keychain I bought at the concert), and probably half a dozen times since. I regret that I did not see R40. I hoped there might be a reunion tour at some point. No chance of that now.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Return to “Vespers”