Animal Man

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Animal Man

Post by sgt.null »

Created by writer Dave Wood and artist Carmine Infantino, Buddy Baker first appeared in Strange Adventures #180 (September 1965) and adopted the name Animal Man in issue #190. Animal Man was a minor character for his first twenty years.

He made only five, non-consecutive appearances in Strange Adventures. followed by two appearances in Wonder Woman, two in Action Comics, and two in DC Comics Presents, appearing in consecutive issues of each.

is main appearances in the 1980s were as a member of the "Forgotten Heroes", a team of minor DC heroes. It was in that capacity that he appeared in the company-wide crossover event Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Animal Man was reimagined by Scottish writer Grant Morrison. Morrison wrote the first 26 issues of the Animal Man comic book, published between 1988 and 1990, with art by Chas Truog and Doug Hazlewood; Brian Bolland provided the covers.

Soon after the launch of his series, Animal Man briefly became a member of Justice League Europe, appearing in several early issues of their series.

Following Morrison's run, Peter Milligan wrote a 6-issue story featuring several surreal villains and heroes, exploring questions about identity and quantum physics and utilizing the textual cut-up technique popularized by William Burroughs.

Tom Veitch and Steve Dillon then took over for 18 issues in which Buddy returns to his work as a movie stuntman and explores mystical totemic aspects of his powers.

Jamie Delano wrote 29 issues with Steve Pugh as artist), giving the series a more horror-influenced feel with a "suggested for mature readers" label on the cover, beginning with issue #51.

After Jamie Delano's first six issues, the series became one of the charter titles of DC's new mature readers Vertigo imprint with #57, Delano's final issue was #79.

A brief run by Jerry Prosser and Fred Harper featured a re-reborn Buddy as a white-haired shamanistic figure before the series was canceled after the 89th issue due to declining sales.

Gerry Conway and artist Chris Batista made The Last Days of Animal Man, a six-issue limited series telling the tale of Animal Man in the future. The series portrays a middle-aged Animal Man in the year 2024 on his final adventure.

DC Comics relaunched Animal Man with issue #1 in September 2011 with writer Jeff Lemire and artist Travel Foreman.

The relaunched Animal Man has been met with a great deal of critical acclaim.

I love the Morrison run and the new Lemire run. Morrison broke down the wall between reader and the read. something he also explored in his Doom Patrol run and the Final Crisis.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I have...

Animal Man (Morrison) : 2-23, 25, 26, A1 (Children's Crusade)

Animal Man (current) : 1-12, A1
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

As part of The New 52, DC Comics relaunched Animal Man with issue #1 in September 2011 with writer Jeff Lemire and artist Travel Foreman.[7][8]

The relaunched Animal Man has been met with a great deal of critical acclaim. MTV Geek said, "I don't want to oversell this, but if there is a better book put out by DC during the month of September, I will eat the other 51 comics. It's just that good." [9] The A.V. Club writer Oliver Sava wrote that the "first issue of Animal Man combines family drama, superhero action, and macabre horror into a cohesive story that is unique, yet still true to the history of Buddy Baker."[10] Read/RANT said, "Along with Action Comics, Animal Man is among the best the line has to offer," and gave the book an A+ overall, calling it the Must Read Book of the Week.[11][12] Greg McElhatton at Comic Book Resources was less complimentary, giving the book 3.5 stars (out of 5) and saying, "The art might be uneven in Animal Man #1, but the script is dynamite.".[13]

According to ICv2.com, the relaunched Animal Man #1 sold over 55,000 copies, while Animal Man #2 was one of the 50 best-selling comics in October 2011.[14][15]

The storyline of the relaunched version essentially builds on previous Animal Man continuity with Buddy as a happily married family man and superhero. Buddy is forced to take his family on the run after he discovers that his daughter Maxine is the avatar of The Red (the force which sustains all animal life), and that agents of The Rot (the elemental force of decay that are also called The Black) are seeking to kill her.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I have the 90 Vertigo and 6 Last days of issues.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”