Recent stuff from future GRRM books

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Recent stuff from future GRRM books

Post by thranathiril »

I don't see any posts mentioning this, but there are is some information floating around from the next volume in the series. GRRM has already released a spoiler chapter on his blog site, featuring
Spoiler
Theon
and he has done a couple of readings as well at conventions from chapters from the PoVs of
Spoiler
Arianne and Victarion (separate PoVs, not together)
at WorldCon and Bubonicon, George also did a reading from the upcoming world book, which gave a lot of history about
Spoiler
The time between the Targaryens arriving on Dragonstone and Aegon's Conquest
GRRM's website is here -

www.georgerrmartin.com/

and there is discussion on his reading from the World book here -

asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/72313-reading-from-the-world-of-ice-and-fire/

Enjoy!
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Re: further updates on Martinworld

Post by thranathiril »

Further snippets of updates. The next Dunk and Egg short story, which was going to be included in an upcmoing anthology entitled "Dangerouos Women", has been postponed until after GRRM completes the next novel in the main series.

The anthology is still going ahead. In order to fill his commitment to it, GRRM has submitted a piece - "The Princess and the Queen" - concerning the time of the Dance of Dragons in Westeros' history (sister and half-brother contend for the throne, back when the Targaryens still had dragons). Today we learned that this short piece will be c. 35,000 words.
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

If anyone is still reading anything in this forum, a different sample chapter is up at GRRM's site. Now we have a chapter from
Spoiler

Arianne, in which we learn of how she is being sent off by her father to meet with Aegon and Jon Connington, presumably after they (Aegon and JC) have contacted Dorne at the end of aDwD. From the chapter, it is obvious that news of Quentyn's death has still not made it to Westeros.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I am 80% through ADwD so I have started looking around for excerpts from the next book - thanks for posting these. I'd seen the last one you mentioned, but not the earlier one.

Also, there is supposedly a chapter floating around from the viewpoint of:
Spoiler
Tyrion
Maybe it's something he read at a con or something. Can't find a link to it.

Have you heard of it Thranathiril?
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

There was indeed a chapter that was read at a con, but not has not been released on his website.

It is from the viewpoint of the character you mention, and seems to happen very shortly after that of
Spoiler

Victarion. Tyrion and Brown Benn Plumm are playing cyvasse, and bantering. towards the end of the excerpt read, someone comes running in and says there are many sails hoving into sight.
The con readings and the chapters released on his website have so far been different. For the convention readings, we rely on reports from attendees.

There has also been a reading from the PoV of
Spoiler

Barristan, as he leads the forces of Meereen into battle against the besiegers. Towards the end of the excerpt, he too gets reports of the sails of Vic's fleet coming into view.
GRRM has stated that the following were not included in aDwD, and it looks like we are getting to see some of the PoVs involved in the later
Spoiler
a "battle of ice" which is probably a confrontation between Stannis and the forces occupying Winterfell, and a "battle of fire" which is the battle between Dany's forces and her opponents outside Meereen
I know that GRRM is attending a convention on the weekend of May 25th, somewhere in the midwest, so there is a chance that there will be a new reading at that.
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

Over at Westeros, here is the forum that relates specifically to discussing the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter.

Warning - some of the thread titles on this forum may in themselves be considered spoilers -

asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/58-the-winds-of-winter/
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Thanks for those - it's about time those fights happened :0
thranathiril wrote:I know that GRRM is attending a convention on the weekend of May 25th, somewhere in the midwest, so there is a chance that there will be a new reading at that.
I believe that is in Kansas City and if I wasn't already obligated that weekend, I would be there - that's the closest I've ever been to one of these that I know of :(
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

My problem is I've only read them all once, so I no longer have any idea of what was going on in the earlier books. :D I suppose I shall have to re-read them before the next one is out.

Right now, I'm somewhat surprised to note, the thought does not inspire me. And I'm given to multiple rereads of everything. Maybe once I get started again.

--A
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

thranathiril wrote:Over at Westeros, here is the forum that relates specifically to discussing the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter.

Warning - some of the thread titles on this forum may in themselves be considered spoilers -

asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/58-the-winds-of-winter/
I'm on that forum, too!

It doesn't seem to run as smooth as KW, though. So many noobs coming in and leaving all the time. :P

:twisted:
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

Billy G. wrote:
thranathiril wrote:asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/58-the-winds-of-winter/
I'm on that forum, too!

It doesn't seem to run as smooth as KW, though. So many noobs coming in and leaving all the time. :P

:twisted:
That is the nature of the beast, given the interest in aSoIaF generated by the TV series. The moderators over there are fairly rigorous at weeding out the most heinous posters.

Post by Avatar »

Whereas we don't really have heinous posters. :D

I think SerScot is on that forum too.

--A
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

I have a hard time over there, if the search new posts function is shut off, which usually is Saturday through Wednesdays...

I hate weeding through all their numerous subforums. :roll:

Post by Avatar »

Why do they shut off the search? :?

--A
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

One of the admins told me that new post searches shut down their servers because sometimes they have 200 or more users online at any given time.

Wow.

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, now that sorta puts things into perspective...

--A
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I signed up for that forum, but I've never posted. Mostly I signed up cause when I'm signed in I can keep track of what I have and haven't read.

But I do wonder if they will remove me at some point for not posting...
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

As a moderator over on that board, I can say categorically that we will not.

There is a graduated series of penalties for posters who repeatedly violate the posting rules that have been set, but 'not posting' is not something we are concerned about.

Just happy to have as many fans reading the boards and enjoying the books.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

Saw this over on Facebook. Too funny not to share.

thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

Depressingly, it is being reported over at Westeros that the World of Ice and Fire book that was scheduled to be published this year has been pushed back until October 2014.

So that leaves only the Dangerous Women anthology, plus any further chapters that GRRM decides to release, as new material to look forward to in 2013.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

But on the plus side, maybe that means he's focusing on TWoW and it will come out sooner now? :)

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”