MN ~ the movie!!!

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Heather Graham (Myste)

Anne Heche (Elega)

Naomi Watts (another suggestion for Elega)

Ed Harris (Joyse? / Domne?)

Image[/img]
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Harris would make a great Domne!
fall far and well Pilots!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Acting choices not withstanding, I think the MN story makes for a great visual experience. A feature film would be very welcome.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Myste wrote:I personally think Adam Garcia and Keira Knightley would make a good Geraden and Terisa.....

^ Adam

^ Keira
She is fit!
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Somebody Else for Terisa?

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

To be honest, I just can't see Julianne Moore playing Terisa. I don't think she is frail/willowy enough. She could definitely pull off the acting, though.

Physically, I think Rose McGowan looks the part better than Ms. Moore, though she doesn't have the chops for the role.

Anyone considered Nicole Kidman? I'm thinking of her more frightened moments in "The Others :hairs: ". Plus, she has a frail quality to her voice that I think would be perfect! :)

DukkhaWaynhim
[Weird, warped, and taking names!]
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I never thought of Terisa as frail and willowy, where does it say that exactly? Now Julianne is better "endowed" than Nicole, but Rose is almost too well endowed 8O and can't act nearly as well as those two... 8) I could definately see Rose as Terisa in a spoof of the movie, actually a spoof of Mordant's Need could be a damm funny, if done the right way (it might turn out to be something close to The Princess Bride...)...perhaps we need a "mis-casting MN" thread? :mrgreen:
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Yeah, Tobey Maguire as Geraden, thats an excellent choice. And Ed Harris as Domne; good too. But what about Sean Connery as Master Eremis, you know, playing the bad guy for once. He has a lot of charisma...

kasten
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I like Tobey Maguire for Geraden, but I wonder if he can turn into the "stony Geraden" of A Man Rides Through....

What about Kate Winslet for Terisa? She's not willowy, but she can do vulnerable as well as she does tough. She's certainly got the chops....

I like Michael Gambon for the Tor. Did anyone see Wives & Daughters? His reaction to his son's death in W&D was absolutely perfect...

I think Bernard HIll would be a great choice for Joyse, Judi Dench (the new M) for Madin, and the dad from In the Name of the Father was Pete Postlethwaite--Havelock?

I'm a newbie--thanks for letting me join in!
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Welcome Myste!!

Please come again & check out the dissection thread of MN - it is really fun getting into the books & characters!!

Earthy
"You're afraid of yourself."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The dissection FORUM that is, called Casting the Augury! :wink:
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Thanks, I will!

Just had another thought--what about Christopher Lee as Gilbur? Wrong body type maybe, but malevolent, definitely malevolent.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

No! Maybe Oliver Platt (actually he might make a better Barsonage) Master Gilbur? Hmmm--De Niro bulked up! I still say Ledger over McGuire 4 Geraden--Kate Hudson might be a good Myste... :wink:
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Oh, not Oliver Platt--I always think of him as the character he played in both Lake Placid and A Time to Kill--maybe he could be Stead!

What about the guy who plays Nero Wolfe for Master Gilbur, and Christopher Lee for Vagel?
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Hm, no, Oliver Platt as Gilbur?

Hi Myste!

Kate Winslet isn't a bad choice, the body/colors would fit the description well, and I like her as an actress. But I still favor Keira Knightley. I know, Terisa isn't exactly fragile and willowy...and I didn't imagine her exactly to look like Keira. But somehow...the movie Terisa would have to be a little more charismatic, perhaps. You need to understand why everybody falls for her, although she is boring as hell (in the beginning). And maybe Keira is more 'cute' than Kate. But I'm still not sure about it. I guess not everything that works in a book (introspective) would also work in a movie. Hmmmm.....

Kate Hudson as Myste...yes!!! Although I imagined Myste to be less fragile, maybe. But she has a lot of charisma and I think Myste is said to be as 'charming' as King Joyse!

Do you know the British actor who played that profiler, Fitz or something? Hm...I don't know if he has played in anything else but television productions, but he could play either Gilbur or Tor.

Ah, I found him: It's Robbie Coltrane. He is brilliant! The TV series is called 'Cracker'.

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've not yet finished MN, but I have already been struck by how well it could be translated to the big screen. The internal struggles of TC, and the health-sense of the first chronicles would be hellish to represent on film. By contrast, MN is a surprisingly 'visual' book, and the imagery (pun simultaneously intended and not intended) would work very well.

Alas, Marlon Brando has died on us but like Myste my choice for the Tor would have to have been Michael Gambon anyway. He doesn't have the bulk, but his delivery would be perfect. I can't think of anyone better than Heath Ledger to play Geraden, although I'd prefer him to have a rounder face and curlier hair.

For Elega and Myste I think Nicole Kidman and Kate Winslet would be perfect, although the woman who played Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat has the perfect look for Elega IMO (shame she's an awful actress).

For Eremis, Daniel Craig from Layer Cake would be good. Without being obviously good looking he has a strange captivating quality that would be essential for Eremis to possess on film.

I'd like to see Derek Jacobi (the friendly Senator in Gladiator) as Joyse, although I'm struggling for suitable actors of the right age to play Queen Madin and Havelock.

I think Torrent is dead right about Coltrane as Master Gilbur, and I think Rufus Sewell would make a great Prince Kragen. I'd like Keira Knightly to play Terisa, but I'm concerned that she perhaps lacks the 'assets' for the part. There's only so much you can do with a nice corset (see Pirates of the Carribean). Failing that I think she'd be great as Torrent.

For some reason I can't shake the idea of a hairy Vin Diesel playing the Perdon!
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I hope no one has said this already, but I think Jake Guillinhall [sp?] is perfect for Gereden. Christopher Loyd IS Havelock. Patrick Stewart is Eremis? Dennis Leary and John Leguizammo as Argus and Ribuld? Vin Deisil is Darsint. Personally, I really cant think of any female actresses these days with the strength, grace, and class to play ANY of MN's females. Teresa I suppose could be played by any rising female starlet.

Personally I think that Mordant’s need would make a much better TV mini-series than a movie, just because of the structure. I would probably begin it with either Havelock's Augury or the congery. This would wordlessly establish any past info you need, and would establish the "science" of the world. Example: Mirror Is broken that shows Orison, look at stunning (but not physically difficult to undertake) shot of all the images. While opening credits scroll, show images of Geredin tripping over himself and getting hit upside the head by Gilbur, show the slug beast eating its way through army's, show Darsint kicking some ass, etc. End with the riders of Terisas dream, scene of the entire dream, Terisa wakes up. What do you think?

P.S.
Do you know the British actor who played that profiler, Fitz or something? Hm...I don't know if he has played in anything else but television productions, but he could play either Gilbur or Tor.

Ah, I found him: It's Robbie Coltrane. He is brilliant! The TV series is called 'Cracker'.
Robbie Coltrane is probobly best know for playing Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies. I've also seen him in a few Kenneth Brannah movies. (Henry V)
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Ten years ago, my favorite actor (have I mentioned?) would have made a great Eremis. Don't laugh! ;)

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Spacey's certainly got that something-something about him...but there's a certain degree of calculated evil missing, I think....

What about Ralph for Eremis? Just the right amount of skeevy, but still sultry & magnetic....?

(He's also got that whole wedge-shaped head thing going on, and the receding hair, and I'll bet he smells like cloves. Yum. :twisted: Bad Ralph! Bad! :goodnevil:)
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Hm, strange. Most people do see the calculated evil thing in Kevin and totally miss the something-something. You should go and see a movie called "Swimming with Sharks". He IS Eremis. ;)

And for some reason I can't stand Ralph. I've seen him in several films and he is a decent actor, but he doesn't have enough charisma in my opinion. At least I don't feel any kind of magnetism. I couldn't stand him in "The English Patient" and "Red Dragon". It's a matter of taste, I guess. ;)

Maybe it's time for an Eremis vs. Eremis deathmatch. *lol*
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Hmmm... I've seen Swimming With Sharks, and I hear what you're saying, but I just don't feel it...Spacey does the rank-b*st*rd-cruelty thing, but I don't think Eremis would have let himself get tied to a chair like that. And Spacey just doesn't ooze sex the way Ralph does...I mean, did you see The End of the Affair? Onegin?(I will admit that the Wuthering Heights he did with Juliette Binoche is appalling. Please don't ever bring it up. :D)

Obviously, though, this is purely a matter of what our respective Terisas would find mesmerizing :D Just imagine the broken mirrors if the four of us were ever in the same room! :lol:

Return to “Mordant's Need”