Secret Six

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Secret Six

Post by sgt.null »

The Secret Six first appeared during the Silver Age of comics in the initial team's seven-issue title Secret Six (May 68 – May 69).

Unusually, the premiere issue's story began on the cover, and continued on the interior's page one. This strike team of covert operatives consisted of August Durant, Lili de Neuve, Carlo di Rienzi, Mike Tempest, Crimson Dawn, and King Savage.

Created by writer E. Nelson Bridwell and artist Frank Springer, the ongoing series ceased publication with the identity of Mockingbird unrevealed

Writer Martin Pasko and artist Dan Spiegle introduced an updated version of the team as an eight-page feature in the omnibus title Action Comics Weekly #601 (May 24, 1988).

They revealed Mockingbird as Durant, who now reunited the team after twenty years while also assembling a new team consisting of Mitch Hoberman, Ladonna Jameal, Tony Mantegna, Luke McKendrick, Vic Sommers, and Dr. Maria Verdugo. The following issue saw the entire first team, including Durant, die. The feature ran through Action Comics Weekly #612. (August 9, 1988), with DiRienzi succeeding Durant as Mockingbird.

A second arc of this team, by writer Pasko and original Silver Age artist Springer, ran in Action Comics Weekly #619-630 (September 27 – December 13, 1988). DiRienzi died, and his son Rafael disappeared amid intimations that he may be the successor Mockingbird.

I gave the origin of the team up to this point because it exists. but I have no interest in collecting any of those books.

The next version of the team was introduced in Villains United #1 (July 2005). Unlike previous versions of the team, the new Secret Six consists mainly of villainous characters who undertake missions of dubious moral quality and often resulting in a high body count. the writer was Gail Simone.

the 2006 Secret Six limited series finds Simone again writing.

In Birds of Prey issues #104-108, the Secret Six face off against Oracle's Birds of Prey. Simone was the creator and writer of Birds of Prey.

DC launched a new Secret Six series in September 2008. with the amazing Simone still writing the book. this series would last 36 issues.

In the Flashpoint reality, the Secret Six is referred to as the Secret Seven. The members consist of Shade, the Changing Man; Enchantress; Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld; Abra Kadabra; Raven; Zatanna and a new character Mindwarp.

Simone did an outstanding job fleshing out existing characters like Catman, Deadshot, Knockout, Bane and Cheshire. she created great new characters like Scandal, Ragdoll II and Jeannette.

there was much violence, some characters dying. but there was a lot of heart present as well. she salvaged Catman form the scrapheap. treating his joke status among Batman's villains as starting point for a startling transformation.

she created a truly disturbing character in Ragdoll II. she created in Scandal a character I could believe actually existed. who happened to be a lesbian. her sexuality was not used as a hammer or a warning - just as who she was.

Gail handled Deadshot as good as Ostrander did in his Suicide Squad run. and that is high praise.

and Bane was always a character I disliked. Gail made me like him. even while she made it clear he was still a very conflicted man.

and if you like guest stars - this series had plenty. as the Secret Society of Supervillains was an everpresent threat.

I highly reccommend this series. and they have collected them in graphic novel form
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

what I have...

Villains United : #1-6

Villains United : spec #1

Secret Six (2006) vol 2 : #1-6

Birds of Prey : #104-108

Secret Six (2008) vol 3: 1-36

crossovers (vol 3)...

Suicide Squad : #67

Action Comics : #896

Doom Patrol vol. 5 : #19

Flashpoint (Secret Seven) : #1-3

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

I bought 4 issues yesterday. Still unwrapped so I can't tell their titles.

an issue (#2 #3) #31 and a #22
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Krazy Kat wrote:I bought 4 issues yesterday. Still unwrapped so I can't tell their titles.

an issue (#2 #3) #31 and a #22
well #22 and # 31 come from the third series.

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Got another two, just to make up the numbers. More than I could afford really. I'll be sucking on bay leafs this time next week <sigh>

#2 Six Degrees of Devastation
#3 ;; ;; ;; ;;

#16 The Rabbit in the Grave

#20 Cats in the Cradle
#21 ;; ;; ;; ;;

#31 the Darkest House
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Jim Calafiore - pencil and inks...

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

sgt.null wrote:Jim Calafiore - pencil and inks...

cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_10 ... afiore.jpg
Server Error404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Fixed - dAN
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

New 52[edit]

Secret Six was relaunched in the new continuity in December 2014 with Gail Simone returning as the writer. The series features a completely new line-up, save Catman and Black Alice, including Strix, Ventriloquist (Shauna Belzer), Ralph Dibny under the alias of Big Shot and a new character named Porcelain. In the third issue of the series the Riddler was revealed to be the Mockingbird, while Big Shot was revealed to be Riddler's mole on the team. In the next issue, Scandal Savage, Ragdoll and Jeannette appear acting as operatives of Mockingbird, tracking down the team but later the three characters become allies to the Secret Six and turn on the Riddler.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”