New Pitch/Gossamer mess [edited]

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

New Pitch/Gossamer mess [edited]

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Testing if my arm can sustain tension again. Wasn't on the mood for any ursandwighthims or massive battle scenes, so have some off-duty Pitch/Gossamer soppiness. Not sure what to do with the background. Or if the whole tosh might look better in widescreen format.

He is looking into her eyes. That angle can get challenging. :P

And, as always, a teensy bit of discussion's much appreciated. ;)
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Great work, of course. You're representations are fairly well established, you don't seem to be toying around.

What's with the patchwork jerkin on P? It seems to convey some degree of poverty or wildness that I wonder about.

Perhaps an intersting idea would be to see P gently pulling G down so as to look into her eyes more directly.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks!
RL worms its way into art. As a part of my histrenactment hobby, I make my own costumes, and thus know something about actual historical patterns and how fitting works. Since I've adopted a distinctly Viking-inspired style for the Giants, I can use my existing knowledge here.

1. "Patchwork" clothing was common in Ye Oldendays, and the cut had less to do with the status than the dyes/materials/weave (compare vaðmál to silk). See the Viborg Shirt. Weaving as much fabric as required in a Finnish Viking woman's peplos (or overdress) with a warp weighed loom took a year from one person, and thus canvas was never squandered. Every corner became used somewhere in the sark or dress.

Naturally a Giant's garment would require oodles of more fabric, a thicker weave (more expensive to make), or possibly several layers of said material. We've read about stone mail, leather, but also a knowledge of wool weaving/knitting in TOT, which implies they probably use a variety of different materials for their habiliments. And a pair of linen braies sounds more comfortable than interlocking granite discs. :biggrin:

2. Normal shirt cuts wouldn't sit at all with his awkward body, and I don't see why he ought to wear one of those elohim muumuus either. :lol: Stitching together pre-cut "patches" or making copious amounts of sisennys (not sure what it's called in English, a handicraft term nonetheless) is the only means to sew him a nice sark/jerkin.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

The Giants might not need 'oodles' more fabric if they cultivate bigger crop yields, than the peoples of the Land proper. I would imagine Brathairealm would be expensive. Unless the Giant ships hit the harbour during the January Sales :P , (traditional bargains of left over Christmas stock here in the UK).

The background has to be a gigantic full moon. And oodles of stars.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

I like the sound of 'oodles'. :P We have post-yule sales too.

Twice the height = four times the surface to start with, and mine could be a tad burlier than the product of the direct upscaling. Then again, the Giants could cultivate special hybridized species providing more fibers per plant.
Or alternatively breed massive badass sheep that chomp down tree trunks for breakfast. Shaun could make some new friends. It won't take long to reach Gianthome if we stick her onto the back of a Ranyhyn with some clingor and shout giddyup.

Well, the full moon's a classic. Should work even with giantish lovey-doveying. :lol:
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Looks great.. I use widescreen because if fits better to use as a desktop image, I like the behind the scenes story view of pitchwife and GG. And the patchwork for Pitchwives garments looks like they were altered to fit his mis shapen back.. I really like your artwork,..always interested in new pieces..keep up the great work!! I wish i had more time but have been having to work alot lately so havent been able to do much recently.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Now they can really moon over one another. This is turning so sugary people'll need a dentist's appointment afterwards.

And very post-Guilt-ish. :roll:

I'm giving it a b/w shading due to a lack of time for actual coloring.

Blackhawk wrote:Looks great.. I use widescreen because if fits better to use as a desktop image -- I wish i had more time but have been having to work alot lately so havent been able to do much recently.
Thanks, hope you get around posting new things eventually. :) Good luck with work. Yeah, the widescreen format has its advantages, esp. with sweeping landscapes or huge multi-cast setups. I guess my problem is that I like to concentrate more on characters than the Land itself, which is why my format often becomes a tallscreen.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu May 09, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

It's über-soppy. :biggrin: Multiple light sources--difficulties with shading.

Don't think I have any more energy to pour into this.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu May 09, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Noticing (to my delight) some little details like the rocky cliff, apparently at some height above the turbulent sea below...and the face in the rock behind Pitchwife's knees. Not to slight the wealth of detail in the characters...but Frosty's love for them has ever been apparent.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks, well, I like my itty-bitty details even a tad too much. :lol:
The background's supposed to represent some section of Gianthome. I had a somewhat more extensive setup in mind at first (a kind of widescreen vista of some of those dwellings within a sheer cliff and perhaps some ships), but my shoulder still pained me.

The face is a fairly popular runestone motive and supposed to ward against evil, but I've always found it oddly sympathetic. :biggrin:

Would be nice if people didn't hop over the middle wips...I have a reason for posting them, after all. A couple of matters still bother me here, GG's balance being one of the bigger issues. After a couple of fixes, it still seems off. And don't really know how to correct it either. The further the shading/coloring/inking progresses, the harder redrawing even small elements becomes. H'okay, it's silly and gooey, but a fair amount of work put into it nonetheless.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Sorry to have given the wrong impression. While I may have only commented on the final "Don't think I have any more energy to pour into this" version, I followed the thread and the evolution of the image through every iteration.

Even with my reputation for being pedantic, I am not going to blurt out comment at each stage...but I am watching, as are many other silent Watchers... I have heard you when you have expressed frustration with lack of feedback, so I do try to say *something*.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Nah, didn't mean that everyone has to comment on every stage, and I do appreciate every bit of feedback. :)

But it's rather quiet here in the Gallery again. The last time I asked progress feedback on something was sometime during the previous autumn.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I've been generally quiet here recently - and going to fix that)

And I'm still kind of not sure if I really want to say this, but you did state you liked feedback - the first thing that comes to my mind on seeing this picture is exactly the one you denied right in the first post :twisted:
A role-player, beware
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Not too concerned about that. They are well-enough acquainted that she knows where he is looking; not that there would be much doubt in her mind anyway, nu? :twisted:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

:wave:

:twisted: Well I was wondering if I ended up the only one who considered the angle awkward...nobody complained and it's impossible to change that now. :biggrin: Then again, PW may appreciate the other landscapes as well.

*stuffs a sock in mouth*
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

PW cherishes all aspects of GG's landscape, assuredly.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

No concern on my side, it was Frosty's concern from the first post.
Frostheart wrote:nobody complained and it's impossible to change that now. :biggrin: Then again, PW may appreciate the other landscapes as well.

*stuffs a sock in mouth*
And good I spoke up only now that it's late :twisted:
A role-player, beware
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Aaand although GG loves the joyful spirit within PW, she must dote on some aspects of his landscape as well, considering how they spent most of their time in Andelain...
Effaeldm wrote:
And good I spoke up only now that it's late :twisted:
You EVIL, TWISTED, NEFARIOUS...wait. I'm only complimenting you, right?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(I didn't complain, but I offered a suggested remedy, I thought.)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:(I didn't complain, but I offered a suggested remedy, I thought.)
:lol:

Yes, and been thinking about that, just no time for sketching right now. Deeming it would be best if either both or she sat in such lovey-dovey-scenes; with those proportions the top of PW's head would remain even slightly above hers. Of course, if I draw another mushfest, they might do something else than ogle at one another. :lol:

Honestly, the matter of him glancing at some rolling hills on the way up doesn't bother me that much. :biggrin: Noticed the issue sometime after having arranged the characters in place and already inked great chunks; mainly a source of some hilarity to a Nordic lummox sporting a terrible sense of humor. :P More concerned over technical thingamajigs like the aforementioned balance problem.

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”