Timeless Rock Albums

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Timeless Rock Albums

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

My first nominee is Appetite For Destruction by Guns N Roses. I have been listening to this album all week and I simply can't get past it. It's damn near spot on perfect, the songs sound like they could have been released yesterday. Axl Rose's vocals concentrate snarling rock rebellion so pure it seems impossible to top, yet the seditious abandon of Slash's growling guitar manages the task. The vibe is not simply "we don't give a fuck" -- it's more rock 'n' roll than that, something akin to "we don't give a fuck that we don't give a fuck, and we don't give a fuck if you give a fuck either." My feeling is that this album captured the élan vital of rock 'n' roll in a very pure form. I also believe it is a quintessentially American record, and could not have been produced elsewhere. I am glad that so many youth, unborn when the album was released, have latched onto it as strongly as they have. I suspect it will still be played and appreciated 100 years from now.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I agree it's one of the greats. If one doesn't like this thing, I wonder if/why one likes Rock at all.
[heh...look at us agreeing...come over here and give me a hug, Ex.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Wow, don't think I could disagree any more on that one. I though AFD sucked when it came out, and it hasn't aged well. It was different, partially for the reasons you listed, partially because the band just wasn't that good. Saw them live twice and they were horrible. Yes, I really, really hate Guns & Roses.

Now then.....

Van Halen I - Groundbreaking playing, and arguably the kings of American hard rock.

Moving Pictures - Truly amazing blend of musicianship and songwriting.

Led Zeppelin IV - Which is a pity, because I think there are better Zeppelin albums.

Dark Side of the Moon - Duhhhh.

Exile on Main Street - I hate the Stones, but you've gotta accept that this shit sticks.

Pyromania - Though Hysteria sold more copies, and High 'N Dry is a far better album, this was the template for a decade's worth of copycats.

Something by the Beatles - White Album? Revolver? Hell, Paul McCartney could fall on a piano and write three hit songs in the process.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I would say that Appetite was iconic, like Nirvana's Nevermind. Neither are really great in terms of virtuosity or complex song writing, but they were certainly influential, timely, and unique. Appetite was like the wake-up call from the glossy, mediocre "corporate" rock of the mid to late 80s (Poison, Crue, Winger, Def Leppard, Van Hagar). Unfortunately, I think the rock scene hit the snooze button on that wake-up call and didn't really awaken until Nirvana and grunge movement in the 90s.

It's sloppy, and yes they sucked ass in concert, but I still listen to AFD every now and then and love it. It's a guilty pleasure like Back in Black (or any other ACDC, for that matter).

There hasn't been a shake-up in rock music like that in 20+ years. What the hell happened to rock? The only people putting out good new music are in their 60s.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well that's just a matter of taste and visibility (as in, where are you looking to find the good new music?), isn't it?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I look around online. I have musician friends with excellent taste and a similar thirst for new stuff. We share information, make recommendations, etc. I used to go out and explore the local scene, but not much anymore.

I suppose what I mean is that there hasn't been a comparable shift in the industry due to a band or a movement that has made its mark in our culture in a such a way that one wouldn't necessarily have to go looking for it. You couldn't avoid it. There are big names in music right now, but almost none of them are rock bands and all of them suck. Yes, that's a matter of taste, but during the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s there has always been a group of talented musicians making authentic, provocative, original rock music that was part of the overall culture. What do we have today? Nickelback? There's simply nothing at all like the previous decades in either talent or cultural penetration.

I suppose Foo Fighters is the best "new" music of the last decade, but that came directly out of the last one (Nirvana), so I wouldn't say that it's exactly new.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

The reactions to AFD intrigue me, yet I wonder if I can't make sense of them. I wonder if you could spare 6 minutes in the name of a musical experiment. I am quite curious at your reactions to the following track, if you don't mind giving them: www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YUgHAshSo.

PS Bro hug back atcha Vraith (I'm composing a reply to your post and Z's as well in the Islamic thread, hopefully I'll have those up later tonight).
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote: There hasn't been a shake-up in rock music like that in 20+ years.
I am SO ready for that.
For a brief moment, I thought I saw a glimmer from Disturbed's first album [if not them, someone born from the same stew].

Cail, I'd put the worst Aerosmith before the best stones. I'd put Winger before them. I'd put disco-versions of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Dream On" I heard from useless band I heard once ahead of them.

Z...I think Back in Black an honorable mention, and cuz of another thread you reminded me
Kiss Alive! I LITERALLY can't stay still/sit when it plays..."Black Diamond" for some reason especially just makes me completely Air Band all the parts...[Rush Overture and Temples of Syrinx are the same way, even though I like other of their work more.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

AFD was hugely influential to me, because at the time I was bored with classic rock, I hated the hair bands, and The Black Album was still a couple of years away. I loved GNR then, I thought Axl had the best voice out there and Slash had such a unique sound.

Now, I have to agree that the album hasn't aged well. I don't know that last time I listened to it straight through. I hit skip whenever I hear Welcome to the Jungle or Sweet Child. The only song I listen to regularly is Mr. Brownstone.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I quite like the White Stripes and do like that track. I'm not familiar enough with GnR, though - I pretty much only know three of their songs off the top of my head, and I absolutely hate one of them (November Rain).

I don't feel like I can really comment about timeless rock ablums. In part I don't really feel like I pay enough attention, partly because it seems like something that is about a wider appreciation and I'm pretty personal in my tastes. It also seems like a subject that'd be more relatable to those around in the 70s/80s, not because of a lack of good music since then, but because it feels like there's been a dilution of the idea of "timeless" or "classic" work (along with (because of?) a big proliferation and diversification of styles and genres).

Ha, the vid just got to the bit where he starts covering the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Man". Nice.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Don Exnihilote wrote:The reactions to AFD intrigue me, yet I wonder if I can't make sense of them. I wonder if you could spare 6 minutes in the name of a musical experiment. I am quite curious at your reactions to the following track, if you don't mind giving them: www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YUgHAshSo
Jack White is the only interesting thing to happen to rock music in 20 years, and that's no bullshit. The problem is, no one cares anymore.
Vraith wrote:Cail, I'd put the worst Aerosmith before the best stones. I'd put Winger before them. I'd put disco-versions of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Dream On" I heard from useless band I heard once ahead of them.
Like I said, not a Stones fan at all, but their influence on rock is undeniable. About the most positive thing I can say about Aerosmith is that I don't think they've given me cancer.
Vraith wrote:Z...I think Back in Black an honorable mention, and cuz of another thread you reminded me
Kiss Alive! I LITERALLY can't stay still/sit when it plays..."Black Diamond" for some reason especially just makes me completely Air Band all the parts...
Back in Black is undeniable (but again, I'm not a fan).

If someone gave me a time machine and a gun, and told me I could either go back to the 30s and kill Hitler, or go back to 1970 and kill KISS, I'd really really have to think about it.

DLB mentioned The Black Album. I think that probably qualifies as timeless, even though Metallica stopped being listenable after Master of Puppets.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Where exactly are we drawing the line around "rock", anyway, when it comes to the last 15 years or so?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm Murrin wrote:Where exactly are we drawing the line around "rock", anyway, when it comes to the last 15 years or so?
That's a really good question. I've officially reached old fart status I think, because I literally can't think of a damn thing I've liked since around 1990 that wasn't either by an artist or group that was already around at that point, unless their names were either Jack White or Dave Grohl.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Don, the youtube clip had some balls. A lot better than the only other song I've heard from them, which my son played for me (another source of my knowledge of new music, The Youth of Today). But they need a real drummer and a bassist.

I think the last new band that I've absolutely loved (for more than a couple songs or a single album) was Tool. I was going to say Soundgarden, but I think they were about the same time. And I got into Tool late.

Speaking of Soundgarden ... I'd put either Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, or Down On the Upside on the list of Timeless Rock Albums.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Cail wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:Where exactly are we drawing the line around "rock", anyway, when it comes to the last 15 years or so?
That's a really good question. I've officially reached old fart status I think, because I literally can't think of a damn thing I've liked since around 1990 that wasn't either by an artist or group that was already around at that point, unless their names were either Jack White or Dave Grohl.
I can name all sorts of stuff I like, but "timeless" not so sure, and "rock" depends on definitions.

What do you think of the Arctic Monkeys? Seemed like they'd be a big deal when they first came out, but even though they're still successful it feels like they've just blended into the background since.

Z, I like the White Stripes but find them hit-and-miss. Hits: Black Math, Hardest Button to Button, Fell in Love With a Girl, maybe Blue Orchid. (Seven Nation Army was good until they played it endlessly everywhere and it just got irritating.)
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I like White Stripes for fun, though I don't know a LOT of them.
But the fun [and my "criticism" of them] have the same basic source...I always feel like I've heard it before even if it is "new." Felt the same about Black Crows back in the day...it all seems like remakes, even if good remakes. Some "oomph," or twist is missing that keeps it from being a re-thinking, re-interpretation, or revolution. [it's part of why, though I quite like Metallica, there's nothing special about their cover songs, of which they've done a fair number...which brings me tangentially to Murrin and diversification: there is that. I didn't even consider Metallica for the list despite obvious impact, cuz I don't even think of them as "Rock" in the sense that I interpreted the OP.]
Heh...peeps are posting fast. Cail, I think Grohl really important...which brings another band I think is worth mentioning, though again, i don't think of them as "rock"...Nine Inch Nails. Which forces me to mention Bowie.
edited to add, yea z, badmotorfinger...but again out of my "rock" lines...or I'd put in Alice in Chains.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

That White Stripes track was kind of an experiment to see how everyone reacts to a dirty sound and incendiary but imprecise playing. I'm not sure I've learned as much as I thought I would, however. :O
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

NIN was interesting, though sometimes I feel like Trent was trying too hard. There's some really great stuff on The Fragile though.

The White Stripes (and the Raconteurs) are/were about energy. Jack's got it. Meg's got it. Icky Thump's got it.
Last edited by Cail on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Band On The Run
Born To Run
Breakfast In America
Ghost In The Machine
Joshua Tree
Jagged Little Pill
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

dANdeLION wrote: Jagged Little Pill
Holy crap, I thought I was the only male in the world who loved that thing. :biggrin:

Return to “Vespers”