Doom Patrol

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Doom Patrol

Post by sgt.null »

The Doom Patrol first appeared in 1963, when the DC title My Greatest Adventure, an adventure anthology title, was being converted to a superhero format.

the writers were Arnold Drake and Bob Haney the artist, Bruno Premiani.

the Doom Patrol first appeared in My Greatest Adventure #80, and then was officially retitled The Doom Patrol beginning with issue #86.

In Doom Patrol #121, the Doom Patrol sacrificed their lives to save the small fishing village of Codsville, Maine.

Nine years later (real time), a new team was introduced in Showcase #94. This new version of the team followed its three-issue tryout with a series of guest appearances in various DC titles.

DC relaunched Doom Patrol in its own title, cover-dated October 1987. After the first 18 issues (and various crossovers and annuals), Kupperberg was replaced by Grant Morrison.

Morrison took the Doom Patrol, and superhero comic books in general, to places they had rarely been, incorporating bizarre secret societies, elements of Dada, surrealism, and the cut-up technique pioneered by William S. Burroughs and Brion Gysin. He also borrowed the ideas of Jorge Luis Borges and Heinrich Hoffmann. The original creator, Arnold Drake, said Morrison's was the only subsequent run to reflect the intent of the original series.

Morrison left the book with issue #63, and Rachel Pollack took over. Overall, Pollack's run dealt with issues such as the generation gap, humanity, identity, transgenderism, bisexuality, and borrowed elements from Judaism and Kabbalah in the last few issues. the title was cancelled with #87.

In December 2001, writer John Arcudi and artist Tan Eng Huat launched a new series. it would last 22 issues.

In August 2004, John Byrne did an 18 issue run that proved controversial in that he wiped out all the previous Doom Patrol continuity.

DC editorial used the events of the Infinite Crisis crossover to restore the Doom Patrol's continuity.

In 2009, Keith Giffen relaunched the series. The series was canceled, due to a decrease in sales, with issue #22.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

what I have...

None of the Drake/Haney/Premiani series. too much money. :(

None of the Showcase series. just haven't found them.

None of the Kupperberg series - they aren't that good. but if i find them dirt cheap, I will pick them up.

Morrison : 20, 21, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 40, 41, 43-53, 55-59, Doom Force Special.

Pollack : 65, 69, 70, 73, 80

Arcudi : 1-22 (bought the complete set as one from Bedrock Comics)

Giffen : 1-8, 10-18, 20, 21. (the Metal Men had back-up stories the first seven issues)

the Morrison run is my favorite comic series of all time. and launched my love of his work. (Animal Man, All-Star Superman, Batman Inc, Final Crisis, Seven Soldiers, Arkham Asylum, Kid Eternity, Flex Mentallo, Aztek, the Invisibles, Seaguy, Marvel Boy)

I wish that Morrison would write and Oddman series with art by John K Snyder. guest starring other Ditko creations, it would be the greatest comic book, ever. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

sgt.null wrote:what I have...None of the Kupperberg series - they aren't that good.)
Not true. 1-5 were fine; Steve Lightle's art was great, and Kupperberg knew where he was going with DP. 6-18 are not good; Erik Larson is such a crappy artist that his distracted me from the stories Kupperberg was trying to tell.

What I have:

Drake/Haney/Premiani series: 94, 96, 98, 100, 104, 107, 109-110, 112-115

This stuff is hard to read nowadays; it's so different from modern comics. The stories are unrealistic as can be, and the characters are not the same at all. Also, EVERY freaking time Negative man leaves Larry's body, Cliff and Rita yell at him "Remember, you have to get back in less than 60 seconds!". So lame. It took adding Beast Boy to the team to put the comic in a more serious mode, which seems kind of ironic to me.

Kupperberg/ Morrison/ Pollack series: 1-75, 77, 79-84

Like I said, 1-5 are good, and 6-18 suck. 19-63 are incredible; maybe the best written series ever. I'm having a difficult time reading the Pollack stuff, though. She seems to have wanted to keep it in the vein of the Morrison issues, but what I've read so far is an epic fail. I can easily get the 5 issues I'm missing, and I probably will for the sake of having the full set; I just don't want to read them.

Keith Giffen series: 1-22

Good stuff; Keith must have enjoyed the Morrison issues, and he is a much better writer than Pollack; he actually captures some of what Morrison did, and keeps his own style. All Pollack could do was make bad imitations of Morrison's characters.

I'm afraid to buy the Byrne series because I know from experience that Byrne can either be the best thing to happen to a comic, or the worst thing to happen to a comic. Unfortunately, for the last 20 years, it's been the latter. The Arcudi series is next on my list to get, after I get those 3 Showcase issues.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

it has taken me years to decide to star collecting the Pollack stuff. she did seem to be doing weird for weird sakes. when with Morrison you can see the overarching story had a point and direction.

I had forgotten that Larsen did art for DP, thanks for reminding me why I will never get those issues. he is horrible.

I agree that Giffen did a fantastic job. (bringing back Super Hip - wow!) and I enjoyed the Metal Men feature as well. they should let Giffen do at least a miniseries of DP in the new 52.

well Byrne ditching all the continuity seems like a bad omen. if I find the issues really cheap I will get them, otherwise... I think when he did the Superman team-ups in Action was the last time I enjoyed his work?

adn I should mention (and I believe you agree) that Flex Mentallo is an amazing miniseries. I keep rereading it to find new stuff I had missed.

I enjoyed the Arcudi series and was able to get the whole run at Bedrock for 20 bucks. did the same with Shadowpact.

I think the key with early comic books is take the best ideas and use those. actually reading the books is usually not fun. Giffen took AVM-Man, Grant took the bones of stories.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

sgt.null wrote: Byrne ditching all the continuity seems like a bad omen.

and I should mention (and I believe you agree) that Flex Mentallo is an amazing miniseries.
Agreed on both counts. Maybe the current 'Before Watchmen" series will be so successful that DC will do a "Before Doom Patrol" series, focusing on the kickass Morrison characters like Flex.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I am getting Minutemen, Comedian, Ozymandias, Silk Spectre and Nite Owl and have enjoyed each one very much.

I am wondering when DC will decide to do another Doom Patrol if the current trend continues they will cancel a book to do it. at least they could give us a miniseries. take Morrison out for beers and get him to write one!

have you read the "big" meet-up between Animal Man and the Doom Patrol in "the painting that ate paris" run?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I read it, and enjoyed it, but I don't remember Animal Man being in it.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

There's a new DP series out; it's on issue #3 so far.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I have read two out of first three issues of the new Doom Patrol, and so far it is excellent. in fact I have enjoyed all four titles of the new DC Imprint, Young Animal.

www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/09/14/young- ... ous-humans
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

What I now have:

Drake/Haney/Premiani series: 80-88, 92-101, 103-120, and all of the subsequent series. I'm only missing 8 issues, and 3 of those are reprints.

Sometime after my last post, I looked up Rachel Pollack on Wikipedia, and found out she's a transsexual woman, born a boy, and basically used her time on DP to push her agenda.

The Byrne series has nothing to do with any of the other series, but I found them cheap, and it wasn't too horrible.

The Giffen series was great; I wwish they didn't cancel it.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Giffen effectively tied in the entire past of the team.
and I enjoyed the
Metal Men back up series.

the Scott Lobdell Doom Patrol that never was.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/05 ... -kyriazis/
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

What I now have: All of them.
Blow away dandelion