World AIDS Day 2012

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

World AIDS Day 2012

Post by Fire Daughter »

WAD is this Saturday. This year's theme is "Getting to Zero". In fact, it's going to be the theme until 2015. Myles, Heidi and I will be in San Fran this year. The rest of our family will be in Portland.

We continue Mom's and Uncle Steve's work by participating in various events year round and contributing to the organizations like AmFAR and UNAIDS who help fund research and relief for those afflicted. We will not stop until AIDS is gone and is nothing more than a dark memory.

As well as our work in combating AIDS, we are now immersed in fighting cancer. Heidi will soon be transferring to John Hopkins' where she will begin her research studies. She is determined to be part of this fight against cancer.

Here are some links to different HIV/AIDS websites:

giving.amfar.org/template_2.php?msource=mwad2 AmFAR

www.thebody.com/content/69690/world-aid ... ml?ap=1003 The Body...this site has some great info on vaccine development.

www.worldaidsday.org/ This site has date and event information, so if you want to participate, chances are there is an event in your area on Dec. 1.

www.unaids.org/en/ More info on this year's theme, stats, events etc...

Here are some cancer sites:

www.cancer.org/ The American Cancer Society...

www.cancerresearchcenter.org/ This site has info on cancer research. (Heidi spends alot of time on this site)

Money is always needed, but not everyone can donate money. Time and volunteering are also needed and very much appreciated. AIDS patients are often alone, even in today's environment where there is so much information about how it is contracted, many families of those afflicted with HIV/AIDS have abandoned them. Support and companionship are so important, it gives the patients something to live and fight for. Like Isaiah and Alex, who had nobody, their lives are lonely and painful. A few hours every week is all that is needed. These people really do benefit and improve...and they are so appreciative. Love is a wondrous thing :-)

God bless and have a wonderful holiday season everyone! :-)
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Thanks for the update, FD! Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season, too. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Harley Guy
Woodhelvennin

Post by Harley Guy »

Hi everyone, been awhile since I logged on to Kevin's Watch. Hope all of you are well. I came to post something I found on the internet just a little while ago that I thought would be of interest to all of you.

Tracie and Stephen actually met this young photo journalist student back in 1990. Her name is Theresa Frare and she took pictures of a man with AIDS on his death bed. Life Magazine is republishing the pictures for their 20th anniversary as we come to another World AIDS Day. Here is the link to the article and the photos.

life.time.com/history/behind-the-picture-the-photo-that-changed-the-face-of-aids/#1

It was said that her photos changed the face of AIDS.

Take care all. As Brooke said...hope your holidays are happy ones.

Russ
Your love amazes me.

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

So happy to see you posting on the Watch, Russ. We have missed you.

Thank you for the link to this important photojournalism.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Russ! :wave: Good to see you here. Happy holidays to you and your family. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

One thing HIV+ people need badly is friends who will treat them just like anyone else, who will help them focus on living and even planning for the future. Hope and friendship are medicine. Money and resources are needed, but one thing anyone can give is themselves.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Return to “General Discussion Forum”