The best moment in the Last Chrons

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

DWOLF
Stonedownor

The best moment in the Last Chrons

Post by DWOLF »

I would say Linden unmasking the villians at the Earthblood. It's in my top 10 actual moments from any of the Chrons.

The reaction when TC lets the elder handle the white gold in the first Chron would be another... just something about it....
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: The best moment in the Last Chrons

Post by dlbpharmd »

DWOLF wrote:I would say Linden unmasking the villians at the Earthblood. It's in my top 10 actual moments from any of the Chrons.
I agree. "Show me the truth!" ranks right up there with "Nom."
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Yep, that was a moment to remember. Not perhaps the "best" bit, but the most unexpected was when Roger killed the Harrow. Sucker!! (I think that's what he said, anyway).
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Iolanthe wrote:Yep, that was a moment to remember. Not perhaps the "best" bit, but the most unexpected was when Roger killed the Harrow. Sucker!! (I think that's what he said, anyway).
Agree again.

Liand's death was the most shocking death in the entire Chronicles.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Resurrecting Covenant has got to be right up there.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:Resurrecting Covenant has got to be right up there.
Agree, cuz it was both a fulfillment of all the lead up AND was full of unexpected implications.

I have a thing for a couple with Stave, though...even if somewhat less "potent" than the suggestions....
The "IF" thing.

But also, and this IS potent, EVERYONE should love it:
"I am Haruchai/I do what I must/I will redefine power for you" thing.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Zarathustra wrote:Resurrecting Covenant has got to be right up there.
You had to see that coming though.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

"I will strike a blow as to alter your conception of power..."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

iQuestor wrote:"I will strike a blow as to alter your conception of power..."
Yea, that's the exact quote of one I was talking about. didn't have the book handy, but it should be on everyone's list...and not just for LC's.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Stave's 'report' to the Masters at the end of TROTE when he declares his support for Linden despite his misgivings and in the face of the open condemnation of his Haruchai bretheren. A classic peice of Haruchai intransigence and disregard for cosequence to the self in the face of what is known to be right. (question; why did the legendary Haruchai groupthink not immediately bring them all to the exact conclusion that made Stave make the decision he did at this point - their not having been present at the 'HorseRite' does not explain this since their collective experience pool should have made up for this deficit. Was Stave already in some way dissociating from the Haruchai collective).
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
felocin
Servant of the Land

Post by felocin »

I think the battle with the croyle in AATE has been my favorite part so far. That into the SWMNBN chase was pretty action packed. AATE was an incredible book. People who said they didn't like it or it was boring complete me baffle me.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I'm probably the sole soul on this board who fangirls the band of badass women wielding BFSs and kicking various types of arse or tearing out wormhearts, but here goes...

-The last Covenant chapters of AATE. The haunting desolation, Ragnarökkr-ish atmosphere, Covenant's broodings...brilliant.

-SWMNBN and the sacrificing of Elena

-Kevin Landwaster's redemption in Andelain

-The revelation that the fake Cov was actually Roger

-The Viles messing with Linden's perception (or however it went, should read FR again)
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

- Linden in Garroting Deep eating stew with the Madoubt (there is no spoon)

- Linden almost being cleaved in half in Salva Gildenbourne (Tom Beringer in Platoon)

-
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Frostheart wrote: -The revelation that the fake Cov was actually Roger
Yes! The first time through, I knew fake Cov wasn't Covenant, but I was snookered by things SRD had said over the years, particularly that in the Last Chronicles TC would become LF. I never, ever imagined he was Roger.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Frostheart wrote: -The revelation that the fake Cov was actually Roger
Yes! The first time through, I knew fake Cov wasn't Covenant, but I was snookered by things SRD had said over the years, particularly that in the Last Chronicles TC would become LF. I never, ever imagined he was Roger.
Interesting.
I'm proud to say I figured it out on my first read through, as soon as I read Part 1, Chapter 3 of FR, and I have the post to prove it. :biggrin:

~*~edit~*~
also...
Be Welcome to the Watch, felocin.
Be Well Come and True.

Come on over to the Say Hello in Here thread over in The Summonsing and introduce yourself.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

:|

What's said at AH doesn't count. ;)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:twisted:
...oh yeah? :hearts:
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I would have prefered Roger to have been a more ambiguous charachter. OK, SRD was fair enough in writting him as the villain of the piece - but very little slack has been cut him in description of the trauma's of his upbringing that have caused him to be the way he is - and he is almost a 'pantomime' charachter in the one dimensional presentation of his nature. Would it have been so hard for SRD to have given him a bit of the anti-hero nature his dad was so well endowed with - or even just a little bit of ambivalence ala Esmer?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

peter wrote:I would have prefered Roger to have been a more ambiguous charachter. OK, SRD was fair enough in writting him as the villain of the piece - but very little slack has been cut him in description of the trauma's of his upbringing that have caused him to be the way he is - and he is almost a 'pantomime' charachter in the one dimensional presentation of his nature. Would it have been so hard for SRD to have given him a bit of the anti-hero nature his dad was so well endowed with - or even just a little bit of ambivalence ala Esmer?
I agree. I've always been a bit suspicious when SRD says that he conceived the 2nd and Last Chronicles at the same time. I think if he had done so a character like Roger would have been primed more in the 2nd Chrons (even just as flashback or some few words by a clear-minded Joan). The vulgarity of the fake Covenant's language was annoying when I read it and, in retrospect, an obvious giveaway. (I also noticed when I was doing a reread of ROTE that there was more attention paid to ordinary things like toilet facilities than in the previous Chrons. I wonder if the Last Chrons are not 'less-fantasied' than the earlier ones?)

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

ussusimiel wrote: I wonder if the Last Chrons are not 'less-fantasied' than the earlier ones?)

u.
ditto.

Yes I remember seeing this comment re the 2nd and 3rd series being conceived at the same time (in fact I'm not even sure that the statement was not made before even the 2nd were written/published - it was many, many years ago when I saw it first) - but I can't help but feel that the 3rd series as concieved then would have been a much different animal than that which we have in front of us now.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Against All Things Ending”