2012 Watchy Discussion

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote:Hey, where's the MIA Award? I was looking for it to nominate MatrixMan and Cj and Myste.

(Damn your rules. ;) )
No one nominated nor seconded it as a category when that option was open...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

At least got around voting this time... :? There's a mistake in this thread, however. Menolly has forgotten to update the 1st post; it had another seconded entry, not just mine.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Fixed
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Voted.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Frostheart wrote:At least got around voting this time... :? There's a mistake in this thread, however. Menolly has forgotten to update the 1st post; it had another seconded entry, not just mine.
Never included the second nomination and second, since no one posted a link to the original post and could not confirm it was a 2012 posting...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Menolly wrote:
Frostheart wrote:At least got around voting this time... :? There's a mistake in this thread, however. Menolly has forgotten to update the 1st post; it had another seconded entry, not just mine.
Never included the second nomination and second, since no one posted a link to the original post and could not confirm it was a 2012 posting...
Well you should start visiting the Mallory's! :P

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=908797#908797
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Ah, Frosty...it will be a cold day in a place far from Finland when Menolly willingly visits Mallory's!

~edited to address Vraith's semantic distinction...but then he's usually up to semantics.
Last edited by Savor Dam on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:Ah, Frosty...it will be a cold day in a place far from Finland when Menolly visits Mallory's!
HEE HEE! I'm pretty sure I somehow got Menolly to visit Mallory's through VILE TRICKERY....[I think it was Menolly...it was definitely someone who was really unhappy about it.]

Anyway, I didn't read ALL the rules...are we supposed to announce we voted, like last year?

I voted.

I wish enough people played so one wouldn't feel guilty for voting for him [or her] self for what one wants, cuz it wouldn't make much difference in toto, or out of toto, or even out of Kansas...or voted for oneself cuz one is pretty sure he [or she] has no chance of winning but CAN'T decide on the other candidates...

EDITED for....none of your business.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You don't have to say you voted. Also, I should probably point out that open discussion is now allowed in the category threads.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

shouldn't I be made mod of Mallorys by now?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Savor Dam wrote:Ah, Frosty...it will be a cold day in a place far from Finland when Menolly willingly visits Mallory's!

~edited to address Vraith's semantic distinction...but then he's usually up to semantics.
The Antarctica lies far away!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Last day to vote!
Polls close tomorrow.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

sgt.null wrote:shouldn't I be made mod of Mallorys by now?
i agree with him, make it sew, this thread...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

So when do we hear the final results; noticed a jugful of ties?

Also perkele. 8O Thanks everyone for voting. 8O :oops:
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

yes, I am back from hospital. where are my awards?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Th..th...th...th...th... that's all, Folks!

Thus concludes another successful round of the Watchies. The results in the polls are final. Congratulations to the winners, and equal congratulations to the nominees.

Thank you all for participating. Really, that itself is more important than who won what. It affirms a commitment to this place, means that we care enough about the digital and spiritual content of an online community to stand and point to what we think KW culture should be. It's not about a "meat parade" or popularity contest, not about self-aggrandizement or finding relatively meaningless personal validation (for more on this, consider the winning post in Best non-SRD Related Post, even if Burn the Effigy was robbed). Bravo Zulu.

I ask that you keep this in a corner of your mind throughout the rest of the year. Keep it going and make it easier on yourself by spotlighting posts here in this forum.
-George Steiner
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'd like to thank [Syl] and Menolly for their great work in organising and promoting the Watchies.

:yourock:

Thanks as well to all who participated. The Watchies are fun and are a great opportunity to recognise the value of peoples' input and participation; especially newbies and above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty contributions.

Congrats to all the winners and commiserations to all the runners up!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Gratz to all the folk, keep up the good typing [or sketching/scanning/uploading/linking in the case of imagers].
I'd be bored without ya.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

[Syl] wrote:I ask that you keep this in a corner of your mind throughout the rest of the year. Keep it going and make it easier on yourself by spotlighting posts here in this forum.
Sheriff, now that the nomination and voting season is over, will the forum be reopened to the greater Watch community, or will it still be a membership-only operation?

The question is prompted by your encouragement of Spotlight posts. I would suggest that restricting posting to only registered members will lead to fewer Spotlight posts. Certainly, the existing cohort of Watchy forum members can easily spotlight posts at will. What of those who are not?

Some are current Watch members who just were not motivated enough to register for this Watchy season...but some future post will inspire them to want it to be remembered. They will come here, not remembering the membership restriction...and their initial attempt to post will fail. Some will stop there; others will persist and read the top-of-thread post and register. Hopefully, once their group membership is confirmed, their fervor to spotlight a post (indeed, their very recollection of the post they wanted to call attention to) will still burn brightly enough for them to consumate their original intent.

Then, there are those who do not even know about Spotlighting. Your co-mod is a powerful forum pimp and will spread the word repeatedly over the coming year. As long as she keeps mentioning the registration requirement and how to fulfill it, the new fish will learn the way here...but the risk here is that she will perhaps receive some feedback about her repeated promotion attempts that will wound her tender sensibilities and blunt her willingness to do her vital job.

Lift the membership requirement until the next voting season, and we can avoid all these risks and maximize the spotlighted rememberances of worthy posts.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, I'm fine with that, but you have to bug Avatar to do it.
-George Steiner

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”