Stoicism of haruchai?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Frostheart wrote:
Doc Vader wrote: But anyway, I can live with that, as long as TLD won't have any Elohims called La Dygaga or Insequents like Just Inbieber.
:lol:
I would probably use TLD as toilet paper, should it give an approving nod towards Bieber or 50 Shades of Crap or any such braintorment.

Is Kenaustin supposed to refer to something? Cannot make head nor tail out of that, aside from Ardenol sounding vaguely like a brand of painkillers.
It's a secret love note to former basketball player Ken Austin from [a]R[.]Den[sic]ol[dson]?

:hide:
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Aa. Now it looks like something English.

I usually pronounce names not blatantly English in appearance with Finnish articulation and syllabication in my head. The audio book reader pronounces 'skurj' akin to 'scourge', but for me it's something like skoo-RR-y, with a strong rolling R and the Y as in 'yellow'. Syllabication for the other oddment would run ke-na-us-tin, not ken-aus-tin.
Kevin BeerDrinker
Servant of the Land

Post by Kevin BeerDrinker »

Doc Vader wrote:... I wouldn't expect Land inhabitants to make blatant real world references, like talking about "platonic love", "going postal" or making Chuck Norris jokes.
I'm pretty sure that the first Insequent that the Haruchai met was Chuck Norris.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Frostheart wrote:Aa. Now it looks like something English.

I usually pronounce names not blatantly English in appearance with Finnish articulation and syllabication in my head. The audio book reader pronounces 'skurj' akin to 'scourge', but for me it's something like skoo-RR-y, with a strong rolling R and the Y as in 'yellow'. Syllabication for the other oddment would run ke-na-us-tin, not ken-aus-tin.
Heh...I like your sounds better. But DAMMIT! Now on my next re-read all the exotic words are going to be rolling around with a bad-russian-ish-accent sound. [at least your Finnish description seems to share some phonetic similarity to russian sound. oo, rrrrr, y anyway].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Finnish sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5g2vo2ajM
Russian like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhL_mOq3vmU

Russian is softer and contains a fair deal of s/z-type sounds nonexistent in Finnish.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Finnish belongs to the Finno-Ugrian department (somehow related to Hungarian) whereas Russian is Slavic language if my memory serves me right.

Takj for example that wonderful word "perkele" from Frosthearts profile. Properly pronounced )with at least 37 rs in the middle) it's downright sexy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThK-wdRQZlk
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Doc Vader wrote:Finnish belongs to the Finno-Ugrian department (somehow related to Hungarian) whereas Russian is Slavic language if my memory serves me right.

Takj for example that wonderful word "perkele" from Frosthearts profile. Properly pronounced )with at least 37 rs in the middle) it's downright sexy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThK-wdRQZlk
But sound and linguistic family have a funny relationship.
Personal anecdotes with twists, separate yet related. When I was in Germany [darmstadt] I reached the point where I understood almost everything in conversational German. Then I had to ask my friend Dieter once what language a couple folk were speaking...he laughed and said "German. Your country isn't the only place with Southerners."
LATER [almost 2 years] the German woman I was involved with was working for Disney in Orlando, sent me a letter with the line "Can't wait till you get here. Everything fine at work, but outside they don't speak the same English you do."
[that's all paraphrase, been a long time, but it's roughly correct].
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Doc Vader wrote:And the Lost Deep is Plato's cave then? :p
I had been following this thread - up untill - :p. That just takes the biscuit!

time to hit the books : )
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

NOOOO Eläkeläiset. :spew:

The best lot of collected perkeleet I could find.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypQuREhWe8o

I have no idea how a thread about Rime Coldspray's odd expression turned into a lecture over how to pronounce the name of an ancient Finnish thunder god. :P
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

HEH! another redirect! I had to look up [of course] Eläkeläiset, which made me look up "humppa"....duple meter at 220-260 bpm????

Thrash Polka!!

No WAY is anyone in that room stoic...except maybe the ancient mega-rich guy sitting along in the corner smoking Sobraines.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Eläkeläiset are essential. Especially live. You haven't lived if you don't know all the songs they wrote in humppa only to be stolen by other bands. :p
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Gaahahaah, didn't immediately realize Humppasonni is a parody of HIM's "Join me". (Or like Vader said, HIM stole it from them.) :haha: It's worse when you understand the lyrics. Been a while since I've listened to anything from Eläkeläiset. More into the metal humppa bands like Korpiklaani and Finntroll et al.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzuxkkGyWQ
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Finntroll is fun. Yet Eläikeläiset are more fun and Lasse Kinnunen is my brother.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

They don't seem to tour anywhere nearby for a looong while. :/
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Yeah, it's been a while since I seen them live ...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Vader wrote:I'm reading the Chronicles in English, though since I generally avoid translations if possible.
Gosh - major respect Vader for tackling The Chrons in english as opposed to what might be the easier option (given SRD's prediliction for obscure and anachronistic word usage) of opting for translations. Can I ask - I'm reading book's that pertain to translation at present as well as translated books - have you ever read any of the Chrons in translation at all. I would very much like to know, if so, how they compare and also hear any other observations you may have on the subject. I'm mono-lingual (it feels like a disability to say it like that - and probably it is) and cannot know what the experience of taking a complex text on board in two languages is like. It's a big ask but could you share the experience with us a little. In fact I'm going to go to the 'general literature discussion' section and start a thread on this topic where I hope you will give us an insight into your experience.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I tried to answer your question in the other thread. The short answer is reading them in another language adds to the magic. ThoughI usualy forget pretty fast I'm not reading things in my native tongue.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Thanks Vader - I've been over there. I'm very envious of your skill and should at least make the attempt to learn a new tounge myself (my fifyt ++ addled brain notwithstanding! ;) )
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Against All Things Ending”