What is Foul's true goal?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

What is Foul's true goal?

Post by SkurjMaster »

As we approach the release of the last book in the TLCTC, my curiosity steered me toward Donaldson's web site and a search through the Gradual Interview. I believe that the quote below is a bit of a teaser about where Foul thinks he is going with his plans:
It's always been my understanding that "victory" for LF would be escape from Time. He can't "win victory over the Creator," any more than life can win victory over death (or vice versa). They are both Essential Principles of eternity: like light and dark, one has no meaning without the other. In the context of eternity, LF's "victory over the Creator" would be his escape from Time, which would necessarily include the destruction of the Arch, which would in turn destroy the specific instance of Creation that includes the Earth and the Land. Putting it as childishly as possible: "I broke your favorite toy, so I win."

However, there are suggestions in "The Runes of the Earth" that LF may have raised his sights a bit (said the author shamelessly).
If Foul's sights are 'higher' than simply freeing himself from the Arch and he can't defeat the Creator, then WHAT is he actually aiming for? This should be the point of The Last Dark, shouldn't it?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: What is Foul's true goal?

Post by Vraith »

SkurjMaster wrote:As we approach the release of the last book in the TLCTC, my curiosity steered me toward Donaldson's web site and a search through the Gradual Interview. I believe that the quote below is a bit of a teaser about where Foul thinks he is going with his plans:
It's always been my understanding that "victory" for LF would be escape from Time. He can't "win victory over the Creator," any more than life can win victory over death (or vice versa). They are both Essential Principles of eternity: like light and dark, one has no meaning without the other. In the context of eternity, LF's "victory over the Creator" would be his escape from Time, which would necessarily include the destruction of the Arch, which would in turn destroy the specific instance of Creation that includes the Earth and the Land. Putting it as childishly as possible: "I broke your favorite toy, so I win."

However, there are suggestions in "The Runes of the Earth" that LF may have raised his sights a bit (said the author shamelessly).
If Foul's sights are 'higher' than simply freeing himself from the Arch and he can't defeat the Creator, then WHAT is he actually aiming for? This should be the point of The Last Dark, shouldn't it?

Well I, and I'm sure I recall that others had similar ideas, thought part of his greater purpose/plan...whatever it was he said...was to imprison the Creator as he was imprisoned [only perhaps worse...like in a dead place...even worse, a dead place with a window that he can look through and watch, helpless, while LF corrupts other worlds.].
Some things in AATE made that almost certain.
Or what is a Jeremiah for?

Edited to fix major quoting scewiness...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Vraith wrote:
SkurjMaster wrote:As we approach the release of the last book in the TLCTC, my curiosity steered me toward Donaldson's web site and a search through the Gradual Interview. I believe that the quote below is a bit of a teaser about where Foul thinks he is going with his plans:

Well I, and I'm sure I recall that others had similar ideas, thought part of his greater purpose/plan...whatever it was he said...was to imprison the Creator as he was imprisoned [only perhaps worse...like in a dead place...even worse, a dead place with a window that he can look through and watch, helpless, while LF corrupts other worlds.].
Some things in AATE made that almost certain.

Edited to fix major quoting scewiness...
Makes sense to me.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Vraith wrote:
I just had an idea last night. What if Foul is going to use Jeremiah like The Merovingian used Train Man? The Train Man built a place for Merv to hide while the Matrix got reloaded, thus side-stepping the "end" of the world; similarly it might be possible for Jeremiah to build a "safe house" for Foul to sit out the collapse/recreation of the Arch then reappear.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Vraith wrote:
I just had an idea last night. What if Foul is going to use Jeremiah like The Merovingian used Train Man? The Train Man built a place for Merv to hide while the Matrix got reloaded, thus side-stepping the "end" of the world; similarly it might be possible for Jeremiah to build a "safe house" for Foul to sit out the collapse/recreation of the Arch then reappear.
I think he could do that [probably...seems to fit the "logic" of Jerry's power].
But how would it help him with what I think is his strongest desire now...to PUNISH the Creator?
[And BTW, I think I've said somewhere, I think that is similar to why the Elo are afraid of Jerry. They're afraid he'll box them up forever...I think he isn't Foul's tool yet, and if he boxed them he'd let them back out when it was safe....though I don't like them, so I would be fine if Jerry threw away the key... :biggrin:
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “The Last Dark”