2012 Watchy Discussion

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I protest this rule. :D What is the reasoning behind it? I can either nominate somebody or second somebody? Deserving Watchers are going to be left out.

--A

Temp

Post by Avatar »

I would second Orlion, but apparently the rules forbid it. ;)

--A

[moved from Funniest Watcher category, as this is discussion and neither an official nomination nor second. ~m.]
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

My seconding hands are tied for the same reason.
Orlion, let's test these rules out; come and second yourself!

[moved from Funniest Watcher category, as this is discussion and neither an official nomination nor second. ~m.]
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Yay, controversy! And on the night before the polls close. This is SO exciting. I hope it gets violent ;)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

In any given categoryy, you can only nominate or second. Presumably, you'll vote for the name you put up, so why put forward another? Keeps the noms to viable picks.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*whew*
[very relieved I've enforced the sheriff's rules correctly]
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

[quote="Iolanthe" Apparently Vraith has nominated me, but surely it is supposed to be funny ha ha,[/quote]

I think you are funny enough to be considered even if funny isn't the dominant mode of your post-expression. Deal with it.
Unless you want me to irrationally spew hatred everywhere about you, turning you into the Watch Anne Hathaway...hated without reason or purpose.

ZOMG!!!! Did you see Io's 8O face after she got the nomination? I am so totally sure she'll fake 8O again if she wins, then nearly :swoon: and give a :screwy: :sob: :loveyou: speech.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Vraith wrote:[quote="Iolanthe" Apparently Vraith has nominated me, but surely it is supposed to be funny ha ha,

I think you are funny enough to be considered even if funny isn't the dominant mode of your post-expression. Deal with it.
Unless you want me to irrationally spew hatred everywhere about you, turning you into the Watch Anne Hathaway...hated without reason or purpose.

ZOMG!!!! Did you see Io's 8O face after she got the nomination? I am so totally sure she'll fake 8O again if she wins, then nearly :swoon: and give a :screwy: :sob: :loveyou: speech.
[/quote]

:biggrin: OK OK, I've started the list of people I have to thank, so I don't forget anyone, just in case. :wink:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

LOL, guys!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Um, guys? Last day of nomination period and no one has nominated for Watcher of the Year.

(I'm trying to make my mind up.)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

By the way, I still have no idea which category I should nominate wayfriend's Chrons/Spongebob parody.

Edit: And there's no art category! Only parody art...
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

no one has nominated for Watcher of the Year.
Why,
(I'm trying to make my mind up.)
you're not the only one like this)
I'm Murrin wrote:By the way, I still have no idea which category I should nominate wayfriend's Chrons/Spongebob parody.

Edit: And there's no art category! Only parody art...
Nominations for "Best User-Created Image," 2012

And I kicked myself mentally several time for not thinking about poetry and songs then - when nominating the categories. Such things tend to be understood when it's late :)
A role-player, beware
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Effaeldm wrote:
no one has nominated for Watcher of the Year.
Why,
I'm finding the most deserving folks that come to mind have all won it already (thanks a bunch, no-tie-breaker rule ;)).
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm Murrin wrote:I'm finding the most deserving folks that come to mind have all won it already (thanks a bunch, no-tie-breaker rule ;)).
:clap: Image
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I'm Murrin wrote:I'm finding the most deserving folks that come to mind have all won it already
Pfft. Did the whole active cast of the Watch get the prize? So there are lots of people who deserve it. I have more of a problem choosing one.
A role-player, beware
Linna Heartbooger

After I nommed "Agony Sheep's advice column" for "Best Mallory's Game," it was mentioned:
murrin wrote:(though I would maybe have put it in Humor Thread).
This makes sense to me.

[Syl], Menolly, or anyone who can answer this question with decent certainty...
now that it's been nommed and seconded, is it too late for me to backpedal, take it out of "best mallory's game," and nom it in the humor category?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:After I nommed "Agony Sheep's advice column" for "Best Mallory's Game," it was mentioned:
murrin wrote:(though I would maybe have put it in Humor Thread).
This makes sense to me.

[Syl], Menolly, or anyone who can answer this question with decent certainty...
now that it's been nommed and seconded, is it too late for me to backpedal, take it out of "best mallory's game," and nom it in the humor category?
I don't have a problem with moving it, if the sheriff doesn't. Would your seconder follow?
Linna Heartbooger

Don't know!
I suspect he would, if he's online in time, but haven't asked him!
May not be time before the nom's close..

Glad to see good things in both of those categories... so at least one should have TWO options for voters to choose between.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

FYI...

I'm doing my best as far as putting the accepted seconded nominations in the category summary post at the top of each category. However, I am uncertain on the rules regarding nominating or seconding ones own post, thread, artwork, etc. So there are a few categories where seconded nominations have not been listed as accepted yet.

I have a question in to the sheriff regarding it. I am hopeful to have answers prior to the end of the nominating process tomorrow.

Post by Avatar »

Where's the list of past winners so we know who's ineligible?

--A

[moved from "Watcher of the Year, 2012]
[oops. taken care of. thanks, av. ~m.]

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”