Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Blackened wood

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

In TOT, Linden in Elemesnedene observes:
Ahead lay the only landmark Linden had seen in the whole of the clachan—a broad ring of dead elms... black and immemorial death... she did not understand... (124).
In FR, at Gallows Howe:
In starlight and the lucent allusions of the Forestal's music, she saw two dead black trees standing beyond the lifeless hillcrest. (292)
I checked TIW to see if it says what kind of trees are on the Forestal's hill, but I didn't find this information. Maybe the type is not important. But I think it might be important that the trees are black like Linden's Staff is now. Since the darkness in Elemesnedene is a mystery to Linden, maybe it was one of those Last Chronicles foreshadowings (literally!) in the Second Chronicles. Maybe it represents the shadow on the heart of the Elohim?
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Where is that ring of dead trees in Elemesnedene? I don't remember it.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Where is that ring of dead trees in Elemesnedene? I don't remember it.
Where fashion-savvy trees died of horror after beholding Findail's turtle-necked muumuu?

It was in the local e-fest.

"Sun-Sage," Infelice said in a tone of glacial scorn, "you mock yourself and are blind to it." Moving disdainfully, she left the eftmound and passed through the ring of dead trees.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I suppose the wood blackens when you use the power within it for destructive purposes.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”