Cail's big honking Rush thread

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

You had better seats than I Don.

I'm gong to eat a little crow here......The show was much better than I expected it to be. Though the setlist wasn't what I wanted, it did make sense in the context of the last couple of tours. And holy cow did "Natural Science" and "Jacob's Ladder" kick ass!

"The Anarchist" was a good, tight opener, and the other CA songs were relatively well-received. "Animate" was everything I wanted it to be and more. It sounded far better than it did on Different Stages. "Xanadu" was good, but not as good as it was on ESL.

The sound was fine, and Ged's voice was arguably better than it was the last time we saw them. Certainly better than it was on the CA Blue-Ray. Glad I saw them again, and I'll go when they come through Baltimore on the inevitable second leg of the tour.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Yeah, I'm really hoping for that 'inevitable 2nd leg' of the tour. Maybe they'll stop at Louisville or Cinci. Good to hear you guys had fun, and that Ged's voice is holding up.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The only rumors I've seen about a 2nd leg were in Europe. I would see them again, given the opportunity.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'll say this again.....The band is foolish for waiting until the end of the tour to record their Blue-Ray. Ged sounded fantastic this weekend, and that'll go away.....Same way it did on the last tour. The Ged we heard the second night of the tour was not the same Ged we heard on the Blue-Ray.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I tend to agree. I thought Ged sounded great! My only complaint was in the overall sound. I heard some, for lack of a better word, distortion. Somebody on the Rush fb page, speaking directly about the Greensboro show that I attended, said that it was Alex's playing that was just off, and went further to say that he was hitting wrong notes at the start of "The Camera Eye." I can't say that I heard that. But, something was definitely a bit off. I blame the venue more than anything else.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I found that they were powerful and dynamic. and Geddy's voice sounded good to me, but I had never seen them live before. and Cail is right about Animate, a highlight of the show.

I am so glad I got to see them. and as many times as I've heard Tom Sawyer, it was still exciting when they segued from South Park's version and the curtain rising with them playing it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:I'll say this again.....The band is foolish for waiting until the end of the tour to record their Blue-Ray. Ged sounded fantastic this weekend, and that'll go away.....Same way it did on the last tour. The Ged we heard the second night of the tour was not the same Ged we heard on the Blue-Ray.
Looks like you're getting your wish.....Rush fb page reports both Toronto shows will be filmed. They're coming up in the next couple of weeks,
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I missed this thread (only check in here every couple of weeks now that the TLD has come and gone).

I saw this tour in Tulsa opening night. Absolutely best time I've ever had at a Rush show, going in with no idea what was going to be played, and then being blown away by that second set. Watching the changes to the stage as they went back in time was fun as well.

I understand, this is probably the last big tour, and I get that. Neil has tendonitis in both shoulders/arms, Alex has severe arthritis in his hands. They all have kids/grandkids to spend time with. I get all that.

But I'm sure as hell gonna miss going to see a big Rush show every couple of years. I've loved them since I heard their first album on 8-track and through all the musical changes over the years, I've always been there buying their albums on opening day, going to the tours, having an absolute blast.

If this is indeed their final tour, it's a good way to go out.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

well when they tape I hope they get YYZ, so I can see what I missed. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Came across this great article written by Richard Foster, who wrote the original short story that inspired "Red Barchetta." Cail, as a motorcyle enthusiast, you'll appreciate this for sure.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:Came across this great article written by Richard Foster, who wrote the original short story that inspired "Red Barchetta." Cail, as a motorcyle enthusiast, you'll appreciate this for sure.
I'm a member of that BMW form (though I rarely post there anymore). I've read that, and I've ridden with Rick, though when I met him I had no idea who he was.

On a side note, I ride in the area he describes on a regular basis. Those are wonderful roads they were on.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That was extraordinary.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I thought so too. I'll admit, I've been skipping that song because of the keyboards. I looked up the lyrics and I don't think I'll be skipping it anymore.

Interesting fact: Jonathan Dinklage, the violinist in that clip, is a brother to Peter Dinklage (Tyrion of Game of Thrones.)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Friend of mine sent me this...
Neil writing about the big solo on this tour...thought y'all might be interested [if haven't seen it already]:

www.teamrock.com/features/2015-09-10/ne ... erent-drum
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I saw that. I didn't understand much of it, but then, I'm not a drum solo kind of guy.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Nice. I needed that.

Though I am still trying to figure out what the machine between the dryers was.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sorus wrote:Nice. I needed that.

Though I am still trying to figure out what the machine between the dryers was.
One of the steampunk things from the CA tour.

Return to “Vespers”