Cail's big honking Rush thread

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The R40 blu-ray is out, and Ged's voice is really bad. I guess they should've recorded it closer to the beginning of the tour.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That's a shame. I will probably buy it anyway.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sorus wrote:That's a shame. I will probably buy it anyway.
Well, of course.

I'll buy it. I'll whine about it. And I'll listen to it non-stop when I have a cocktail or two in me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Those of you who hadn't seen Rush before this last tour and made sure to do so in 2015 (e.g., dlbpharmd, sgt. null)--you were wise to do so! :thumbsup:

Rush drummer Neil Peart announces his retirement from the band:

www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music ... -1.2457881

ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-peart-retirement-confirmation/

loudwire.com/rush-neil-peart-suggests-retired/

www.contactmusic.com/neil-peart/news/ru ... er_5058178

www.billboard.com/articles/news/6786020 ... art-retire
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

All good things must come to an end. Very glad that I've seen them a lot over the past few years, and very glad that they left on such a high note.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I was hoping for 1 more album and maybe a few shows here and there.

I bet no one is more disappointed than Alex and Ged.

I am thankful that I saw them live. I'm thankful that I took my 14 year old daughter on the trip. It was a special night and something the 2 of us will share for the rest of our lives.

And, I'm thankful for this thread and for everyone who contributed to it. I'm glad that I came to realize what I'd been missing out on for all those years, and saw Rush live before it was too late.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm sorry I didn't get to see the final tour, though I am lucky that I have seen them live a few times.

(And I haven't given up hope that there will be a reunion of some sort somewhere down the road.)

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sorus wrote:(And I haven't given up hope that there will be a reunion of some sort somewhere down the road.)
The band hasn't released any official statement yet, so the possibility remains that Alex and Geddy will talk Neil into reconsidering.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I think it's possible that they might still record, just not tour. We may get another album yet.

The R40 Blu-ray is really good. Yes, Ged's voice is bad, but not nearly as bad as the last live recording (CA). I was pleasantly surprised. Also, the sound quality in general for the instruments is very good. It hasn't sounded this good since the S&A disc. I think the drums and bass may even sound better than that recording, though the guitar isn't as good. While the hi-res surround sound is impressive, it's not nearly as good as the hi-res stereo, but this is usually the case for most music.

I love this set list. Epic. I really wish they'd extended the tour like they did in 2008-9 so I could have seen it. It really sucks that I haven't missed a Rush tour (since I started in 1990) until now, and this was the last. Bummer.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yeah, I was really surprised they didn't do a second leg like they have the past two or three tours.

I hope they record more. I hope they continue to tour on a limited basis. I don't care to contemplate a world without an active Rush.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Cail wrote: I don't care to contemplate a world without an active Rush.

This. They've earned a break, but artists don't stop creating.

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

wow. I just went and thanked Julie for taking me to see them. it was an epic show, one I will always remember.

I have been listening to them since HS. times like these I feel older than I really am.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I'm going to try to see that Rush movie on November 3rd, so thank you for that information, DLB!!! :thumbs up: :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cord Hurn wrote:
I'm going to try to see that Rush movie on November 3rd, so thank you for that information, DLB!!! :thumbs up: :)
Did you go to see this? My daughter and I went and had a great time. It's a wonderful rockumentary that any Rush fan will enjoy. There was a good turnout at the theater in Knoxville, many people wearing Rush shirts, cheering, laughing, clapping, even crying sometimes. The blu-ray comes out on Nov. 18th.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Yes, I did go to see this movie last night! Thanks for letting me know about it, DLB!! I enjoyed the cartoon about Neil Peart growing up, and the testimonials on Rush's behalf by Chad Smith, the Wilson sisters, Scott Gorham, Gene Simmons, and the like. The main movie was informative, funny in places, and touching, and I felt a camaraderie with the people on the screen. The movie was showing in three theaters in Tucson, and the theater I and a friend went to had about 30-35 people show up for the movie. It might have been a rather obvious thing to do, but I wore my Rush concert tee shirt to the showing. I'm happy to have went! :D 8)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

It felt like a farewell movie for the fans, but it felt like a fond farewell, and I appreciated seeing it.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I've seen most of the Blu-ray. The Presto tour stuff makes me long for when Ged could sing. That was my first Rush tour. It's personally fitting that that's what they included as extras.

I get sick of hearing Neil whine about how awful it is to be the drummer of Rush. He complains about how physically demanding it is, and the injuries he has to work through, but he wouldn't be so tired and wouldn't have those injuries if he didn't insist upon treating the tour like an excuse to do what he really wants to do: ride his motorcycle for 100s of miles each day! He takes all the joy out of the documentary. Why can't he just be proud of his accomplishments, even at the end?? Why did he spend 40 years doing something he dreads to do? Why treat it like a chore and impediment that gets in the way of his leisure activities, when he could have quit any time he wanted?? He's the most replaceable member of Rush! They should have kicked him out of the band years ago. Ungrateful bastard. He didn't say one grateful or remorseful thing in the entire documentary. I'm sick that he ever got any of my money.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

While I've enjoyed reading Neil's books due to his riding, there's no question he's a whiny bitch and a prima donna. I haven't watched this Blue-Ray yet (school's still in session), but to be blunt, I'm not looking forward to it.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Geddy and Alex exude gratitude, joy, and remorse for the end of something truly legendary--exactly as you'd expect for prog rock legends facing the end of their stellar careers. They make the viewers/fans proud to have given them so much attention, money, and time. They remind us how rare and fleeting beauty is.

And then Neil comes in and talks about the last show--then end of this era, the saddest moment for all their fans--in terms of, "damn, I still have one more slog to get through."

The documentary is great. Have your hand on the mute button any time Neil speaks and you might enjoy it as it should have been.

Return to “Vespers”