Quality, satisfaction, integrity of the Last Chronicles

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Quality, satisfaction, integrity of the Last Chronicles

Post by SkurjMaster »

Ok Watchers, I'm just gonna say it. I'm worried about the ending here. Please also note that I am a HUGE Donaldson fan. I may have not attended the gatherings and such, but his work has spoiled it for me for the writing of others. I almost always compare other authors' work to his. In fact, the late Robert Jordan was the only one that came close in recent memory, and maybe Steven Erikson. But neither really plums the depths of a character and his relation to the surrounding world or his knowledge of him/herself like SRD.

But, like others, I have some fears/doubts. It may be apples to oranges in comparison, but examples like the TV show LOST, are starting to come to mind. What if this just can't be done? Has SRD bitten off, story-wise, more than he can chew? I mean, he is trying to wrap up the existence of Covenant, Linden Avery, and the Land, its Earth, and population, all in one fell swoop.

Where I really started to doubt, sometimes really hard, was the whole Roger impersonating Thomas thing. I am still not sure what, literarily or character-wise, was achieved by that. Basing the Second and Last Chronicles on the WotWE, instead of the standard creation story, was a misstep, in my opinion. And there are some other things that I have misgivings about, but don't need to make a big list.

So, somebody please assure me that this is going to be tied up satisfactorily and consistently in the last novel. What are the loose ends?[/u][/i]
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

The only way you are going to get confidence is to either have faith or read his other series. Having read the two previous Chronicles, Mordant's Need, and the GAP, I am very confident that I will find the ending to The Last Dark highly satisfying.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Trust SRD.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

My hopes are high...although maybe that is easier for those of us who like or love the LC's so far.
I mean, I don't see the problem with the Worm...perhaps because I don't see it as a change of story basis. The Worm's awakening is the natural outcome of those who dare to "force a moment to its crisis." [maybe that's in part cuz I always assumed the Worm was at least partly literal, not ONLY myth/metaphor...and I don't see the conflict some do between the various Creations]

I think things like "Lost" fail because the ending denies or marginalizes [or in some cases pretends non-existence] of important and powerful previous events/moments.
I trust SRD wouldn't do that...I'm not sure he COULD do that, at least not on purpose.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Trust SRD

Post by SkurjMaster »

The only set of things of SRD's production that I have not read are the Axebrewder series. I have the Gap (almost as riveting as the first Chrons), Mordant's Need, all TC books so far, and his short story collections.

I was also hurt by small things like the inconsistency over the Guardian of the One Tree. He is dealing with a lot of territory! I guess I just want it to be so good that I am afraid that it will be bad.

I guess that I will just have to trust him. I have read his other works and have always been satisfied.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Might I ask why you have not picked up the "Man Who..." books?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm reminded by the last Potter book. I thought that there was no way she could wrap up all the loose ends and have a fantastic ending but she nailed it big time.
SRD won't let me down.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Any lesser writer would fail at this task given the scope of the story. I do not foresee disappointment.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by SkurjMaster »

Savor Dam wrote:Might I ask why you have not picked up the "Man Who..." books?
Just never looked appealing.
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Steve was worried himself about his ability to give the series the ending it deserves. All I have to say is:

Pulls. It. Off.

(I'm sure Seareach can back me up on this.)

With regards to Roger impersonating Thomas. That whole book was aimed at tearing down Linden's hopes - pushing her toward resurrecting Covenant, and thus waking the Worm. Even the attacks by the skurj. Foul could easily have sent a swarm of them and wiped Linden and company off the face of the Earth. But he only wanted to reassure her that she did not suffice by herself - she needed Covenant.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.

Return to “The Last Dark”