review what you are reading

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

:banana: :letsparty:
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion - been meaning to pick up Moon Knight, intrigued by his new look.

www.comicvine.com/articles/preview-all- ... 00-150469/

Freedom's Five (set in WWI) will be showing up in the New Invaders. they team with Orson Randall (Iron Fist.) James Robinson is writing this.

just from the preview I want to see a Freedom's Five monthly by Robinson.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Warren Ellis' work in Moon Knight vol 1 is excellent, Sarge. Six really weird one-shot stories. No idea what Brian Wood's run will be like, though. Hard act to follow.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Fist and Faith wrote: Like most things, the greatness fades.
That is how I'd like to start off. The Axis Event was a lot of fun, I thought, until issue 8 and 9... at which point they just decided to end it because they weren't having fun anymore. So, it's all right overall, wish some of the changes were more permanent, though.

With the end of Captain America & the Mighty Avengers #3, I think I'll stop reading this... not certain, but not entirely interesting.

The new Thor run (the one with the woman Thor) is a lot of fun.

The Superior Iron Man is also pretty neat.

The Hobgoblin and Carnage minis were both very enjoyable. It's a real shame that the two characters are probably going back to their normal selves. *sigh*

Brian Wood is doing some interesting things with Moon Knight... of course, it's more of a multi-part story than the series of one-offs during Ellis' run. It should not ruin Moon Knight, but it is probably for the best that a new writer will be taking over in March.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I'm Murrin wrote:Warren Ellis' work in Moon Knight vol 1 is excellent, Sarge. Six really weird one-shot stories. No idea what Brian Wood's run will be like, though. Hard act to follow.
Julie got me the graphic novel for Christmas. loved the anthology feel. will be picking up book two when it comes out.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

sgt.null wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:Warren Ellis' work in Moon Knight vol 1 is excellent, Sarge. Six really weird one-shot stories. No idea what Brian Wood's run will be like, though. Hard act to follow.
Julie got me the graphic novel for Christmas. loved the anthology feel. will be picking up book two when it comes out.
That concludes next week! Then it'll be a five-issue arch. Some are expressing concern that this summer's Secret Wars event is going to mess up Moon Knight... and now I'm worried too... hopefully, Moon Knight can just do his thing and ignore the entire thing.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

the Marvel landscape will be changing, but we haven't been told much of what will happen. I believe the Ultimate Universe will be folding into the 616 universe. meaning we will be getting the Miles Morales Spider-Man.

not sure what happens to Peter Parker. but I do know that Spider-Gwen has been proven very popular. I can see a role for multiple Spider-Men.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

There's also that entire Spider-verse thing going on right now... so if there isn't room for Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Spider Gwen, and Silk in the main universe, I'm sure Peter Parker can team up with the Amazing Spider-Ham and traverse the multi-verse in search of treasure and adventure!

And Goose-rider needs his own comic.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

One of the branches of the new Battleworld series is apparently going ot have most of the alternate Spider-characters. Including Spider-Ham.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

they canceled the last run of Hawkeye and replaced it with some awful art. :(

most everything I have been reading this past year has been canceled.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

sgt.null wrote:they canceled the last run of Hawkeye and replaced it with some awful art. :(

most everything I have been reading this past year has been canceled.
Yeah, they also canceled the All-New The Invaders! So many unfinished threads... including what's the deal with the invasion of inter-dimensional Martians, how will the Celestials use Galactus to enact revenge on the Kree... sigh...
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

the only thing I picked up with the New Invaders was the Freedom's Five issue. Robinson should do a Freedom's Five miniseries.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Nameless (writer - Grant Morrison / artist - Chris Burnham

my favorite current writer and one of my favorite current artists. this is Morrison at his most surreal. enjoying it but will have to read the entire set when he is done to pick up whatever I missed. if you like Morrison and his grand arcs/ideas you will love this. it is big and sloppy in his wonderful style. just started following Burnham. if you like Frank Quitely you will dig the art.

Savage Wolverine (writer & artist - Frank Cho)

picked up issues #1 - 5. the five issues are a complete story arc. Wolverine and Shanna the She-Devil in the Savage Land. I really enjoyed this, a nice fun story with some surprises along the way. I am not usually a Wolverine fan, but the character really works well here. and Cho's art is top notch. they were on sale and I am glad because the covers are a real work of art, I believe they are a nod to Steranko.

Batman '66 (various writers and artists)

if you liked the Batman tv show of the Sixties you will like this series. it is high camp well done.

Batwoman (writer - Marc Andreyko artist - Georges Jeanty)

I am collecting the Unknowns storyline. Batwoman (Kate Kane) recruits Ragman, Clayface (Basil Karlo), Red Alice (Elizabeth Kane) and Etrigan the Demon. this is an unexpected treat. love the storyline and love the art. the Unknowns work surprisingly well as a team. another run where the covers are done well, each highlighting a different member of the team. I liked this enough that I am considering getting all of Andreyko's run.

Andreyko was the writer of the great Manhunter series that introduced Kate Spencer as the title character.

Spider-Woman (writer - Dennis Hopeless artist - Javier Rodriguez)

started this series with the promise of a great cover...

so many b-list characters? sign me up! I don't want to spoil the fun. but the three issues I have read so far have been quite fun. I like her new costume and the direction they are going with reminds of the recently canceled Hawkeye series. I am thinking about getting all of Hopeless' run.

Uncanny Avengers (writer - Rick Remender artist - Daniel Acuna)

I love Remender's writing on the many series he has been involved with. and I love Acuna's art. I like the Avenger's line-up in this series. having said that, I have no idea where they will be going with this after Secret Wars.

Hawkeye (writer - Matt Fraction artist - Daniel Aja)

this series just ended their run. and it was excellent. pick this up, either issues or collection. great writing, great art. I loved this series.

Justice League Dark

another series that just ended. it had it's ups and downs. the cross-overs felt forced at times. (but they usually do) their were more stories to tell with this book, and I hope somebody picks up on it. three plus years is more than I thought they would get. but I got the feeling that editorial forced come story arcs.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Convergence

I haven't picked up everything. as a whole it seems a chance to say farewell to some characters. I am guessing DC is betting on both the nostalgia market and the completest market to grab these up.

Suicide Squad : vs Kingdom Come. horrible art. combining the newest version with the main characters from Ostrander run, we gets tons of death. it needed more issues, way too rushed.

Justice Society of America : vs. Qward. with the multitudes that served in the JSA, we only get four - Hawkman (Hall), Green Lantern (Scott), Flash (Garrick) and Dr. Fate (Nelson). this could have been so much better. I wanted to see much, much, much more characters. I did like the use of Qward, but they missed out on using Shadowforce.

www.comicvine.com/new-conglomerate/4060-41636/

Blue Beetle : vs. the Legion of Superheroes. this was good. the Charlton versions of Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and the Question. Dr. Spectro shows up, Booster Gold. this was very good.

Worlds Finest : Seven Soldiers of Victory vs Qward. again the Shadowforce could have been used. this one was depressing. they killed off Green Arrow and Speedy for no real purpose. and they killed off Stripesy. Star Spangled Kid wandered off. no mention was made of Dan the Dyna-Mite and TnT. or Alias the Spider.

Superboy & the LSH : vs. the Atomic Knights. another really good one. this is the LSH i grew up with. and the Atomic Knights do much better than I thought they would. a nice mix of the Legion members. would have liked a longer series for this.

Shazam! vs Gotham by Gaslight : this one was awesome. Bulletman and Bulletgirl. Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel jr, Mary Marvel. my favorite Fawcett villain, Mr. Atom! King Kull, Sivana, Mr. Mind, Tawky Tawny, Ibac. and the Gotham bad guys reveal is awesome as well. this needs to be a monthly!

Batman & the Outsiders vs OMAC. classic Outsiders lineup - Batman, Metamorpho, Black Lightning, Halo, GeoForce, Katana. I would have liked to see Looker. was glad to see the Kirby OMAC. this was a solid book, much like the original series.

Plastic Man & the Freedom Fighters vs post Flashpoint universe. loved the Freedom Fighters and the Silver Ghost. the Flashpoint mechanicals did nothing for me. a mixed review. could have used more of the Quality roster as well.

the Question vs a multitude of worlds. the Renee Montoya version. while I don't like her character this was well done. Batwoman (Kate Kane) and Huntress guest. Two-Face is also handled well. this one surprised me.

Harley Quinn vs the Zoo Crew. this could have been a disaster, but they pulled it off. the Zoo Crew was handled well, with a respect that I worried would not happen.

Booster Gold vs LSH. lots of trime traveler cameos. Jurgens made me want to see this as a monthly. lots happening in these two issues, but it doesn't seem as rushed as the Suicide Squad was.

Crime Syndicate vs Justice League Alpha. this is the original Crime Syndicate and I liked this story. and I really liked the ending.

Infinity Inc vs future Hex. hated the art. and I still have no idea who the guys fighting along side Hex are. did not enjoy. and I can't believe that DC can not get better artists.

Justice League International vs Kingdom Come JLA. really liked how they treated Ted Kord here. better than DC gave him in the regular run.

I am hoping to eventually pick up the other series to see how they were done. but just three truly awful books ( Suicide Squad, Seven Soldiers, Infinity Inc) and a couple truly great books (Blue Beetle, Shazam!) and the rest falling somewhere in between.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

old school to start...

I take you back 1981, when I was 13 years old and buying comics off the rack at Korner Kupboard (neighborhood convenience store.) I got mostly DC Comics at my store, Power Man & Iron Fist, Marvel-Two-In-One and the Avengers being the biggest exceptions. if I wanted Marvel I had to go to Jennings Supermarket closer to downtown Concord, New Hampshire.

Gerry Conway was the writer, he would write the Justice League for eight years. (#151–255) the art for this two issue story would be the great George Perez.

the story involves the true origin of the Red Tornado. the cast is great Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Aquaman, Flash (Barry Allen) and Conway creation Firestorm. almost the coveted Big Seven.

I have to tell you that the art and story hold up all these years later. characters get their own individual moments to shine, and run smoothly as a team. Conway is able to use the rookie Firestorm as the reader's point of view. as things are explained to him we find the origin of surprisingly complex character.

the issue was a good read, it was a lot sunnier in tone than current tastes alllow. and these are the characters I grew up with. no substitutions yet.

the villain is just powerful enough to cause this group worry. and the conclusion is well thought out, not a knee-jerk reaction to trends.

long term Justice League artist Dick Dillin had died the year before and Perez would pencil a few outstanding story arcs for the Justice League. starting the year I was born, 1968 Dillin would pencil the series for 115 issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dillin

the Red Tornado was a Dillin creation, so a nice gesture from Conway in completing the character's origin.

this story remains a favorite after all of these years, and I find myself reading again every couple of years.

and as a special bonus, issue #193 included a short preview of the then upcoming series All-Star Squadron. a Roy Thomas creation that I enjoyed.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Been reading some of the New Secret Wars Marvel is doing at the moment. They're enjoyable what I've read thus far.

Could be that the last Moon Knight until they reboot again will be coming out today... I at least can not find anything certain about Marvel continuing it after Secret Wars :(

Though it looks like Man-Thing will be part of the SHIELD Howling Commandos... :7up:

The new Star Wars and Darth Vader comics have been superb.

Started the new Doctor Fate comic to try and balance out all my Marvel reading with some DC. A good beginning, though it's annoying that you have to read the digital preview in order for everything to make sense and have the proper impact.

I also got a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle comic (#26, I believe) that was fun.

Got Judge Dredd Case Files 01, and I'm enjoying my read thus far.

I also got some Gold Key Doctor Solar comics and Bone when I've run into it.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion - Howling Commandos looks great.

have been reading the Secret Wars : Squadron Sinister and will be picking up the Squadron Supreme when it comes out.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

lots of current Marvel to review. some odd titles, so I am expecting that they will be treated like unannounced miniseries when it comes time to cull the rack at Marvel.

Squadron Sinister : #1-4. one of the Secret War titles that will be setting up the Squadron Supreme series. I liked this very violent, very bloody series. good characterization and a well told story. I really like the minis, with so many titles it is nice to get a complete story.

Squadron Supreme
: #1, 2. this time we get a group collected from different universes. Nighthawk from the Ultimates. Doctor Spectrum of the Great Society. Hyperion of 616, originally from 13034. Blur of the New Universe. and Power Princess from the Squadron Supreme universe of a few years back. and Thundra! (a favorite of mine) I wont spoil the surprise, but the kill off a main character in the first issue. James Robinson (Starman, Golden Age) is writing this so I am expecting good things. really hoping this one lasts.

Weirdworld : #1-5. a Secret Wars mini. this one starred Arkon and a whole host of surprise guest stars. it was a lot of fun, continues on in Black Knight and comes highly recommended by me.

Karnak : #1. Warren Ellis is writing it. I am intrigued. Karnak seems a much more interesting character now. I want to see where this goes.

Illuminati #1,2. an intriguing cast. the Hood. Titania. Thunderball (of the Wrecking Crew), the Mad Thinker, a new Enchantress, Black Ant. reminds me of the last Thunderbolts series, where they were traveling through time. the art is rough, but I like the update of the Thinker. I am a sucker for teams of bad guys.

Howling Commandos of SHIELD
: #1-3. a horror comic. LMD Dum-Dum Hogan, Zombie Jasper Sitwell, Hit-Monkey, Orrgo, Teen Abomonation, Man-Thing, Manphibian, Vampire by Night, War-Wolf. you already know from the cast if you are picking it up.

the Amazing Spider-Man : #1-3. written by Dan Slott. first time I have ever picked up an ongoing Spider-Man series. has Peter as a businessman, the Zodiac, the Prowler, guest star galore. seems like fun. will at least get the initial run.

the Ultimates : #1, 2. Blue Marvel, Black Panther, Carol Danvers (I hate her costume), Monica Rambeau, America Chavez. Vs Galactus. they hooked me, I want to see where this is going.

Black Knight : #1, 2. he is stationed in Weirdworld. he will be fighting the Avengers. I came for the opening, hoping to get hooked and that they keep it weird.

Scarlet Witch
: James Robinson is writing it. that alone gets me intrigued. the Ghost of Agatha Harkness. I am willing to see where it goes. I hope Robinson brings in the Salem Seven.

the Astonishing Ant-Man : #1-3. a fun book. but with so many titles it needs to show more to keep me around.

the Uncanny Inhumans: #1-3. Black Bolt, Medusa, Johnny Storm, the Beast. Reader? the characters had me pick it up. but it could get too burdensome of a story. I am waiting to see where it goes.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I liked Karnak, but hate the wait for the second issue. I, of course, have been picking up the Howling Commandos of SHIELD.

I've been cutting back on my Marvel reading. Have been giving The Walking Dead another try. It's more enjoyable now than when I tried reading them about three years ago... I blame reading cheesy Judge Dredd comics :P

I've also been reading Saga, and that's been fairly enjoyable thus far.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion - with the Walking Dead I wait for the library to get the collections.

money is always an issue of course.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”