My Thoughts While Reading AATE

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Vraith wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:I am so tempted to comment in response to that, Vraith...
:goodnevil:
But in this case it is better for all involved for discretion to win out over knowledge. I'll say only that Luci was the first to refer to Menolly as the concierge of the Watch...and I will continue to do so until a better candidate emerges.
My interpretation of that is:
"So at some Elo-fest or similar gathering, Menolly hooked a bunch of people up with Pot, and some folk got lucky."
One can get lucky at E-Fest? 8O
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

rdhopeca wrote:
Vraith wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:I am so tempted to comment in response to that, Vraith...
:goodnevil:
But in this case it is better for all involved for discretion to win out over knowledge. I'll say only that Luci was the first to refer to Menolly as the concierge of the Watch...and I will continue to do so until a better candidate emerges.
My interpretation of that is:
"So at some Elo-fest or similar gathering, Menolly hooked a bunch of people up with Pot, and some folk got lucky."
One can get lucky at E-Fest? 8O
I'll just pull an Effy.
Savor Dam wrote:bratwurt
Savor Dam wrote:pie...
Savor Dam wrote:admittedly, both highly addictive
Savor Dam wrote:housewarming gift
Savor Dam wrote::3M:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

NOT FAIR!
I have no freaking idea what the face-atar in menolly's post means!

It LOOKS like blushing...so I'll assume my original summation is correct despite intervening denials and figure out how to reach Menolly when of need a little sum'n sum'n of sum kind.

/whistle
/point "WHAT's THAT!!!
/vanish

BTW, on topic
[to stay on topic]
I HAD a thought while reading AATE.
I thought I had it here in my pocket,
Well, I guess I thought wrong.
Never been wrong before.
Guess all things end.
But I'm against it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Vraith, every word I have written here is the truth. Menolly is not a source of what you seek...or appear to be seeking.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:Vraith, every word I have written here is the truth. Menolly is not a source of what you seek...or appear to be seeking.
Facts and truth will absolutely not stop what I think and say to keep dreams alive!
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

OK...have it your way. Everyone has their own delusions they cherish.

Menolly's blush emoticon (the equivalent of the phrase "soft smile" she used to use here on the Watch) was in response to the spin Frosty put on my earlier comments by artfully quoting them somewhat out of context. While that was not entirely on the mark, it was orders-of-magnitude closer to the truth than the speculation you cling to.

Not to say that she may not have partaken of such back in the mists of time. Don't know; had not met her yet and any stories I may have heard are naught but hearsay. Pretty sure she was never more than a casual consumer, surely not a distributor. On my own past, I do not comment. ;)

OTOH, Vraith, if you are truly that interested, come on out to Washington. It's legal here now...and while you are here, we'd be happy to get to meet you. Perhaps we could "spark" some interest in a mini-fest of sorts?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Hope we didn't scare the new royalty away... :?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I share that hope.

As Avatar says, some of us are quite mad here...and that has been off-putting to some new members. Queen Christine had shown a lot of promise and insight in her first score of posts. I am optimistic that she will continue to grace the Watch with more.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Post by Queen Christine »

Frostheart wrote:
Queen Christine wrote: I love the all the Giants, so lots of love here for my Swordmainnir!
Stone and Sea, she's the Ironhand in disguise! 8O
Sly ol' sneak; should have suspected somesuch shenanigans. Always claims how solemn and regal she acts...giantish aristocracy...as if such an oddity e'en exists...grhbhrrmhrrh...

Now, is this turning into a pimping thread? :P If so, null will be along shortly. :P

Oh, and Foul could 'reek havoc' just by standing in one place.

Egads you have unmasked me! LOL
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Frostheart wrote:Hope we didn't scare the new royalty away... :?
Awwww, you guys rock. :D I didn't get scared away, just got busy.

Plus, I wanted to post when I had something more to add about AATE. Unfortunately, I found myself plodding through the book, and I didn't really have anything positive to say. I finished it last night, and overall it left me feeling a little blah.

I still feel that the beginning of the book was great. I enjoyed the beginning of AATE way more than I did any parts of ROTE or FR. But once we found our group in the Lost Deep, I just felt that the pacing became horrible and the entire book from this point forward was a real chore for me.

I remember saying that the THOOLAH in me was crumbling, because I was really sympathizing with Linden at the beginning. But sheesh, I just can't stand her. It's not that Linden the character is detestable. I get her emotions, worries and fears. The mom in me totally gets the mom in her. I just don't need to read her feelings over and over and over again. I GET IT. Give me her thoughts and motivations once or twice, but I don't need to read the same thing worded in a slightly different manner over and over and over again. I was freaking BORED having to hear her thoughts for the millionth time. And honestly, getting some chapters from Covenant's POV has reminded me why I first became a THOOLAH. I HATE reading from Linden's POV. Linden would be a much more enjoyable character if her inner angst wasn't shoved down my throat.

Liand's death. Wow. I think Liand was a good character. I never felt passionate for the character because I feel like he was in the background too much, and wasn't front and center enough. But I was still shocked and disappointed in the way he was killed. I really thought that we would see Liand grow and develop and that he was going to have a big role to play in the final book. His death to me was kind of a throw away moment and wasn't exciting or heart breaking. I was just really disappointed that we lost him so soon and that it wasn't even a big deal death. I realize that his death played a big role in freeing Jeremiah's mind, I just wish it would have been better.

Anele dying, again, it felt to me like no big deal. It was just like, "Here he is, oh look now he's dead. Let's move on." I just thought it was anti-climactic.

Galt dying was very satisfying. I had been hoping he was Stave's son, so that revelation made me happy. Stave has become my absolute favorite character in the entire TCTC series. I love him and will be devastated if/when he dies.

The end of the book was a let down. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer. It just wasn't a big climactic ending. The only part that made me feel emotional was when Joan reached her arms out to the Ranyhyn. That was a sad moment to me. Other than that, I just didn't feel any tension or stress during the whole Covenant/Joan showdown. I felt like the book was going through the motions. I was wanting a big OMG moment that shocked me or had me feeling like I was unable to breathe.

I don't know. I just feel like all 3 books were lacking something. I don't feel like I am making an emotional connection to the characters like I did in the first and second chrons. I think part of it is that I honestly don't care about Jeremiah. I realize he is a big character and he will play a huge role in the final book. I just haven't connected to him, and even Pahni and Bhapa are just there for me and don't matter to me as much as they should.

I will say that I was very happy for Linden when Jeremiah was fully present and was happy to see her. That was a good scene. When that chapter ended and went straight to Covenant's POV I found myself saying, "NOOO! I finally want to hang out with Linden and see her interact with Jeremiah, and now you are making me leave!" So I am hopeful that having Jeremiah back will make Linden a happier, more bearable character in the next book.

I have seen a lot of people saying that once they go back and re-read ROTE, FR or AATE that they enjoy it more the second time around. So I will give it a try and see if that changes my perspective.

I think my expectations were too high because of my love for the first and second chrons. Perhaps I am not being fair to these 3 books. I don't know.

But, I am definitely looking forward to The Last Dark. I have read many opinions on how TLD will end. I just hope and pray that it is not something stupid like Pam Ewing waking up with Bobby coming out of the shower and you realize everything had been a dream. I am one who wants the Land to be real. I get the whole concept of it being a manifestation of Covenant's emotions, but I will be horribly disappointed if it all end with him waking up in front of the police car and realizing it was all a dream.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm glad we didn't scare you away, My Lady :lol:

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the second half of AATE but not surprised. It mirrors my own experience with the book. The glow of being back in the presence of Covenant lasts for a while but then you realise that he's only going to be present in snatches because of his condition. (Now that I think of it there are a number of characters in the final Chrons who are only partially present: Anele, Jeremiah, Joan, Covenant, Esmer. This fractured characteristic in important characters is very frustrating to me as a reader.)

I am of THOOLAH but I am first and foremost for SRD and I am always delighted when someone enjoys the Last Chrons (even if I can't understand why :? ) so I am disappointed that the experience wasn't sustained for you. Like yourself I have found it very hard to become invested in the characters (excepting, maybe Stave) and felt very little when Liand and Anele were almost casually wiped out of the story. Compare the deaths of Verement, Shetra, Hyrim, Hergrom, Hollian and Hamako to those of poor Anele and Liand. They felt so much less meaningful to me.

Unfortunately this leaves me very flat in relation to The Last Dark. I have absolutely no expectations for it. Of course I will buy it when it comes out (actually I might pre-order a copy so that I can be in on the excitement of peoples' first reaction), but if SRD can do anything in the book that surprises or excites me that will be a bonus. I know people say 'trust SRD', and I do, but I am not expecting any miracles.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

QC, despite your waffling, we welcome you into THOOLAH. Your membership card, pin, password and instructions on the secret handshake are on the way.
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

ussusimiel - I want to marry your post and have it's babies. You described my feelings in a much more eloquent way than I ever could. :)

dlbpharmd - Awesome! I will wear my pin with pride, LOL!
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Queen Christine wrote:ussusimiel - I want to marry your post and have it's babies. You described my feelings in a much more eloquent way than I ever could. :)
You are being overly modest, My Lady, you write fluently and well. *bows*

I have been proposed to on the Watch before (thanks, ali! :biggrin:), but this is the first time that one of my posts has been proposed to!? I'm going to have to sit it down and tell it about the birds and the bees or it might end up producing postlets :lol:

I'll also have to ask you, My Lady, what your intentions are in relation to my post? Are they decent? Will you treat it as it deserves to be treated? Will you keep it in the style it has become accustomed to (access to good dictionaries, regular exposure to rich SRD-like vocabulary, the company of superior poetry etc.)?

u.
Are posted on the door,
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Gee, U! ( or should that be "G U !" )

Your earlier post has honored by a proposal from a royal. While I semi-completely understand the independence the Irish are well-known for, surely you didn't mean to challenge Queen Christine's intentions so forthrightly?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Ah, well, too bad you didn't enjoy AATE. However, the books speak in a different manner to each of us--some find the 2nd chronicles lacking and choose to behold the 1st as the pinnacle of the series. I believe I was prepared for the slowness and other shortcomings (yes, they do exist): I actually had read quite a lot of spoilers/reviews by the time I reached FR's middlegrounds, and had understood the wealth of stylistic differences between these and the previous tomes, and that many did not regard these in a positive light. Nevertheless, in spite of the flaws, I grew to enjoy the story. :shrug: During my own round of dissection noticed they're far deeper than I had originally fathomed: just as much of Easter eggs hidden inside onions as the first six. Should do my own re-reading when and if I manage to unglue my nose from those damn addictive Erikson novels; hope you can be persuaded to do the same, in particular if it might improve the experience.

Often still deem I'm too young for this board; I recall from my years in other fandoms, especially Harry Potter, that if some minor character did not receive enough characterization in the actual books, people wrote their own storylines, of course with varying results, yet one could always find some true gems floating upon the mucky oceans of drivel. While this board does not get pestered by the "<3 <3 <3 <3 OMG LeGoLa5!!!! =^___^=" fangirls (gaaah), I miss this other aspect of larger fandoms. The very least we get some silly stuff out of the bad writing/illustrating treads, but elsewise next to nothing. Don't care how blasphemous this sounds; this is how the mundane fandoms work. :P
For what it's worth, I've done my lot with the giants. Maybe Deer could type that "Adventures of the Young Harrow" piece. :biggrin:
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Savor Dam wrote:Gee, U! ( or should that be "G U !" )

Your earlier post has honored by a proposal from a royal. While I semi-completely understand the independence the Irish are well-known for, surely you didn't mean to challenge Queen Christine's intentions so forthrightly?
:lol:

If the proposal had been directly to myself I might have been a little abashed but also more than a little honoured. However, since the proposal is to one of my 'children', I feel the need to be protective and direct. Under such circumstances I feel that the usual extra deference allowed to royalty must be set aside. If the Lady perceives my mode of address was less than couth, I shall, of course, apologise, but I shall not withdraw the inquiry :lol:

u.

P.S. You're just egging me on SD to see if I can come up with even more flowery and formal language :biggrin: Still, formality and courtesy are always welcome and fun!
Are posted on the door,
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

If people begin contesting over the floweriness of their language, I shall switch to Finnish...Old Giantish only and use the alliterative Kalevala meter on everything. :|

Return to “Against All Things Ending”